Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Happy Birthday WWW

Happy Birthday World Wide Web

Quote:
A team at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (Cern) has launched a project to re-create the first web page.

The aim is to preserve the original hardware and software associated with the birth of the web.

The world wide web was developed by Prof Sir Tim Berners-Lee while working at Cern.

The initiative coincides with the 20th anniversary of the research centre giving the web to the world.

According to Dan Noyes, the web manager for Cern's communication group, re-creation of the world's first website will enable future generations to explore, examine and think about how the web is changing modern life.
Quote:
You and I can access billions of Web pages, post blogs, write code for our own killer apps—in short, do anything we want on the Web—all for free! And we’ve enjoyed free reign because 20 years ago, today, Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee and his employer, the CERN physics lab in Geneva, published a statement that made the nascent “World Wide Web” technology available to every person, company and institution with no royalty or restriction.
Link to first website:

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-30-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added link to first website
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oh no, bad background music, tiled wallpaper and poetry about cats.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I was more surprised that the first website was hosted on a NeXT computer than anything else. I'd figured it would've been some kind of UNIX server or maybe a crusty old "compact" Mac.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
And a hip hip hoorah to WWW!!!

And a special thank you to Tim Berners Lee and team at Cern .... who freely gave the fruits of their labour to the world.

(As an aside - I'd hate to think how the web would've developed had it been in the hands of Jobs or Gates)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

And a special thank you to Tim Berners Lee and team at Cern .... who freely gave the fruits of their labour to the world.

(As an aside - I'd hate to think how the web would've developed had it been in the hands of Jobs or Gates)
Don't you mean Al Gore?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Don't you mean Al Gore?
Besides the internet, he also invented ManBearPig
Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Don't you mean Al Gore?
Nope - I mean Gates and Jobs.

You'll need to enlighten me as to the Gore reference ....

---------------------

Edit - I've just seen Tubemonkey's references.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Nope - I mean Gates and Jobs.

You'll need to enlighten me as to the Gore reference ....

---------------------

Edit - I've just seen Tubemonkey's references.
He is referring to this:

Quote:
As Vice President, Gore promoted the development of what he referred to as the Information Superhighway. This was discussed in detail a few days after winning the election in November 1992 in The New York Times article "Clinton to Promote High Technology, With Gore in Charge."[16] They planned to finance research "that will flood the economy with innovative goods and services, lifting the general level of prosperity and strengthening American industry."[16] Specifically, they were aiming to fund the development of "robotics, smart roads, biotechnology, machine tools, magnetic-levitation trains, fiber-optic communications, and national computer networks. Also earmarked are a raft of basic technologies like digital imaging and data storage."[16] These initiatives were met with some skepticism from critics who claimed that "the initiative is likely to backfire, bloating Congressional pork, and creating whole new categories of Federal waste."[16] These initiatives were outlined in the report Technology for America's Economic Growth.[17] In September 1993, they released a report calling for the creation of a "nationwide information superhighway," which would primarily be built by private industry.[18] Gary Stix commented on these initiatives a few months prior in his May 1993 article for Scientific American, "Gigabit Gestalt: Clinton and Gore embrace an activist technology policy." Stix described them as a "distinct statement about where the new administration stands on the matter of technology [...] Gone is the ambivalence or outright hostility toward government involvement in little beyond basic science. Although Gore is most famous for his political career and environmental work, he is also noted for his creation of the internet."
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:

Just to be clear I might point out what I mean - that the invention and early development of the web was not in the hands of 'for profit first' types of people.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Just to be clear I might point out what I mean - that the invention and early development of the web was not in the hands of 'for profit first' types of people.
That is a good point. I'm sure things would be very different had it been developed by companies for profit.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
That would've been a disaster.

On a related point, I don't mind private enterprise providing net access or content; but I very much object to them providing both. It's a definite conflict of interest and very anti-consumer. It's time to bust 'em up.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
We know what they would have developed since both companies built their own online services.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
We know what they would have developed since both companies built their own online services.
Nah, what they did built on the creative output of Berners Lee et al. They didn't invent the web.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Nah, what they did built on the creative output of Berners Lee et al. They didn't invent the web.
It's more likely that they were inspired by earlier online service providers, like Compuserve and AOL, which were far more dominant in the early to mid-1990s. Keep in mind: even though the Internet has been banging around for a very long time, the web had only been around for a year or two by the time eWorld and MSN went online. That isn't much time for the web to develop, businesses to see it as important, to develop business plans, implement software, and put contracts with third party content providers in place.

(In case you're wondering why I'm placing so much emphasis on the web, noone really knew what would come of the Internet before that. After all, it was predominantly a soup of protocols that had clunky clients which were oriented towards information retrieval, correspondence, and file transfers. Even early versions of the web didn't go far enough beyond that for its future to be certain. But, apparently, it went far enough.)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I was more surprised that the first website was hosted on a NeXT computer than anything else. I'd figured it would've been some kind of UNIX server or maybe a crusty old "compact" Mac.
NeXT computers are "some kind of UNIX server".
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote