Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #1561
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, it is.
'Reset' and 'Restart' are adjacent menu choices on the setting dropdown menu.

A little bit of finger shake, a slightly too sensitive touch screen and approaching 'Restart' from the 'Reset' side of the menu ...

Yup - all to easy - people should stick with holding the power button pressed and picking 'Restart' from that pop-up panel.
But the IG (instant gratification) generation has trouble "wasting" the 7 seconds it takes for the pop-up panel to appear.
And to make folks even more confused, the little button in the "paperclip port" on my K1, which "restarts" the device, is clearly labelled RESET (as are the missing switch contacts inside the paperwhite models). In fact, the button that restarts most devices is labelled "RESET". And the word "restart" has an alternate meaning in many environments; restarting a project means you scrap everything and begin anew, just like a "factory reset".

Restart/reset, interchangeable meanings depending on context. They should be in completely different menus, not adjacent where they can be "fat-fingered", and with plenty of sufficient warning before destroying user settings.

The current placement and wording was clearly not thought out as well as it could be -- perhaps they can make it safer is a future firmware update? For me, "factory erase" seems better than "factory reset". Or for modern computer-literate folks, perhaps "format device"? But perhaps "format" might confuse publishing folks? Yeah, "erase" is safer...

English has confusing syntax and grammar -- just consider "inflammable" and "invaluable" (synonyms of "valuable" and "flammable") compared to "insane" and "incompetent" (antonyms of "sane" and "competent"). And with English become a world-wide common language, who know what such confusion may cause in the future.

EDIT: Not just dissimilar meanings of similar words, but similar spellings of dissimilar words as well. Of course, American English has simplified many of these words, but Ye Olde English spellings are still used from time to time as well: "A rough, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman emerged from a slough to walk through the streets of Scarborough, coughing and hiccoughing." ESL catatasrophe in the making?

@knc1

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2016 at 12:32 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #1562
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
And to make folks even more confused, the little button in the "paperclip port" on my K1, which "restarts" the device, is clearly labelled RESET (as are the missing switch contacts inside the paperwhite models). In fact, the button that restarts most devices is labelled "RESET". And the word "restart" has an alternate meaning in many environments; restarting a project means you scrap everything and begin anew, just like a "factory reset".

Restart/reset, interchangeable meanings depending on context. They should be in completely different menus, not adjacent where they can be "fat-fingered", and with plenty of sufficient warning before destroying user settings.
Totally agreeing with you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2016, 02:47 AM   #1563
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Hmmm... I don't. Or better: I agree that the menu is poorly thought, I agree that the word "reset" on the paperclip port is wrong.

But I don't think it makes a point the fact that restart/reset have interchangeable meaning depending on the context. It doesn't matter that restarting a project in sw development means resetting everything that had been done so far: what only means is the context you are using it at that time, and the kindle menu is NOT a development project.
So they are fully entitled to use the term "reset" on that menu item, expecially because the "restart" item nearby should make you aware what meaning the term "reset" has there. We cannot blame amazon or lab121 for that term.

But yes, of course, as I already said in the first time, I cannot believe there isn't a confirmation popup, something like "Are you sure you want to restore the factory settings of your kindle", and it starts right away. And of course it should be far away from the restart button.

Btw, regarding english language.. it's not english. Also latin languages have that, I think all ancient-greek and ancient-latin derivated languages have it (can't say for others).
Actually the in- prefix comes from latin, while the a- prefix from greek. So you may say that english just copied from south european languages.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #1564
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Next someone will try to make something (personal) out of:
Sin Is A Joy
Which would be very O.T. here.

Note:
There is only one 'S' in catastrophe.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #1565
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
I usually restart by launching a "reboot" in the ssh wifi console

(With apologies to NiLuJe,) great minds think alike.

Aeris' KindleMenu with kterm entry is pretty fast too. And accessible from anywhere, even if I did something stupid and basically crashed the UI to the point where everything Amazon wrote takes several minutes to accomplish.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #1566
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Released v2.7, the big news being Oasis & Basic 2 support .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #1567
beic
beic began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3G
Quote:
Once that's done, put the Update_KUALBooklet_v*_install.bin file (found in the same archive as mentioned earlier) in the mrpackages folder, which you'll find at the root of your Kindle over USB, then eject & unplug you Kindle.

Finally, enter ;log mrpi in the Homescreen's searchbar (in a similar fashion as what you had to do during the Jailbreak), and wait for MRPI to do its thing.
When the UI finishes restarting, you should end up with a KUAL entry in your Library (showing as a personal document).
KOA user here. I've followed these instructions but it doesn't add a KUAL entry to my library.

After entering ;log mrpi, I can't exactly remember all the message, but it was something like "Hush little baby, installing, Destroying Package, Restarting UI" and then the Kindle reboots with the picture of a tree.

Any ideas?
beic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #1568
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Check the MrPI logs in [userstore]/extensions/MRInstaller/log/mrinstaller.log to see what happened.

You may need to use the latest snapshots of MrPI to make sure your device is supported (your profile says you have an Oasis).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #1569
beic
beic began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Check the MrPI logs in [userstore]/extensions/MRInstaller/log/mrinstaller.log to see what happened.

You may need to use the latest snapshots of MrPI to make sure your device is supported (your profile says you have an Oasis).
You are correct! I updated to the latest snapshot and it's now working. Thanks.
beic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:18 AM   #1570
samhfoley
Enthusiast
samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle voyage and paperwhite 2
downgraded my dad's kindle to 5.4.5 and rejailbroke it. Installed KUAL, Python, screenssavers hack. Can I go back up to firmware 5.8.1 and still be jailbroken? Do I need a hotfix before doing so? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
samhfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #1571
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhfoley View Post
downgraded my dad's kindle to 5.4.5 and rejailbroke it. Installed KUAL, Python, screenssavers hack. Can I go back up to firmware 5.8.1 and still be jailbroken? Do I need a hotfix before doing so? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Please give us the link to the directions you where following.

All of your questions are answered at this link:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
Old 08-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #1572
samhfoley
Enthusiast
samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Please give us the link to the directions you where following.

All of your questions are answered at this link:
Thanks. At what point after resetting my device do I reenter my Amazon credentials into the device?

I copied everything from documents, found device nickname PW2, reset device, downloaded update_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial.bin

I see a menu of language choice, when I choose English, I saw the root on my kindle and moved the .bin file there.

downgraded FW to 5.4.3.2, unRAR the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip into kindle root and run. See **** JAILBREAK **** at bottom of screen.

Now I can upgrade back to 5.8.1 and reinstall KUAL, KUAL PLUS, and Screensaver Hack??
Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #1573
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhfoley View Post
Thanks. At what point after resetting my device do I reenter my Amazon credentials into the device?

I copied everything from documents, found device nickname PW2, reset device, downloaded update_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial.bin

I see a menu of language choice, when I choose English, I saw the root on my kindle and moved the .bin file there.

downgraded FW to 5.4.3.2, unRAR the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip into kindle root and run. See **** JAILBREAK **** at bottom of screen.

Now I can upgrade back to 5.8.1 and reinstall KUAL, KUAL PLUS, and Screensaver Hack??
Please read the directions:
All your questions are answer there.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #1574
samhfoley
Enthusiast

Quote:
Please read the directions:
All your questions are answer there.
I know, all of the answers are there, but do I install any of the other hacks before running the update back to 5.8.1, or is afterwards OK
Old 08-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #1575
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@samhfoley: Official updates wipe hacks. That should answer your question .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified