Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
LibraryCin
Connoisseur
LibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch issues

I've had this happen a few times in the past few weeks (and twice in the past few days). It may be a similar issue to this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230628

But I'm not sure. It looks like that is for the Kobo before the Touch?

Anyway, there are 21 pages to read through in that thread, and I'm not exactly sure it's the same thing, anyway. Plus, a lot of suggestions/recommendions go over my head!

So, I power on my Kobo and the pics of the book covers that are supposed to be there are blank. The first time it happened, my Kobo froze and I had to reset it. The next two times, I've been able to power it down and "fix" it when I got home. The times it didn't freeze, I was able to turn it back on, and see plenty of older books I have there, but nothing more recent. It sort of reverted (and both times I was able to see the older ones, it "reverted" to the same books remaining, so I'm assuming that's a certain point in time).

To fix it, I just plugged it in, re-synced it with the Kobo desktop, then deleted and re-added my library ebooks. As far as Adobe Digital Editions was concerned, those books were still there, but the Kobo wasn't seeing them, or allowing me to see them.

After "fixing" it at home, I'm able to use it again for a while... until the next time it does the same thing!

I'm not sure if there was an upgrade before this started happening or not. I know that the entire look changed with a recent upgrade, and I HATE highlighting now. It's awful!

Anyway, not sure if anyone knows what's happening here, or if there's anything I can do (that's fairly simple and straightforward and step-by-step), but I thought I'd ask here, just in case.

Thanks so much,
LibraryCin
LibraryCin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I can think of two things.

The simple one is the date. If that has been changed and set some time in the past, then it would explain why you are seeing old books on the home screen rather than new ones.

If it isn't the date, it sounds like a corrupt database. Signout on the device and then back in. This will generate a new database and reload the books. As you are using ADE, before signing out, backup the directory ".adobe-digital-editions". Then put it back on the device after signing in. This should prevent you from having to reauthorise the device using ADE.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
LibraryCin
Connoisseur
LibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Thank you, David. I'll check the date.

If that's not it, I'll need step by step instructions. I didn't even know I could sign out on my Kobo. How would I do that?

To backup the ".adobe-digital-editions"... You mean when I plug in my Kobo and the folder opens up, I think there is a file by that name? That's what I should back up before signing out and back in again? And then to put it back on the device, I would plug it in again, then copy/paste it back into that folder that opens up automatically for me?

Thanks for spelling things out! :-)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryCin View Post
Thank you, David. I'll check the date.

If that's not it, I'll need step by step instructions. I didn't even know I could sign out on my Kobo. How would I do that?
In the settings, there is an "Accounts" page. The first account is your Kobo account and it lists the others. Press the "Sign out" button next to it.
Quote:
To backup the ".adobe-digital-editions"... You mean when I plug in my Kobo and the folder opens up, I think there is a file by that name? That's what I should back up before signing out and back in again? And then to put it back on the device, I would plug it in again, then copy/paste it back into that folder that opens up automatically for me?
Yes, that will do it. One of the files inside the directory is hidden, so you don't see it in the directory. But by copying the directory, you will copy that file.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
LibraryCin
Connoisseur

Thanks, again, David. I did check and it's not the date, so I'll try the rest of your suggestions tomorrow (or more likely when I finish the book I'm currently reading, in hopes I don't lose my place! As long as it doesn't revert on its own, again, anyway).
Old 12-20-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryCin View Post
Thanks, again, David. I did check and it's not the date, so I'll try the rest of your suggestions tomorrow (or more likely when I finish the book I'm currently reading, in hopes I don't lose my place! As long as it doesn't revert on its own, again, anyway).
Yes, fix the problem at your convenience, not the devices. And reading the book is the important thing. Sometimes I think the denizens of this forum forget that. And I'm very guilty of that.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
LibraryCin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And reading the book is the important thing. Sometimes I think the denizens of this forum forget that. And I'm very guilty of that.
LOL! Thanks, again! I'll be back if I have more questions once I try your suggestions!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, fix the problem at your convenience, not the devices. And reading the book is the important thing. Sometimes I think the denizens of this forum forget that. And I'm very guilty of that.
I don't forget that, but I want to have things setup to my liking and then I will spend time reading. Sometimes the only reading I'll do is in bed before going to sleep.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
LibraryCin
Connoisseur

Well, that was brilliant! I knew I should have read your first message before starting anything. I got ahead of myself and signed out before looking back at your first messages telling me to back everything up first!

Well, I'm signed back in and it's syncing. I think I'll have to reauthorize ADE again, as well. That will be my next step.

Hopefully I didn't mess anything up by not backing up that file first...
Old 12-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
LibraryCin
Connoisseur

Well, I'm back and everything seems to be in order. I plugged it in, as well, to double check that ADE was working fine and it appears ok, as well, without having to reauthorize anything. I was able to delete the two library books I just finished, so I think it's ok. Of course, I'll get to double check that with the next ebook I check out.

The sync to Kobo seemed to go ok, as well. At least there's nothing noticeably missing.

Only time will tell whether or not I will turn it on one day and "lose" everything again, like what started this all.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-02-2015, 03:48 AM   #11
Murky
Murky began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Good day. Sorry for my English at first.
Second I have a problem. After factory reset and installing firmware 3.11.0 on my Kobo touch 905C Wifi adapter of reader isn't find wifi networks at all. Somebody can help me?
Murky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
LibraryCin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky View Post
Good day. Sorry for my English at first.
Second I have a problem. After factory reset and installing firmware 3.11.0 on my Kobo touch 905C Wifi adapter of reader isn't find wifi networks at all. Somebody can help me?
Hi, Murky. I don't know enough to help you out. If no one else replies here, you might want to start a new thread to see if that brings someone else to help you out. Maybe give it a title of: "Wifi networks" or something similar, so people will know by the title what your question is about.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Some people have had success installing this fix to their Kobo if it finds WiFi networks but won't add them.

Unable to add WiFi Network and solution
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
LibraryCin
Connoisseur

OK, it's happening again. I've followed the instructions that David provided to me above, but it still doesn't seem to be working.

I messed up (again) with copying that .adobe... file, though. I thought I copied the folder to my desktop, but apparently all I did was create a shortcut, so I guess I don't actually have a copy of that file. The file still appears to be on my Kobo, however, but nothing seems to be fixed.

ETA: I guess I should add that some books were able to be copied over after I signed out and back in again, but library books don't seem to be working (although ADE is telling me they are copied over...)

Last edited by LibraryCin; 11-01-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
LibraryCin
Connoisseur

I've looked again, and my library books DO appear to be there, after all.

None of my books are marked as finished, though, so I'm trying to go through to mark the ones that are finished. My Kobo is constantly freezing on me, though, and I'm having to use a paper clip to reset it every time. I wish it would stop freezing (I also wish it was easier to mark each book as read AND to change pages as I scroll through my library of books... both very time-consuming with this version).

Last edited by LibraryCin; 11-01-2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: punctuation