Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #2086
timfrost
Tim Frost
timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 3
My Kindle tried to update itself from 3.1 to 3.3 yesterday and failed. I uninstalled the screen saver hack. I tried the update manually. It appeared to work but the version remains on 3.1. Any advice appreciated as now I am still on 3.1 but with the dreaded factory screensavers. Thanks..
timfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #2087
filsmick
filsmick began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello,

I bought the Kindle 4 a few days ago, and I would like the jailbreak and install various hacks above. Unfortunately, because of its release (too) recently, I see no article about the jailbreak or hacks for this version of the Kindle. Is this jailbreak is compatible Kindle 4?
For I dare not try it without being certain that there is no risk of it being screwed up.

Thank you in advance.

PS: I am a French who has used Google Translate, so if the translation is bad, sorry.
filsmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #2088
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is NO jailbreaks for Kindle 4 yet.
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #2089
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrost View Post
My Kindle tried to update itself from 3.1 to 3.3 yesterday and failed. I uninstalled the screen saver hack. I tried the update manually. It appeared to work but the version remains on 3.1. Any advice appreciated as now I am still on 3.1 but with the dreaded factory screensavers. Thanks..
You can update from 3.1 to 3.3 without uninstalling the jailbreak or hacks. I have JB + SS + Font hacks. After the manual update to 3.3 my hacks are the same as before!

Check you used the correct update file for your Kindle.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #2090
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Question

@NiLuJe:
I had no problems installing the 3.2.1 jailbreak on my Kindle 3 Wifi, but I noticed that .zip file doesn't contain a corresponding 3.2.1 uninstall.bin file. Did you miss including it in the .zip file or will update_jailbreak_0.10.N_k3w_uninstall.bin uninstall the 3.2.1 jailbreak, too?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #2091
timfrost
Tim Frost
timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

3.3 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
You can update from 3.1 to 3.3 without uninstalling the jailbreak or hacks. I have JB + SS + Font hacks. After the manual update to 3.3 my hacks are the same as before!

Check you used the correct update file for your Kindle.
Sadly it's not working for me. It goes the update process, restarts but I'm still on 3.1...
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #2092
greyTraveler
Enthusiast
greyTraveler began at the beginning.

@timfrost
When I updated I was concerned about failures so (after I was sure the jail break works on 3.3) I uninstalled everything. At that point the update worked fine (it may well have if I left some things in); then I ran the 3.2.1 jailbreak and re-installed my stuff.

It did reboot several times when doing the 3.3 update -- it worried me but seems to have been fine.
greyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #2093
z0mtec
z0mtec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2
My Kindle has the v3.2.1 and will make a update to 3.3 with the file Update_576290015_611680021.bin. (Automatik download)
But it fails.

I have Backup my Documents and unistall my hacks and make a Factory reset.

updates-provider_0.2
update_loc_de_0.7Mp
kindle-ss-0.22.N
physkeyb0080
kindle-fonts-4.6.N-k3
update_keybru_0.06
readabilitymod-0.1
lpad-pkg-001c
kindle-usbnetwork-0.33.N
freedownload_0.3
kindle-3.2.1-jailbreak-0.5

The update failes again with a error U007 in the left corner.
I have try a full update with the file from the Amazon side. Update_kindle_3.3_B008.bin. It doesn't work.

Can anyone help me?

Sorry for my English.
z0mtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #2094
timfrost
Tim Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyTraveler View Post
@timfrost
When I updated I was concerned about failures so (after I was sure the jail break works on 3.3) I uninstalled everything. At that point the update worked fine (it may well have if I left some things in); then I ran the 3.2.1 jailbreak and re-installed my stuff.

It did reboot several times when doing the 3.3 update -- it worried me but seems to have been fine.
Thanks... but tried all that to no avail. I suspect I need to remove the original jailbreak, but I don't know how... anyone have an idea? it was installed with ss hack 0.18 maybe six months ago.

Tim
Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #2095
Matan
Enthusiast
Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
I have jailbrake and usbnet installed, as well as a few others, but no fonts or screen saver hacks, and the only thing that prevented the update to 3.3 was the physkeyb (Hardware keyboard localization) hack.
Matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #2096
greyTraveler
Enthusiast
greyTraveler began at the beginning.

@timfrost

Yes, I removed the original jail break. If you've installed a version of NiLuJe's jail break, two things come to mind: (1) is there a ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES file in the top level directory on your Kindle? If so NiLuJe's jail break prevents Amazon updates -- just delete the file and you should be fine. If you need to uninstall the jail break, I'm pretty sure he recommends you use his latest uninstall in all cases. I'm not sure if the latest jail break uninstall is always the correct choice with yifanlu's jail break.
greyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #2097
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Doitsu: There's no need for a 3.2.1+ specific uninstall file, no .

@timfrost: Check this thread for more details on how to get the logs/pinpoint what's causing the update to fail.

@z0mtec: Like greyTraveler said, it does sound like there's still some kind of jailbreak/update block still in place. You might want to try uninstalling *everything* jailbreak(s?) included, restart your Kindle, and try again.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #2098
ndr
ndr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@z0mtec

U007 usually means there's a problem with the signature verification.
You may telnet or ssh to kindle and check /proc/mounts for pubprodkey01.pem mounted or run the md5sum on /etc/uks/pubprodkey01.pem.
If it's mounted or md5 is different than "00cdf09ffae3e6eeb7ad62f0b27fc667" it'd mean that you have a custom key mounted. If you're not using ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES feature just do "umount -l /etc/uks/pubprodkey01.pem" and see if it helps.
ndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #2099
z0mtec
z0mtec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2
The /proc/mounts
PHP Code:
rootfs rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root ext3 ro,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered 0 0
proc 
/proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs 
/sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs 
/dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts 
/dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
rwfs 
/mnt/rwfs tmpfs rw,size=32768k 0 0
shm 
/dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
rwfs 
/var tmpfs rw,size=32768k 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p2 /var/local ext3 rw,sync,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
fsp 
/mnt/us fuse.fsp rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0 0 0
/dev/loop//mnt/base-us vfat rw,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8 0 0 
md5sum is 7130ce39bb3596c5067cabb377c7a9ed

I have pubprodkey01.pem and pubprodkey02.pem
When i umount -l /etc/uks/pubprodkey01.pem
then

What can i do?
Can u send me your pubprodkey01.pem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	umount.jpg
Views:	1334
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	78489   Click image for larger version

Name:	md5sum.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	78490  
z0mtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #2100
timfrost
Tim Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe;1811765@timfrost: Check [url=https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154323
this thread[/url] for more details on how to get the logs/pinpoint what's causing the update to fail.
@NiLuJe I put the Kindle into debug mode and the update worked. Bizarre?

Last edited by timfrost; 11-01-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: update

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet