Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
sandki
sandki began at the beginning.

Device: sony erader pocket
Kobo Wireless eReader

Im looking at buying a replacement ereader and thought the Kobo looked quite good, my sony pr300 died. I have read what people have said about on here and it still seems a good buy to me.
I am in the UK and i am trying not to spend over £100 for new one.
What does everyone else think about this ereader, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
sandki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Personally, I love it.
Have a Kobo Wifi and (now) a Kobo Touch.
I got the Touch because my wife started reading on the Wifi and wouldn't stop. =]

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know about it?
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
sandki

everything lol, how easy is it to use? I had my prs300 for nearly 2 years and loved it.

I just thought it looked good and the price was good,
Old 07-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
sandki

I dont understand what you mean?
I am asking about the kobo ereader
Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
The Kobo wifi is VERY easy to use. It's very low-drag (it has a grand total of five buttons, plus the D-pad) and as long as you don't mind a lack of touchscreen or keyboard (you use the D-pad to type in anything you need to, a la a console game kind of system), it's fantastic and pretty rugged, too.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
It's very easy to use.
Start it up and you see the I'm Reading section. It's a short list of all the books you have open, with the most recent one selected at the top. You can select it to start reading. Or go to the library which allows you to sort by Title, Author, and... Date Added (not sure about Date Added). You can jump directly to a specific letter (like if you want to read Stanislaw Lem, you can jump right to the 'L' section).

While reading, you press right for next page, left to previous page, up to increase the font size, down to decrease it. Pressing the center button (or the Menu button on the side of the reader) brings up a pop-over menu. (It's like the 'blade' menus on the XBox 360.)

Everything is designed to require the fewest number of button presses: menus remember where you were last and they're customized to where you are (different menus in I'm Reading vs Library vs in a book). Oh, and you can jump directly to a specific page.

Over all, I love using it. I've probably read twenty-five books on it so far and the only thing I like better is my brand new Kobo Touch.

I hope this wasn't too rambling. I'd also be happy to answer any specific questions.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
sandki

Thanks armordog you didnt ramble at all, looks like i will just go for the kobo,
Thanks for info about. I will let you know how i get on with it when i do get it
Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I hope you like it as much as we do!
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #9
sandki

just to let you know i didnt get a kobo i got an Elonex 705 eb and it seems great so far
Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Re your Elonex 705

Hi, I was interested to see you bought an Elonex 705EB. I have one too and I really like it.
Just have a couple of issues.
Firstly, it doesn't laod the book cover in epub format when I have a micro SD card loaded - have you noticed this.
Secondly, I have tried to update with the latest firmware on the Elonex support site but my gadget switches off at the crucial moment. Have you tried this, and how did you get on?
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #11
sandki

Hi, i think its a great ereader, im not using an sd card, not noticed anything about covers yet, they seem to show for me,
I did try to update but couldnt find where to save the files so i gave up.
Have you tried contacted elonex help? I have a couple of times and found them very helpful
Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi again, thanks for your reply. I couldn't update either! It is easy to do BUT everytime I hit the switch box as advised, my ebook switches off and the update is aborted. The people I spoke to at Elonex hadn't a clue although they did suggest I send it back to them for updating. Thought that was pointless. The trouble with their helpdesk is that you seem to get helpful customer services people but the "Elonexperts" seem to be out the back having a fag! Theu never reply to written messages either.
Trouble is, the website doesn't say what the firmware update addresses and I don't know what version I currently have! Their Facebook page isn't helpful either.
Let me know if you have had any success!
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote