Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
K3 with broken display to give away

THIS TOPIC IS CLOSED. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

I have a Kindle 3 (Wifi+3G) with a broken display here. Managed to step on it (don't ask...).

As far as I can tell, the device is (internally) still working, though it obviously can't be used for reading anymore. The device has jailbreak etc. installed.

If anybody is interested in the device, I'm ok with giving it away (at my sole discretion). If you want it, here are the rules:
  • EU or CH only. Anything else would just be too expensive for shipping.
  • Let me know why you think I should give it to you (i.e., what do you intend to do with it?). The more interesting or convincing, the better...
  • Help me with de-registering the device from Amazon and removing all personal information from it. (I have already de-registered the device at the Amazon website, but I don't know if there is anything else to be done on the device itself). Bonus points for telling me how I can get usbnetwork working on it, without actually being able to see what I'm doing (update: this one is solved).
  • First come, first serve, or so. I have exactly one device, and it is up to me to decide who gets it. Being quick helps, but being convincing and helpful is equally important (see above). Folks who have provided useful input here in the forums (think "Karma") would get extra consideration. I'm not just gonna send it to the first person who shouts "I want it". Shipping will cost me real money, so I want to be sure it's worth it.
  • Promise not to complain if you don't get it.

UPDATE: Please post only in this thread. No PMs on that topic.
UPDATE2: Before this gets out of hand, I slightly changed the rules. Everything posted here until Friday, Jan 13 will be considered. I'll make the final decision on Saturday, Jan 14.

THIS TOPIC IS CLOSED. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

Last edited by ixtab; 01-14-2012 at 01:11 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Hi there,
I have a laptop and read a lot of papers and because of that my eyes are being affected. Last semester I decided to buy a kindle. So I tried to save money this semester to buy a Kindle, and honestly I did and am able to buy one now. (edit: I finally ordered a KT yaaay!)

Reasons: 1. A newcomer to MR. 2. play and develop apps for Kindle and my biggest problem "Android for Kindle"... 3. first reply

I hope whoever gets this, helps giving back to community in improving reading experience.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-16-2012 at 09:54 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Be advised that it is still useful as a standalone device if you can activate Voice Guide mode.

You can add usb networking by copying a pre-installed usbnet folder to your kindle USB Drive. You can enable USB networking by adding the "auto" file as described in the documentation.

P.S. My karma is only half a million more than cscat's (give or take) but I am not in a qualifying country. Then of course, I already have three kindle 3's (one with damaged eInk cable, using Voice Guide mode), and a DX, and a DXG, and a K4NT, and a Touch. No need to get greedy here...

If cscat wants to develop with it, let him have it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-08-2012 at 03:59 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If you really want to give it away, I will take it. Be advised that it is still useful as a standalone device if you can activate Voice Guide mode.
@geekmaster: YES I was aware

Ok these can be good projects too:
- Send to Kindle for Mendeley and Colwiz (if you don't know what they are, check them out but briefly they are citation management [exp. useful for researchers/students who read a lot of papers]) I love Colwiz.
- folder structure: it's cumbersome managing documents without folders (I know there is a workaround with tags)

Last edited by thatworkshop; 01-13-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@cscat: Sorry, but as the title says, the device is not usable for reading. The display is broken.

@geekmaster: If only you were living in Europe... ;-)
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@cscat: Sorry, but as the title says, the device is not usable for reading. The display is broken.

@geekmaster: If only you were living in Europe... ;-)
@ixtab: But it is still good enough to play and test the mods... I want to test mods that people like yifanlu, you and geekmaster proposed... I became a fan of MR and am interested to play with it and see if we can compile Android OS (See my 1st post please) on a Kindle... So even if it's not good for reading (for which I'll buy one), I can use it for testing in case something goes wrong (explosion etc. )
Old 01-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)

@geekmaster: I AM ixtab
(update: the above statement only makes sense when knowing that the original reply by geekmaster, before editing, referred to "ixtab's exploit")

Does that exploit also work on the Kindle 3?

Last edited by ixtab; 01-08-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Be advised that it is still useful as a standalone device if you can activate Voice Guide mode.

You can add usb networking by copying a pre-installed usbnet folder to your kindle USB Drive. You can enable USB networking by adding the "auto" file as described in the documentation.

Or, if you are feeling frisky, you can use YOUR tar root path exploit (unmodified data.tar.gz and a custom RUNME.sh script) to install USB SSH networking.

P.S. My karma is only half a million more than cscat's (give or take) but I am not in a qualifying country. Then of course, I already have three kindle 3's (one with damaged eInk cable, using Voice Guide mode), and a DX, and a DXG, and a K4NT, and a Touch. No need to get greedy here...

If cscat wants to develop with it, let him have it.
yes I want to develop apps with it... well I'm a noob and better to say I want to start to learn to develop apps, because I know very little about it and am excited to have one (either this or the one I'll buy anyways).

Last edited by thatworkshop; 01-08-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #9
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@geekmaster: I AM ixtab

Does that exploit also work on the Kindle 3?
I was in a hurry because free stuff does not last long. Oops. The tar bug is fixed in the K3. I noticed after I saved the post that you ARE ixtab.

Read my updated post above.

I need to think about how to do the ssh thing. I have some k3s, so I could get you a sploit to add ssh after I study it a little. It would simplify cscat's life considerably, him being an admitted noob and all...

So, hold off shipping it for a bit until we get SSH on this thing. I need to experiment with mine for a bit.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-08-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #10
geekmaster

I just bumped cscat's karma from 10 (noob) to the name of a famous hacker magazine:
http://www.2600.com/

I hope he earns it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-08-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
ixtab
(offline)

To clarify: jailbreak and usbnetwork are already installed. I merely need to know the sequence of "commands" required to activate it. Since I can't see the output on the device, I can't verify if I'm typing the right things. IIRC, the sequence was something along the lines of "~debugOn","~usbNetwork" or so on that device. Basically, just a "keypress-by-keypress" ("Press sym", press whatever-key-is-mapped-to-~ etc.) instruction to activate networking...
Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
I just bumped cscat's karma to the name of a famous hacker magazine:
http://www.2600.com/
Thanks geekmaster! I look up to you as a hack master in future for my development tips and ...! and thanks for karma! (I can't even imagine having as much karma as you have is possible!) Also, nice to know that we've been friends on MR before this!

I hope (= will) give something back to this awesome forum which seems to have good etiquette and great moderators. What a resourceful magazine by the way!!! wow... I have some material to read for week!!!

Also, let me know what you think about my 1st post ( not in this thread obviously ) too and it's possibility!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 01-08-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
To clarify: jailbreak and usbnetwork are already installed. I merely need to know the sequence of "commands" required to activate it. Since I can't see the output on the device, I can't verify if I'm typing the right things. IIRC, the sequence was something along the lines of "~debugOn","~usbNetwork" or so on that device. Basically, just a "keypress-by-keypress" ("Press sym", press whatever-key-is-mapped-to-~ etc.) instruction to activate networking...
Dude! The usbnet README says if it has a file named "auto" in the usbnet folder, it will autostart usbnet ssh on bootup.

EDIT: If you cannot access the USB Drive, I will provide you a step-by-step keypress sequence. I leave mine ALWAYS in usbnet mode, and I use scp or WinSCP to transfer files and folders. No need for USB drive mode at all. And with the auto trigger file, you can activate usbnet from the USB Drive.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-09-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
Thanks geekmaster! I look up to you as a hack master in future for my development tips and ...! and thanks for karma!
Thanks! I will try to live up to your expectations...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #15
geekmaster

ixtab: you can take screenshots that get saved on the USB Drive with Alt-G, then view them on the USB Drive from a host PC to see what is on the kindle display. Although slow, it is possible to use this as a remote display replacement, especially with a host PC script that detects new screenshot files on the kindle USB Drive and displays them on the host PC.

Alternatively when you have ssh, you can just do "cat /dev/fb0 > /mnt/us/fb0.raw" to take a raw screen snapshot. You can view the raw images in IrfanView (or other program) by telling it that the raw image is 608 wide by 800 tall by 8 bits per pixel [for the Touch. On a K3, it would be 300 wide by 800 tall, and pairs of 4-bit pixels would get combined into one 8-bit pixel. Search the threads if you want to download dpavlin's conversion programs for this raw format.]

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-08-2012 at 06:25 AM.