Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #256
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
That is great news AlPe. Fingers crossed that we get this fixed. I am interested in the Aura, but I really want custom dictionaries to work on it too.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #257
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
You're welcome. I decided to contact KoboHelp on Twitter because I was getting several emails (13 so far) from people with broken dictionaries after updating to 2.5.0.

I posted a notice on the main page of Penelope's Google Code page.

I hope they fix the problem soon (also because it is in their own interest).
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #258
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I pushed a new version of Penelope (1.19), which supports merging multiple dictionaries into a single one.

Docs and files:
http://www.albertopettarin.it/penelope.html
http://code.google.com/p/penelope-dictionary-converter/
Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #259
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mietek81 View Post
Thank You for all your help and efforts. I will patiently wait for the future versions of this beautiful girl which Penelope is
Give a try at the latest version of Penelope.

The only constraint is that input dictionaries must be of the same format. (Yeah, I need a deep refactoring of the code!) You might want to perform some intermediate conversions (e.g., to XML or CSV) and then merge them together.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #260
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Give a try at the latest version of Penelope.
Thank You. I will give it a try on this weekend
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #261
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Custom dictionaries work again under 2.5.1
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #262
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Great news. Thank you, ewphoenix123!
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #263
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
but not the arrow to open the keyboard.
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #264
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
I'm impressed, my custom dictionary is working again; I really did not expect Kobo to fix it so quickly. Thanks Kobo!

Last edited by ShellShock; 04-24-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #265
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I'm impressed, my custom dictionary is working again; I really did not expect Kobo to fix it so quickly. Thanks Kobo!
can you return a Word with the keyboard?

Dictionary French, Italian, German I can't get, the arrow closed the dictionary.
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #266
ShellShock
Wizard

The arrow button is still broken for me too.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #267
Loceka
Loceka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Well the Kobo team seems to care about their customers.
I contacted the Kobo support (both the french one and the "official" canadian one) concerning file formats marked as supported but that wouldn't actually work (text, mobi and html files) on firmware 2.4.x and the last version of the firmware (2.4.x+1) fixed it, though I am not sure I triggered it.
Still, this last version introduced its own bugs, mainly on the games (checks, sudoku, ...) so it seems to me that they release their latest development snapshot as soon as they correct a bug but do not ensure that this snapshot is quite stable and has no regression.

Still, I greatly prefer a team that introduces some regression while trying to please their customers to a team that do not heed them at all. And the side effects will probably decrease as the releases pop up and their software "grows up".
Loceka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #268
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
The arrow button is still broken for me too.
I confirm, and that's quite annoying.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #269
mnjkl
mnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura aboutmnjkl has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo touch
The new line in the text is not translated, so I changed some code to penelope.py.
It has no problem on my dictionary (stardict formated). Will it cause problem on some dictionary?

if type(global_dictionary[k]) is tuple:
# single keyword
definition = global_dictionary[k][4].replace("\n","</p><p>")
f.write("<w><p><a name=\"%s\"/><div><b>%s</b><br/>%s</div></p></w>" % (word, word, definition))
else:
# multiple keyword
for sql_tuple in global_dictionary[k]:
definition = sql_tuple[4].replace("\n","</p><p>")
f.write("<w><p><a name=\"%s\"/><div><b>%s</b><br/>%s</div></p></w>" % (word, word, definition))
mnjkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #270
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Yes, it might, depending on the input material. I think I should not assume that a newline char means "open a new paragraph". Moreover, some dictionaries might come with their own markup (in the definition strings).

The issue was raised some time ago, and I decided to deal with it as follows: Penelope only reads the string corresponding to each key of the index, and (implicitly) assumes that it is "raw text". If this string contains markup (or some other formatting convention, like newlines=new paragraph), it is up to the end user dealing with it, by specifying a custom parser (e.g., by editing the provided default_parser.py and invoking penelope.py with the suitable --parser switch).

Of course, since Penelope is free software, feel free to adapt it to suit your needs.