Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
dakai
dakai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
Kindle 3G keeps freezing and restarting

There was not a sign when I reading on my kindle 3g yesterday, it suddenly froze and I thought it was only another restart-to-fix-it, and I restarted it and it frozen again within one minute , and then my kindle began the cycle of frozen to restart.

I thought is was the 3.4 system's bug, so I tried to flash it to older version using ATF,
I tried 3.3 and it still froze, and 3.02-factory kernel was no luck, I read the threads thinking maybe it's the indexing bug, but the kindle don't even give me enough time to type the whole disableIndexing thing.

I even tried to flash the Chinese alternative system, the 'Duokan', installing well, and froze as original system.

I never use any Amazon's cover and I tried to remove the metal tap inside the kindle which is causing the 'cover's bug' but I got no luck.

The warranty is out of date so now I am totally having no idea what to do, maybe I should buy a KP to replace this beloved half-brick kindle 3g? ((
dakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Recharge the battery.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm not sure what to make out of "frozen" in combination with "restarting". knc1's advice is fine, however.

If all data is backed up, I would try and clean the document partition. Maybe it's a broken file system or even a single broken document that messes things up.

I don't think there is a "cover bug" with the Kindle 3. It doesn't even have the corresponding sensor?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@Hawhill: dakai mentioned the cover tab.
It might be that as long as the cover is plugged in, the light stays on.

So new standard answer for the K3:
Remove the K3 from the lighted cover, recharge the battery.

(I will have to get my "recharge the battery" rubber stamp changed also.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
dakai
dakai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Recharge the battery.
Thanks for the advice, it looks like the low-battery situation, but the battery are almost full, I flashed it several times last night and update the system all the way up to 3.3 today ,there is still 40% battery currency after all this.
dakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
kzd76
kzd76 knows what time it iskzd76 knows what time it iskzd76 knows what time it iskzd76 knows what time it iskzd76 knows what time it iskzd76 knows what time it iskzd76 knows what time it iskzd76 knows what time it iskzd76 knows what time it iskzd76 knows what time it iskzd76 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3
I did not find this solution previously on the Internet and it can help others.

I have a 2 year old Kindle 3 (Keyboard) with wifi, and it frozen continously. I finally deregistered then wiped then facory-reseted, tried every possible way to re-initialize. Continously means after a couple of minutes, especially when I tried to enter the wifi configuration or register my Amazon account. I have a non lighting cover from the first unboxing, but it did not helped when i restarted the device without it.

I finally decided to tear it apart as it has no waranity yet - and removed all the cables from the main board and the battery. Then waited a couple of minutes and re-installed the battery and the eInk display cable. The device started successfully however without any connected button it was useless. Removed the battery and connected the main keyboard and the battery again. After booting up the keyboard worked, could download a book from the store. I could start reading and the device worked normally, but page forward and backward was not operating. So I turned it off, removed battery and connected the right side keys. (Note: the left side keys have a wire to the upper cover hole!) After this the kindle started once more, page forward and backward is working and the device keeps working after a long time.

As it was problem in previous devices i removed all metallic parts from the lower cover holder before put back the backplate.

So my opinion is that the freezing issue is caused by the cover holes on the side of the device and you have to tear the device apart to solve the issue.

Note: If your device still has waranty, send it back to Amazon, they will replace it with a new one!
kzd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I actually opened up a buggy Kindle3, removed the little plastic lower cover holder, and put electrician's tape over the contacts before putting everything back. Paint on the lower cover insert also works, but it tends to scrape off.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote