Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #31
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just got mine. So far (I've only looked at it for 5 min.) I like it. The $30 leather cover is quite nice IMO. Downloaded one book from Amazon & one from those I have stored on my webserver and everything seems to work well. I get a horrible Sprint signal in my office so need to be away from here to really see how it works.

All in all I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it.
Do give us some comments on that new cover, and the connection method. And piccies too! I'm waiting to purchase a cover, so I want to know what you think.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #32
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Just got my Kindle2 today

[Moved to my own thread]

Last edited by sfernald; 02-24-2009 at 06:08 PM.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #33
Mintaka
Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.

Device: K2, K3 3G+WiFi, Nexus One (2.2)
Mine arrived too!

Here are a few pictures I snapped while unboxing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2802-1.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	746.1 KB
ID:	24324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2805-1.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	24325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2809-1.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	24326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2811-1.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	24327   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2812-1.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	512.3 KB
ID:	24328  
Mintaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #34
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)

It is incredible thin all right. Makes my laptop look downright huge and it's less than an inch high!

My observations:

The 16 grayscale is better than the Sony 505 I think. Very crisp type and I don't have to put it at a larger size to read it clearly.
The text to voice is just OK. The sound is better with earphones but the speech is definitely "canned" sound and some stutter or echo for lack of a better description. However, it is nice having the news read to me while I type this note.
Since this is a new unit for me, there is a lot I need to explore and learn, but my first impression is definitely positive!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #35
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Another video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvmF1Iaxd80

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 02-24-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #36
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
Here are a few pictures I snapped while unboxing it.
That second picture really threw me for a couple of seconds "What is that bump on the top bezel!? And what are all those extra ridges!?"

He he... packing material, dummy Donn!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #37
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Got mine about an hour ago. Amazon case and connection method are very nice. Not impressed by the fit and finish of the Cole Haan case that I ordered, will probably send it back if someone in the family doesn't take it off my hands. Here is a link to the pictures.

Cole Haan case w/ Kindle2
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #38
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
Got mine about an hour ago. Amazon case and connection method are very nice. Not impressed by the fit and finish of the Cole Haan case that I ordered, will probably send it back if someone in the family doesn't take it off my hands. Here is a link to the pictures.

Cole Haan case w/ Kindle2
Waaaaaaaa I want that case!

Really, its the only thing that makes me jealous of Kindle 2 owners.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #39
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
it has a poor fit and finish...that should make you feel better

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Waaaaaaaa I want that case!

Really, its the only thing that makes me jealous of Kindle 2 owners.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #40
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
it has a poor fit and finish...that should make you feel better

No not really. I love leather, and that texture looks just like the leather on my Cole Haan purse, which is softer than butter.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #41
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I wonder if it has that good old leather smell...I may buy one just to sniff it

Quote:
No not really. I love leather, and that texture looks just like the leather on my Cole Haan purse, which is softer than butter.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #42
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Leather is definitely the highest quality I have seen in an electronics accessory, but the elastic loops that hold it in place cover the power switch at the top, and the front doesn't fold all the way over the front of the kindle2, making it look a little too cheap for a cover this expensive.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #43
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
Leather is definitely the highest quality I have seen in an electronics accessory, but the elastic loops that hold it in place cover the power switch at the top, and the front doesn't fold all the way over the front of the kindle2, making it look a little too cheap for a cover this expensive.
Ahh gotcha. Usually they do a very good job looking at every aspect of one of their products, maybe they had a limited time frame.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #44
pixelbased
pixelbased doesn't litterpixelbased doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Ooooh. It's a good thing I didn't get that Cole Haan case which was the ONLY one I wanted, but the lack of the integrated "patented" hook was a deal breaker, those tabs are too distracting.

Seems like I don't have to take photos since there are so many photos and reviews and such that are popping up.

Here's my assessment so far:

I love the screen, I wish I could adjust the contrast though. It's not a deal breaker. OR maybe I thought the background was "whiter" than the current grey. The screen is still great.

The male voice is definitely more realistic sounding than the female voice. It's just OK, it has it's moments where it's a bit robotic, but I'm more into the reading than the experimental frills.

Web browsing is a bit rough for my taste, but that has to do with refresh rates. Websites are all about quick eye movement, scan and click and such...books are meant to be read word for word. An internet device this is not. A book reader it certainly is.

Having used it, I found myself trying a variety of positions to hold the device. I'm still trying to find my ultimate comfort zone. With the 505, I'd hold it from the bottom and have my thumb on the bottom left corner working the page back and forward buttons. This one doesn't work like that. I'll need more time on that.

I find the device a bit heavy, no? Anyone else think it's heavy? Especially in the leather cover from Amazon. Just picked it up without the leather cover, it feels great. A bit slippery. It's also hard to hold it with the cover on and it folded back with one's LEFT hand. It wants to slide.

Ahhh...it sounds like I'm being all negative here, but the truth is I love the device. I'm just giving my real world experience with it.

I LOVE the screensavers. Such beautiful photos.

Also love the fact that I can charge my phone, and kindle with the same cord. One less thing to shlep around!

I just thought about something: for those people who like to throw the device in a ziplock and read in the tub, the navigation button is more friendly than the scroll wheel I personally don't read when bathing, but it's something to think about.

The dictionary is wonderful. I learned so many new words today that I wouldn't have known just from context.

It's not a "perfect" device, but in my opinion it's the best option out there now. And the Amazon store has plenty of free content too.

I'm sure to update this thread with more findings. I really am enjoying it so far. Back to reading for me!!!

P.S. whoever asked me if it took a screen shot, yes, it did, it showed up on my kindle when I plugged it into my Mac.
pixelbased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #45
pixelbased
pixelbased doesn't litterpixelbased doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Ahh gotcha. Usually they do a very good job looking at every aspect of one of their products, maybe they had a limited time frame.
I've said it in a few posts, if the Cole Haan cover has the same latches as the Amazon official leather cover it would be the BEST accessory because that leather from CH looks sooooo buttery. But the elastic really makes it look cheap. It was sitting in my order before I decided to just drop it from my shopping cart. I couldn't justify the money if that little thing would bother me so much.

Thankfully there's no velcro involved in the official cover! It really is super high quality. The construction detail is superb.
pixelbased is offline   Reply With Quote