Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Another B&N Experience

Some of you may have read my thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95552

Regarding my terrible experience with B&N and the Nook. Well, today I went into another B&N (there are 4 within a 10 mile radius of my house), and talked to a gentleman who was incredible to talk to. I asked about a 1002 Nook specifically for soft rooting, and he was very interested in the rooting process, so he went and looked for one for me. They had 2 Wi-Fi and 2 3G left in stock, so I got one of the Wi-Fi ones. They asked if I wanted the warranty, and since I was rooting it, I said no, it voids the warranty. They said, we don't care, we'll swap it out anyway. So I will buy one from them in a few days, I've got 30 to purchase one.

Now I have to go back and teach the others how to do it. This was a quote from them:

"We are very hacker friendly, didn't you see the sign?" LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Well that's pretty cool!! I have a B&N 45 miles away, we go there whenever we're in that town. Yesterday was a beautiful day here, so we took the top down on my Tracker and headed out.
Walked into B&N and was greeted with a huge nook display and a very friendly woman offering oatmeal cookie samples. Took her about five seconds to figure out that I probably knew more about the device than she did; and to establish that my suspicion was correct: B&N sales people have a lot in common with mushrooms - corporate feeds them a line of bull**** and keeps them in the dark!
That's not to say the experience was bad mind you... she was a darn good salesperson and if I wasn't waiting to see if nook comes up with the new Pearl screens, I might well have walked out with a nook yesterday, just due to her.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'm going back there tomorrow because he really wanted to see what the soft-rooted nook can do, and is going to buy the other 1002 Wi-fi just so he can do it. He said he upgrades his other to 1.4.1, and I informed him not to do it.

I just got done softrooting mine (twice, there was a problem the first time...most likely user error), and I'm really loving it. I just used the feeds to DL Wizard of Oz and a couple Philip K. Dick books, and I'm surprised as to how well the Chess program plays.

I gotta say, I'm kind of glad I cancelled my Kindle. I really didn't think I would be..but I'm VERY happy with this!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I did make it clear to her that one of the most-wanted features is the integration of the My Documents with the B&N Library, without having to softroot the device. I doubt that they'll ever DO it, but squeaky wheels and all that.

I have yet to order either device, as I said, I'm waiting to see if nook ends up with a Pearl screen, but if I had the money and could justify it, I'd have both devices, a K3 and a nook.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Wise choice sir, wise choice, I just got my nook after twoo weeks traveling on the _USA and back to Chile, but it was worth it. Better my nook don't fail being outside US lol
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard

I went back to that same store to show the guy the hacked Nook, and ran into someone selling the nook to a woman who had NO idea about e-Readers. I was standing there listening while waiting to ask her where the associate is. One of the answers was saying they were the most knowledgeable people about the Nook. LOL.

Eventually the woman noticed I had a nook and said that I looked like I had a question about it.

I said, no I just wanted to talk to the guy about the hacked nook. I got a crazy look from her. When asked why I would do that, I stated that it doesn't do what it's supposed to do out of the box (in my opinion). That kind of peaked the womans interest and she asked "what doesn't it do?" So I started in about the cover flow not working with non B&N purchases, not having all the books in the same folder, not being able to organize them etc. She then asked the sales person "You didn't tell me all that" she responded with "I didn't know." "But you said you guys were the most knowledgeable people."

Oops, I think I lost them a sale. Anyway, they got the sale back because the other employee bought the other 1002 Nook while I was there, he took a break, and we softrooted it LOL. There was another sales person that now wants to do it!