Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #46
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
What about Stephen Baxter ? I'm reading his Xelee books and I find them very well written and full of interesting hints to contemporary science (strings, supersimmetry, dark matter, etc.)
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #47
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
What "political bearing" was in Ilium and Olympos? I can't remember one.
His whole take on the Palestinian / Israeli situation.
I will not elaborate on this, as it's mainly in the second part of Olympos and would constitute a spoiler.
If you didn't catch these references, maybe that's for the best, because it kinda ruined the end of the second book for me.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #48
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcejedi View Post
Ask him if you want (he is here).
I am?
(whoops)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcejedi View Post
I got the impression the website might not have been supporting itself, so this could be a matter of cutting his losses.
Not exactly.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #49
rhmorrison
Connoisseur
rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3 (WLAN) & hp Jornada 568
Thumbs up My book recommendations are . . .

"Foundation Trilogy"
Anything written by Greg Bear but especially "Moving Mars".
Cities in Flight by James Blish
rhmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I couldn't get through Bova's 'Mars' - I found the Native American aspects too overbearing .
Is it a recurring theme in his books?
No. That was unique to that one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #51
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that question. Hogan wrote good "hard SF" novels; they are not "political" works.
I have read, online, that at least some (not necessarily all) of his works were politically tinged, and I was wondering how, how much, and in what ways, and in which works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What? I find this very strange to be concerned about what politics are expressed in fiction...it's fiction for gawdssake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I think it's a problem when the 'agenda' gets in the way of the story.
That was why I stuggled with 'Mars'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Sometimes the political bearing of the author is quite present and can be disturbing if you don't adhere to it.
I had such problems with Dan Simmons' Ilium and Olympos.
Sparrow and Gaurnim have summed up my concern for Hogan. Does "the 'agenda' [get] in the way of the story"? Is "the political bearing of the author...quite present"? Also, what is (were) his libertarian leanings (social, economic, both, neither)?
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're honestly that bothered, why don't you download one of his books from Baen's free library and see for yourself? When an author has an overt political agenda in his books (as John Ringo does, for example) then personally I find it a real turn-off. Hogan does not do this.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #53
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I am?
(whoops)

Not exactly.

Drive by! Drive by!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #54
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you're honestly that bothered, why don't you download one of his books from Baen's free library and see for yourself? When an author has an overt political agenda in his books (as John Ringo does, for example) then personally I find it a real turn-off. Hogan does not do this.
Sort of my point with my comment. Look at the blurbs, read the sample, start the book, if you don't like it, don't read any more of the authors stuff.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #55
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
His whole take on the Palestinian / Israeli situation.
I will not elaborate on this, as it's mainly in the second part of Olympos and would constitute a spoiler.
If you didn't catch these references, maybe that's for the best, because it kinda ruined the end of the second book for me.
Oh, okay. I remembered as you mentioned it that there was a sub-plot that was based on a short story of his, I had to Google to bring back up details.

And-- the plotline didn't make me think "politics" at all-- it seems to be as valid a projection of the modern world into the future as any. It is all speculation anyway. (My main complaint about the two books is that I just didn't think they were very good.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #56
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Drive by! Drive by!

He seems to be following his own advice:

"The only author who has control of his work is the one who never lets it see the light of day."

(From this thread, after which he has almost entirely stopped posting.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #57
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
When an author has an overt political agenda in his books (as John Ringo does, for example) then personally I find it a real turn-off. Hogan does not do this.
I find Hogan's later books almost unreadable because of his overt 'current day science is hopelessly wrong, but they're all in a conspiracy to wilfully hide the fact' agenda.

I liked some of his earlier stuff though.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #58
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I find Hogan's later books almost unreadable because of his overt 'current day science is hopelessly wrong, but they're all in a conspiracy to wilfully hide the fact' agenda.

He wrote about Global Warming?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #59
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
I suggest Hal Clement's Heavy Planet if you can find anywhere still selling it.
I'm wondering if you mean A Mission of Gravity instead of Heavy Planet? If I remember correctly, AMOG is the actual novel, while HP is a collection of short stories set in the same milieu.

Incidentally, I kind of consider AMOG to be the grandfather of "extreme environment" novels like some of Robert Forward's work etc.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

His books of science essays, then yes, I agree with you. But I honestly can't think of any of his SF novels in which he does that. Were there any that you had in mind as examples?