Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Kindle Fire in Oxygen-rich environment?

Technical issue. A somewhat goofy request for information.

I will have to be in an oxygen-rich atmosphere for treatment of a problem. It will be many two-hour sessions. When I talked to the nurse about this, she said no electronic devices are permitted. This of course is a precaution as any electrical spark could cause a fire or explosion.

I am supposing that my Fire, 1st generation, would not have anything going on that would be dangerous, but unless I can find some substantial proof, I am going to have to endure this without being able to use it to read. I would not have wi-fi turned on, if that makes any difference.

Does anybody know for sure whether it would be safe? If so, how can I prove it to the hospital staff?

Last edited by KlondikeGeoff; 03-27-2014 at 01:06 PM.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
If so, how can I prove it to the hospital staff?
Whether you can prove it is irrelevant. You can't override hospital policy. They will enforce it.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Take a paper book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Take a paper book.
The reason I have used Kindles ever since they came out is that i have a vision problem, so cannot read books any more, even Large Print ones.

The Kindle's ability to use a very large font makes it the only thing I can read any more.

Otherwise, obviously I would have thought to read a paper book.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like you're out of luck then. "No electronic devices" means that.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

You might not be old enough to remember the Apollo One accident. But I'm sure the hospital doesn't want to have you wind up a crispy critter like those three astronauts did. They were in a pure oxygen environment and I doubt you will be in that much concentration of oxygen, but still it is not worth the chance. I'm sure the hospitals insurance will not allow them to override their no electronic device rule no matter what evidence you present to them. Perhaps you can print out some material to read in an extra big font size. Not as good as a Kindle but you don't have many options under the circumstances.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
An educated guess after reading some PDFs.

The battery and how it goes from it, to your device, is the issue. The current changes depending on what you're doing, what services are running in the background, etc.

If it gets hot, which is easily possible with a big book with lots of images and the like, it will blow up/leak with the pressure coming from the excess oxygen. It's like exposing a boiler with already extremely hot water, to 130 F of sun and heat.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Take a nap!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
An educated guess after reading some PDFs.

The battery and how it goes from it, to your device, is the issue. The current changes depending on what you're doing, what services are running in the background, etc.

If it gets hot, which is easily possible with a big book with lots of images and the like, it will blow up/leak with the pressure coming from the excess oxygen. It's like exposing a boiler with already extremely hot water, to 130 F of sun and heat.
Thanks for the only factual answer to the question in the OP.

Neither my original 1st gen Kindle, or my Fire ever got even mildly warm when reading, only when charging.

In any case, I guess I'll have to figure out what else I can do.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Have you tried using a full page magnifier with a paper book, Geoff? My mum, who is a technophobic octogenarian with failing eyesight, finds them to be very effective.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Thanks for the only factual answer to the question in the OP.

Neither my original 1st gen Kindle, or my Fire ever got even mildly warm when reading, only when charging.

In any case, I guess I'll have to figure out what else I can do.
There are plenty of facts in some of these posts. Whether you understand that is another question. But if you think that an eBook reader or tablet cannot spark--THINK AGAIN. And in an environment with high enough concentration of oxygen, even static discharges can ruin your day.