Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
How well does Google Reader work on the Kindle?

I was just wondering whether it would be better to use Google Reader or Kindlefeeder to read my RSS feeds. Let me know if you have any experience with this.

Thanks in advance,
ChaseKR
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
I was just wondering whether it would be better to use Google Reader or Kindlefeeder to read my RSS feeds. Let me know if you have any experience with this.

Thanks in advance,
ChaseKR
You can use Calibre to turn those feeds in the Kindle Books and now you can Whispernet them to your Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You can use Calibre to turn those feeds in the Kindle Books and now you can Whispernet them to your Kindle.
Great tip! I didn't know that, I'll play with it now.
My main problem with Google reader is the crazy amount of feeds I have in there now... Need to clean house.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I have turned to whispernet myself.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Whoa - Daffy. Are you saying that Calibre can now download subscriptions and email them automagically? 100% without human interaction? That's pretty cool if that's the case. And it might change the way I deal with some of my content. I'll have to try that when I get home.

Amazon still hasn't begun charging for the email-to-whispernet option yet, right? When they do I suppose that will mean that setting up an RSS feed or other daily subscription will end up costing $3/mo. anyway, but at least it will offer more flexibility. And for stuff that you don't download daily it'll be cheaper.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Whoa - Daffy. Are you saying that Calibre can now download subscriptions and email them automagically? 100% without human interaction? That's pretty cool if that's the case. And it might change the way I deal with some of my content. I'll have to try that when I get home.

Amazon still hasn't begun charging for the email-to-whispernet option yet, right? When they do I suppose that will mean that setting up an RSS feed or other daily subscription will end up costing $3/mo. anyway, but at least it will offer more flexibility. And for stuff that you don't download daily it'll be cheaper.
It looks like it. I created a "newspsper" from a blog rss feed usng Calibre and from within Calibre, I sent it via Whispernet to my Kindle (this was Sunday). I just opened the blog and clicked the feed title link on the font page and Monday's issue downloaded to my Kindle. I have to check, I think Tuesday will show up later in the day (if I do the clicky thing). Calibre is not open now so it hasn't updated the feed. Maybe if I leave my desktop computer on with Calibre open it will update the feed everyday and send it to me... I'll have to experiment.

You can do your own experimenting by reading this thread: calibre 0.5.3 supports emailing books to the Kindle

Edit: I just started to read through the blog and it's the same as Sunday with a new date on it. I'll have to play with my feed settings to see what the problem is.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-31-2009 at 03:18 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
First, set up your email address and make sure that Auto-Send is checked (send via gmail to make it all a bit easier, some ISP's block the type of email calibre sends, but gmail does not).

Then, set up to automatically download the blog entries at a specific time of day (if a site doesn't update until later in the morning, make sure you take that into account). You can also specify only a certain day of the week or every XX days. When you "close" calibre, it keeps running (it is a tiny icon on your system tray on the lower right of your desktop). It will wake itself up, download the entries and email them, all without any intervention. I've been trying it with a couple of entries and it seems to work. The New York Times recipe has disappeared from my system though (and a stuck job for it keeps showing errors, but hey, it's free!). USA Today and the Washington Post seem to come thru fine, as did Soldier's Magazine (a monthly).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Hey guys. I know this post is old, but I was told it came up a lot for people looking for info on using Google Reader with the Kindle. I've actually created a Kindle friendly Google Reader that uses the Keyboard for shortcuts just like the desktop version, and formats all the entries for the Kindle's screen.

You can see it in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1138934

... or find the link/info/screenshots here: http://nowsci.com/grss-web
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Nicolas_R
Nicolas_R began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm developing a small Windows application that connects to your Google Reader account, retrieves the most recent/unread entries, formats then as an ebook (mobipocket file) and send them to your kindle so that you can read them while being offline. (I'm using it mainly in the subway).

It's free and available at sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/greader2kindle/

The application is still in its early stage, so I'll greatly appreciate all feedback about bugs or improvements suggestions.
Nicolas_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #10
tanzle
tanzle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
To Nicholas R

Very excited about your software, Nicholas - except it doesn't work.

Here is the error message:

Documents\Greader2kindle\Google Reader feed on 7/07/2011 19h24.mobi"...
19:25:35 Error :Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Deborah\My Documents\Greader2kindle\Google Reader feed on 7\07\2011 19h24.mobi'.
tanzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas_R View Post
I'm developing a small Windows application that connects to your Google Reader account, retrieves the most recent/unread entries, formats then as an ebook (mobipocket file) and send them to your kindle so that you can read them while being offline. (I'm using it mainly in the subway).

It's free and available at sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/greader2kindle/

The application is still in its early stage, so I'll greatly appreciate all feedback about bugs or improvements suggestions.
Hi Nicolas,

What a wonderful idea! Do you have any desire to do a G:RSS-Web / greader2kindle web integration? Since I already have OAUTH set up allowing access to the feeds, it seems like it would be a pretty easy integration to have G:RSS-Web serve up a mobi file directly to the Kindle via the web site, eliminating the need for users to run the application on their home machine and allowing 3G users to refresh remotely.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
B.
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wait is this free or does it cost money?

Noticed this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375890

Kindle (U.S. Wireless) users: We'll send personal documents to your Kindle via Whispernet while inside the U.S. wireless coverage area for a fee of $.15 per megabyte.

Kindle (Free 3G) user living in the United States: If you transfer personal documents to your Kindle via Whispernet while inside the U.S., the fee is $ .15 per megabyte. When traveling outside the United States, a fee of $.99 per megabyte will apply.
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The charge is if the document is delivered via 3G. If you use your free.kindle.com email, it can go via wi-fi, and is free.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The charge is if the document is delivered via 3G. If you use your free.kindle.com email, it can go via wi-fi, and is free.
Acually, if you only have a wifi Kindle, you can use either email address (@free.kindle.com or @kindle.com), and not be charged.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Emailing unread Google Reader feeds to the Kindle would be a great feature; and a feature which actually would circumvent the Amazon service that can do the same thing, for a charge.

Right now, I only read my Google Reader when I have internet access, via the browser.

All of the solutions so far, and mentioned above, would require me, at one time or another, to do something from my desktop/laptop (run a program).....none of the solutions so far are fully automatic, that I know of.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote