Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
kobo glo case recommendations?

So I've got my new glo set up, and it sort of fits my previous Kobo case for the touch ... it's about .3 inches shorter, so the elastics on the corners fit, but not snugly.

I'm looking for a replacement case. I like the "book" style cases. I saw the thread about the sleep covers, and they seem to get mixed reviews here -- all except the official cases seem to have people reporting magnets too strong or misplaced.

Ideally, I'd love a non-magnetic case (none to wake/sleep the reader, none on fancy belt-buckle closures). And one that has plastic corners I can snap the glo into, rather than elastics, although elastics would do.

I tend to bend the cover back when I read ... and have seen several people report you can't do that with the sleep covers or they'll turn the reader off.

Has anyone found such a low-tech case, or have any recommendations?
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I really like my lime-green Gecko slimfit case. It does have the sleep magnet, though - which works perfectly, it has never turned it off when folded all the way back, which is how I read all the time. I am sure that Gecko would exchange it if you got a dud case, but I've not heard anyone having trouble with a Gecko name-brand case, mostly with cheap ebay cases. (Other good name brands may be fine, too, I just don't have any experience with them.)

The device fits snugly into a cradle, no elastics involved. And the case is virtually the size of the reader, without overhang. The only thing that might bother some is the small flappy magnetic closure, but I just tuck it between the folded-back case and it doesn't bother me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur
IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Kobo Glo
I'm using this right now and it's slim and awesome http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Magic...527451882.html

The blue thing on the edge is actually a blue sticker you peel off to reveal the metal.

The wake/sleep function works like a charm. I've had no problems so far (6 months+). I can bend it all the way back and the reader doesn't turn off. I really recommend this cover (I've gone through 2 other non-wake/sleep covers and I hated them because of the bulk)!!

You should reconsider these auto-sleep/wake covers!

Last edited by IxiaAurea; 01-18-2014 at 08:54 PM.
IxiaAurea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
You can always turn the sleep function off in the Glo settings, so you can just choose the cover you like best.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
the main reason I don't want the magnets is that I've managed twice in the past to demagnetize credit cards from magnet closures on hangbags. And since my ereader often gets stowed in my handbag or in my laptop case ... there's a good chance magnets will again cause havok.

I really like the gecko cases ... I'd get one, if it weren't that shipping will take 3-4 weeks and the tax and shipping to north america costs half again what the reader does. i guess when i'm back in england this summer, if i still haven't found one, i could try getting one then. but i'd prefer to have one this month.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've just noticed and ordered a couple of genuine leather Kobo Glo covers (so they say).

$6.99 at Amazon.

I have coodio covers that are marketed as "slim fit" and they are fine, and cost me more! So when I saw these, I said, why not? I'll report back when they arrive. But Amazon does not have a lot, so if you are interested, look now.

I got Orange and Pink.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I have this case as well as a black case that IxiaAurea linked above. Yes, they're both sleep cases, which are so convenient once you use them, I doubt you'll go back. The magnet is strong enough in one of mine to shut off the reader when I flip the cover back to read, but just place some aluminum foil folded up as much as you need over the magnet area before you snap in the reader and problem solved. It might still trigger if I'm reading while eating outdoors at places with metal tables though ... but that's rare and since it's laying flat on the table anyway, I can leave the flap open when it happens.

I have several other covers, including a Gecko slimfit, which all work, but this one is my favorite for small size and no flaps to get in the way, the magnet on the cover keeps it closed without having an extra flap to deal with while reading.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-23-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My coodio "slim fit" cases are auto sleep/wake, which I have to have for my Glo (both), but the magnets are so strong, I have to keep my finger between the back and the front cover when folded back. (The foil trick doesn't work, that's how strong they are). I am hoping this coodio "leather" case can be folded back flat w/o putting the devices to sleep, but if they do, that's ok. For 6.99, as long as they fit right and wake/sleep, I'm good.

I clicked on your link for the GMYLE blue, and that must be the one I am using on my black Glo. It is a very good cover. I think it's better quality than my coodio "slim fit." I hope the "leather" ones are sturdier.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-23-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you try even folding up paper towels so there are several thicker layers? I can't remember which older cover I had that needed that space thickened up more, and I used foil and paper towels folded up quite a bit for more thickness. It raised the Glo so there was very little recess felt from the hard shell case that holds it, which I actually liked. If you try that, don't lay it just over the magnet, make it the size of the inside cover so the reader lays flat and not higher just in the lower right corner.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Get this one off of eBay (many vendors have them); I traded my official Kobo Sleepcover for one of these on the Glo, and it makes the whole package much smaller; the on/off cover sleep functioning seems to work just fine:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201010660320?...84.m1439.l2649
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
luvhilndr
Connoisseur
luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Get this one off of eBay (many vendors have them); I traded my official Kobo Sleepcover for one of these on the Glo, and it makes the whole package much smaller; the on/off cover sleep functioning seems to work just fine:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201010660320?...84.m1439.l2649
I managed to find one like this in navy on ebay. Most sellers don't have that color for some reason. It works perfectly and is much more reasonably priced than the official case.
luvhilndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
the main reason I don't want the magnets is that I've managed twice in the past to demagnetize credit cards from magnet closures on hangbags. And since my ereader often gets stowed in my handbag or in my laptop case ... there's a good chance magnets will again cause havok.

I really like the gecko cases ... I'd get one, if it weren't that shipping will take 3-4 weeks and the tax and shipping to north america costs half again what the reader does. i guess when i'm back in england this summer, if i still haven't found one, i could try getting one then. but i'd prefer to have one this month.
I misssed this before for some reason. I'm not sure you're going to have any luck finding a cover without magnets. The Gecko cover also has magnets for the sleep function. That's the same one I have that I don't use, I found that flap always in the way. Reading I'd have to fold it back so it was tucked between the covers and I thought the stress of folding it that far back would eventually wear it out prematurely. And closing the cover I'd always have to be careful or the flap would touch the screen to trigger a few page flips without me realizing it.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

My leather Coodio cover arrived (well one did, anyway). I think it is leather, and it is definitely better than the non-leather one. AND I can fold it back without it putting the reader to sleep! Woo hoo! I got the pink one, which is definitely more pink than I thought it would be, but is fine for my white Glo. Now waiting for the orange one, which hasn't been shipped yet, for my black Glo.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I have had a Gecko Slimfit cover for some time and really liked it. There was a manufacturing problem though with the outer cover starting to peel off at the corners. Gecko replaced the cover with a new one - very good so far.

After a few weeks I noticed the back-light would come on and go off randomly and the button was stuck. I removed the Glo from its case and the problem went away for some time. It seems that the way the cover is fixed can exert stress on the case at the top and this pinches the surround for the light button meaning it is partly depressed and operates as the case flexes slightly.

This was a bit of an annoyance and easily solved by removing the Glo from its case until I powered it down. When I powered up again the light switch was depressed and the Glo went through a "restore" cycle. The downside of this was that the latest firmware was downloaded as part of the setup process and this was incompatible with Calibre 1.48 that I am running on Win XP.

I have had to find and install a copy of V1.28 firmware so I can use Calibre and re-install about 800 books onto the Glo together with their shelving and status. About three days work to get back to where I was.

I never though that a cover could cause all these problems !

Despite all that I do like the Gecko cover, but I now have an image of my Glo's SD card.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Does the Gecko case cover any part of the SD card slot?

That is the problem with the slim fit covers I have, including the coodio brands. They cover half of the SD card slot. Since the SD card sticks out, this IS a problem. But since I no longer use SD cards in the slot, not a problem for me. Definitely a concern for people who do use the SD card slot, however.