Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
Kobo and Sony on the same PC

I have been using Sony Readers for a while (the PRS-500 was my first). The Sony Library software connected me to my account online, where I could add and delete PCs and Readers. Any authorized device could read any book downloaded by any other authorized device.

I just ordered an Aura H20, and while I am waiting for it to arrive, I am trying to understand how to set it up. How do I authorize the new device, without making it an island, or worse, breaking my Sony Readers?

I have a Kobo account, and most of my purchased books transferred from Sony, but I can't find the equivalent authorization process.
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you strip DRM you do not need to register your H2O with Adobe. You don't need the Kobo desktop software. I have never hooked my H2O up to the Kobo Desktop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
or both devices can have the same adobe ID - in fact both devices will auto-copy the PCs ID , I think, or will for sure copy it with a little manual encouragement....

which is what you'd want if say you had a library epub loan - you could then read it on either make of reader.

in fact you can go directly from library (overdrive) to device via the device browsers but they are such a pain to use it's better, IMHO ,to go library -> PC -> calibre -> device.

I think sony store ( as was- dead now ? ) used Adobe DRM, same as libraries do .

the only thing that won't work is buying a kobo format book for your kobo H2O then trying to put that on your old sony.. the books you have already from sony store should go onto kobo OK - via USB - and be readable if you set up lobo with same adobe ID. you may have to find where sony stores them on your PC first though & that's obscure AFAIK.

or maybe it's all much simpler, as kobo took over sony store they may now have a way of painlessly delivering your previously bought content to your new reader ?. you say most of your books have already transferred to their store...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Yes, Sony uses Adobe DRM. When I buy a book from Kobo, or when I borrow a book from the library, the .acsm file is opened automatically by the Sony Library software.

I am familiar with stripping DRM, but would prefer to rely on that only as a last resort.

Everything I have read talks about using the same Adobe ID. How do I find out what that is? If I have it, is there a way to enter it when I first setup my Kobo?

My problem is I understand enough to be concerned, but not enough to know what is really going on. Perhaps as long as I am installing the Kobo software onto a PC that is already authorized, everything will just work.

Has anyone else made the transition from Sony to Kobo, without stripping DRM?
Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you open Adobe Digital Edition (or ADE) on your PC with the Kobo attached, it will detect and prompt you to authorize the device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When you open Adobe Digital Edition (or ADE) on your PC with the Kobo attached, it will detect and prompt you to authorize the device.
yes, i was just about to type in the same thing. My son has my Kobo on loan so I can't check but you may be able to add the adobe ID directly to the device, I think "authorise my device" is on the settings menu.

Another way to find it , & to check if your PC has it, is to install the free adobe digital editions software on PC then look in the menus

as for what it is, an adobe ID is just an email address that you registered one time with adobe. your PC will know it even if you don't. I would expect that your sony reader will display it if asked, also.
NB there was a a scare at adobe, when lots of email + password combos were hacked, but you only need a matching password if you want to log into adobe. you don't need it to register a device and if you do change the password at adobe web site, as they recommend, there's no need to do anything to either of your readers.

the overdrive system for library book lending has helpful FAQ for this stuff, for various devices, that is what I mostly learned from.

FYI I got worried one time that I might run out of adobe authorizations - hit a too many devices rule. ( as I'd changed my PCs and my readers a few times) so I got into a web chat at adobe which was a pain - they seemed to know less than me !- but I came out of it with the info that I can use an id on up to 9 devices & I've never hit any "too many devices" limit

To see if you are on the adobe hacked list , use last pass adobe checker: enter your email address here https://lastpass.com/adobe/

& it will check for you, & will also tell you your password hint as stored by adobe if that was hacked. From that I learned that over 2000 people had the same adobe password as me, at the time of the hack, and that there were over 500 hints stored. It showed me all 500 of those hints, from which any idiot could deduce the password! duh!
last pass is v good, it has similar checkers for the big gmail hack ( I was not on that one) and for apple Ids ( don't have one of those so I'm immune)...

Last edited by cybmole; 12-23-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
ChrisI
Connoisseur

I could not find my Adobe ID in the Sony software or on the Reader itself. However, I did find this registry entry:

HKCU\Software\Adobe\Adept\Activation\0001\0005

with two values:

(Default) username
value <e-mail address>

I am assuming this e-mail address is my Adobe ID. It is an old address (it was year's ago that I setup my first Reader), but I can login to the adobe website with it.

When my H2O finally arrives, I'll use this to set it up. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

That should be it
Install ADE and that should confirm
Old 12-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
ChrisI
Connoisseur

Part of my confusion was that I already had ADE 2.0.1 installed. Regular library books loaded correctly directly into the Sony software, but OpenLibrary only works with ADE.

ADE 2.0.1 said it was not authorized, and when I tried to authorize I got an error about a problem with the authorization server.

After a little more poking on Mobileread, I uninstalled ADE 2, downloaded and installed ADE 1.7, and without doing anything else 1.7 said I was authorized and gave me the Adobe ID I had found in the registry.

All is well on the PC side, and I know what to do if my H2O ever arrives. It has been 10 days since I ordered. Called Kobo, and after a long time on hold they gave me a tracking number for Canada Post. The tracking number said a shipping label was created 7 days ago, but there is no further information. Kobo says the package has left their site, and to keep monitoring the tracking. We'll see.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #10
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Just for info, you can have both Sony Reader for PC installed on your pc, as well as Kobo Desktop without any conflict.

I download all my Kobo epubs into Sony Reader and then into Calibre, and then side load to PC. My ereader is not ADE authorised.

I choose not to have kepubs on my Glo, just side loaded epubs.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote