Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
When is a book not a book when its a DOC!?

Here is an odd one?

I have in my house three daughters.

Two of them are budding authors and regularly type short stories or poems. I in turn, using Calibre, MOBI them up and drop them on their normal Kindle4NT.

Now they have, for Christmas, Kindle Fire HDs. I'm slowly going through and making sure when they get turned on, on Christmas day they are away. So I've dl'ed apps (found via the web or recommendations here) signed them up for Skype, Gmail etc

Today I installed a few books and thought it would be nice to upload each others stories to their new Kindles.

After a successful install I went to check they where there. 3 of the Showed in the books but not the other 7?

I restarted the Kindle to see if this sorted it and it didn't.

So I searched on the Kindle and then I saw 3 Books and bellow 7 DOCs. Opening this there where the stories.

I assumed they hadn't been MOBI'ed up so jumping back on Calibre checked and they where.

So I deleted them from the device and reinstalled.

The same again?

Where am I going wrong here?
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
I don't think that Calibre does .doc to mobi. Open the docs, save as .RTF, load the .RTFs on Calibre and try to convert.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I cannot recall how it was originally saved (I use Libre) however it certainly is a Mobi file now.

I wonder what is so different that the Kindle HD treats it as a Doc and the other as a proper book?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Maybe try mobipocket creator first?

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePag...sp?Language=EN
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

I now this possibly sounds daft, but what does the Mobipocket Creator do?

Is the Calibres Mobi Convertor not overly great for conversions?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
It is another way to convert text into e-format.

But I suspect that the problem you are having as all of us are, that the kfhd will recognize some books as books and most others that are non-amazon as documents. I am sure that this problem has users pulling their hair out because books and such non-amazon content ends up in the document folder instead of the books folder and are displayed as such. It is sorta the same with audio books, if they are not bought from amazon or in the audible format. They are not shown or playable under the audible player and are only playable as music files.

It seems that if the books or documents are not connected with amazon in some way or fashion they will not be shown under the fires menu as they should or wanted.

It sorta sucks that the fires main displays menus are only for amazon stuff.

The program I linked (have not tried with the fire) does a good job of converting other formats of text into kindle or other reader e-format. It is just another tool besides calibre to use.
Tho calibre IS the Swiss army knife of converting tools available.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
jruschme
jruschme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
It seems that if the books or documents are not connected with amazon in some way or fashion they will not be shown under the fires menu as they should or wanted.

It sorta sucks that the fires main displays menus are only for amazon stuff.
What's strange to me is that the Fire is the only device which works this way. I don't know about the K4, KT or KPW, but on the apps and older Kindles, user documents are handled as books and show up in a single unified archive.
jruschme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

It's bloody annoying. Still at least they are on there
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruschme View Post
What's strange to me is that the Fire is the only device which works this way. I don't know about the K4, KT or KPW, but on the apps and older Kindles, user documents are handled as books and show up in a single unified archive.
The KF has always separated the two. I don't mind it at all. When the KF first came out it didn't even have access to the Personal Document cloud. I was so happy when we got that feature of course that introduced the cover bug we now have though but to be able sync and have books in the cloud was nice. I prefer it this way otherwise all pdocs would be mixed in a huge Archive and I couldn't find anything.

It easy to get control where the books go. Just change the tag from pdoc to ebok using Mobi Metadata Editor or Calibre.

I only have a handful of books sideloaded on the Kindle Fire they all show up as Books and everything else in the documents area.
Anything emailed to the KF will be a pdoc. Anything sideloaded if done right will show up as books.

The new KF has a new feature where you can upload books in the documents folder on Amazon Cloud drive and they show up that way too.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-01-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

Know I now that it happens (oddly on some and not others however) I'm happy enough. Reading them as a DOC is no problem that I can see
Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
KindleMama
KindleMama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Are they labeled as a PDOC when you convert them? If you remove that tag, they should go in the books section.
KindleMama is offline   Reply With Quote