Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
nessin
nessin began at the beginning.

Device: None
Worth it to go from Kindle 3 to current gen e-reader?

Anyone switch from a Kindle 3 to the Nook Touch (or any of the smaller/lighter latest generation ereaders)? My Kindle still works fine but everyday I get closer and closer to buying a new one because they're a little bit smaller and lighter, and I'm hoping someone can either verify that they are more comfortable or didn't make a noticable difference when reading for a few hours?

Probably sounds stupid, but I often read for at least an hour at night (normally more), and I'm usually on a plane at least once a month for several hours which I usually spend the entire time reading. While the Kindle 3 isn't uncomfortable, I can definitely see something lighter (even those few grams) and without the extra length from the keyboard making a difference over the course of hours of reading. Given how much I read it'd be worth the price as well, just really don't want to go through all the trouble of migrating to a new device just to wipe and return it a few days later if I don't like it.
nessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
since you already have a kindle why would you switch to a Nook touch instead of Kindle Touch?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
It's not a significant enough difference, IMO. It's just a few grams difference.

Bear in mind the ergonomics. Supposing you're talking about the Kindle touch, despite it being lighter, your wrist will be stiffer holding it because you'll need to move your thumb to tap/swipe to change page, as opposed to just keeping your thumb stationary on the page turn button the K3 and just applying little pressure intermittently.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
nessin
nessin began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
since you already have a kindle why would you switch to a Nook touch instead of Kindle Touch?
Because I would never buy a product without page turning buttons unless there was no other option and I'm not mated to the Amazon store.
nessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
then i suggest if you can wait to hear a review, consider the Cybook Odyssey

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152642
http://bookeen.com/blog/cybook-odyssey-hsis/

or if you can wait even a bit more Onyx will have a new 6 inch Boox device with IR touch(w pinch to zoom) and page turners

We don't carry Cybook but we do carry the Boox line
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
The nook is only about an ounce lighter than the kindle, and it is about 1 inch shorter and maybe a centimeter or two wider. However, to me because of the kindles longer length and flatter shape, it feels more than one ounce heavier.

I also think the nook touch has a nicer feel. It has a concave back which makes it easier to hold, and the sides have more of a softer, rubbier feel to them, whereas the kindle is hard plastic. It is thicker than the kindle, which I think is an advantage, albeit one that disappears if you use a cover on your reading device. It also feels a little more balanced, probably because of its square shape.

Overall, the experience of using a nook touch is not significantly superior to that of a k3. Also consider that you will not be able to read your kindle books on the nook touch unless you strip them of their drm (which isn't hard to do) or root the nook and install a kindle app (which also isn't hard to do).

I believe Barnes and Noble has a fourteen day return policy. If you are really interested in getting a Nook Touch, I would suggest getting one and trying it out for a week or so.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why not the Kindle 4 (the new one without a keyboard, that uses the 5-way controller)? It is very light, has page turn buttons, and will support your existing Kindle library.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Yep, the Kindle Touch is out because of the lack of buttons (Doh Amazon!).

The no-touch no-keyboard model is okay to read just fiction on. And it has buttons!

The Nook looks okay. It's an Android. Have to say I don't like the square shape.

Personally, I'd suggest the Sony T1. It's the lightest e-reader, has touch, buttons and an Android O/S. I think it has an mp3 player too. The only down-side is that some people are reporting it is unstable. If you're not in a hurry, maybe wait to see if Sony irons out any problems that really exist.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm going from a K3 to a KT, but only because I need a second ereader. The Touch will become my primary reader because I don't like the keyboard.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Yep, the Kindle Touch is out because of the lack of buttons (Doh Amazon!).

The no-touch no-keyboard model is okay to read just fiction on. And it has buttons!
The Touch is in because the keyboard is missing.

The no-touch no-keyboard is out because it doesn't have an MP3 player (audiobooks).
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
I don't think it's worth upgrading. Personally, I'll hang on to my K3 until the next generation of eInk comes out. Particularly if you start looking at more pricey options like the Odyssey.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
Fransel
Fransel began at the beginning.

Device: PalmTX
Intro & question

Hello everyone,
I just found this forum and hope to learn and share. From reading the posts, I can see I've found a knowledgable source.
I own an LG Cosmos phone, and a beloved PalmTX. My search to find out if I can download the Overdrive software to my Palm has led me here.
I'm not yet ready to give up the Palm as I can read eBooks, listen to audio, keep my calendar, photos etc.It even has WiFi and Bluetooh. With the addition of the phone I can take pics and video and....even make phone calls.
So if I can use the Palm to download books from the library I will be a happy camper.
I'm hoping someone here can help.
If not, then an eReader will be in my future. I don't want the bulk of a large screen so the Kindle and Nook are both too bulky as I'm used to reading small. It must fit in my pocket/purse.
In my view the problem with eReaders is that they are one deminsional. Why can't they do everthing like the old reliable PalmTX?
Fransel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransel View Post
So if I can use the Palm to download books from the library I will be a happy camper.
I'm hoping someone here can help.
If not, then an eReader will be in my future. I don't want the bulk of a large screen so the Kindle and Nook are both too bulky as I'm used to reading small. It must fit in my pocket/purse.
In my view the problem with eReaders is that they are one deminsional. Why can't they do everthing like the old reliable PalmTX?
Hi, and welcome to board. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Now for the the not so happy news. Palm is pretty much dead and it's not one of the operating systems supported by OverDrive. Currently, OverDrive supports Android, BlackBerry, Apple iOS, and Windows Phone.

Time is slowly leaving your trusty Palm TX by the wayside and soon, you'll need to consider a new device with an alternative operating system. Personally, I'd go with either Android or Apple iOS. BlackBerry is about to do a Palm in my opinion. It'll be sold, stripped of useful features, and then shelved. Microsoft did everything in their power to make Windows mobile irrelevant; and now that they've achieved that goal, it'll remain so.

It appears you wish to avoid smartphones. I stay away from them myself. I don't like the idea of either paying an outrageous price for an unlocked device or a forced monthly fee for a data plan.

The modern version of a PDA would be personal media players like the Apple iPod touch or the Samsung Galaxy Player. With either device, you have full access to the internet via wifi; and very large and active app stores.

Both players will give you easy access to all of the major ebook platforms and sellers: Kindle, Nook, Sony, Kobo, OverDrive, etc. Library books are easy with both the Kindle and OverDrive apps.

I have an iPod touch 4, but I'm seriously considering getting rid of it in favor of the Galaxy Player; only because the Galaxy has GPS, compass, and a mSD card slot. Personally, I don't like reading on such small displays; but many people do. The 3.5" display of the iPod touch is fantastic because of its high resolution (960 x 640) and makes reading excellent. The Galaxy Player has a lower res (800 x 480) display and comes in two sizes: 4.0" and 5.0". By contrast, the Palm TX has a 3.9" display at 480 x 320. The 8GB iPod touch sells for $199 and the 8GB Galaxy Players for $229 (4") and $269 (5").

Anyway, something to consider. Again, welcome aboard.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
Fransel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hi, and welcome to board. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Now for the the not so happy news. Palm is pretty much dead and it's not one of the operating systems supported by OverDrive. Currently, OverDrive supports Android, BlackBerry, Apple iOS, and Windows Phone.

Time is slowly leaving your trusty Palm TX by the wayside and soon, you'll need to consider a new device with an alternative operating system. Personally, I'd go with either Android or Apple iOS. BlackBerry is about to do a Palm in my opinion. It'll be sold, stripped of useful features, and then shelved. Microsoft did everything in their power to make Windows mobile irrelevant; and now that they've achieved that goal, it'll remain so.

It appears you wish to avoid smartphones. I stay away from them myself. I don't like the idea of either paying an outrageous price for an unlocked device or a forced monthly fee for a data plan.

The modern version of a PDA would be personal media players like the Apple iPod touch or the Samsung Galaxy Player. With either device, you have full access to the internet via wifi; and very large and active app stores.

Both players will give you easy access to all of the major ebook platforms and sellers: Kindle, Nook, Sony, Kobo, OverDrive, etc. Library books are easy with both the Kindle and OverDrive apps.

I have an iPod touch 4, but I'm seriously considering getting rid of it in favor of the Galaxy Player; only because the Galaxy has GPS, compass, and a mSD card slot. Personally, I don't like reading on such small displays; but many people do. The 3.5" display of the iPod touch is fantastic because of its high resolution (960 x 640) and makes reading excellent. The Galaxy Player has a lower res (800 x 480) display and comes in two sizes: 4.0" and 5.0". By contrast, the Palm TX has a 3.9" display at 480 x 320. The 8GB iPod touch sells for $199 and the 8GB Galaxy Players for $229 (4") and $269 (5").

Anyway, something to consider. Again, welcome aboard.
Thanks for the great info. I know my dear Palm is on it's way out and I will grieve, pick myself up and find a new love. I'm going to check out the ones you mentioned. Again, many thanks.
Fransel
Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
Fransel

Has anyone tried out the Ematic Twig? A small tablet running adnroid with lots of features. Sells for $79-89. I saw it on the Wal-mart site.