Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
Wanted - Earth Based Sci Fi or Post Apocalyptic

Hi,
I love earth based SciFi and Post Apocalyptic books and will be ready to start a new one soon.
Any ideas?

Generally realistic(ish) style ones eg:-
George R Stewart - Earth Abides
John Christopher - The Death of Grass
John Whyndham
Scott Sigler - EarthCore
James Rollins - Subterranean
Or even Dean Koontz at a push

but not the likes of
Harry Turtledove or Piers Anthony all of which are way to weird.

thanks folks!
jeff
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
ReliQ05
ReliQ05 is on a distinguished road

Device: nook Wifi, Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Check out Peter Watts' Rifter Series. It's free on feedbooks.com See if that interests you.

Best of Luck!
ReliQ05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Apikoros18
Apikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
Try the Postman by David Brin, Days of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson, also, this list might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lyptic_fiction Feel free to ask me, I have read probably 3/4 of the list. Love Post-Apocalyptic and Alternate world type fiction
Apikoros18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I LOVED Earth Abides. I'll be checking out a couple of the others you mentioned.

My suggestions:
Suicide Collectors by David Oppegaard (weak ending, but the rest of the book made up for it)
World War Z by Max Brooks (zombie eotwawki fiction)
Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman (light, easy read)
Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

EDIT:
I haven't read this one, but I've heard great things and it's on my TBR list
The World Ends in Hickory Hollow by Ardath Mayhar

Last edited by queentess; 12-14-2010 at 09:35 AM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Someone just asked about this type of book in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69983
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Earth Abides is the standard for PA. Check out
Where late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm
and
Z is for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
IrishBob
IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Fire Tablet
How about Swan Song by Robert McCammon, I enjoyed it very much.
IrishBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Don't forget The Road, by McCarthy. Not exactly SF but definitely post apocalyptic.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliQ05 View Post
Check out Peter Watts' Rifter Series. It's free on feedbooks.com See if that interests you.

Best of Luck!
Seconded! Last I looked, watts' Starfish, Maelstrom, and Behemoth were here in the MR library for free also. These books are amazing!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
One I really enjoyed as a kid was The Pelbar Cycle by Paul O. Williams. 7 books in the series (and I am sad to learn that he passed away last year)

Quote:
His most notable science fiction works are a series of novels, the Pelbar Cycle, set in North America about a thousand years after a "time of fire", in which the world was nearly totally depopulated. The novels track a gradual reconnection of the human cultures which developed. Much of the action takes place in the communities of the Pelbar, along the Upper Mississippi River — in the general vicinity of Elsah. Several cultures, including the matriarchal Pelbar, join together in the Heart River Federation. Others, especially the tyrannical Tantal and slave-raiding Tusco, fall apart after suffering defeats. The predominant characters are change agents: Jestak, Stel and his wife Ahroe Westrun. All are Pelbar. Williams won the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer in Science Fiction in 1983
I'm pleased to see it's back in print, though.

Only seems to be on the Kindle though (and a little pricey)

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-North...2360198&sr=8-5
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Orson Scott Card has a nice new "real earth, near future" sci series called "Empire".

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
How about Pat Frank's Alas, Babylon? I have to admit I've never read it myself (and probably should), but it seems to fit the requirements.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Just trying to come up with something that's not already mentioned, but I really enjoyed "Eternity Road" by Jack McDevitt.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
How about Pat Frank's Alas, Babylon? I have to admit I've never read it myself (and probably should), but it seems to fit the requirements.
Wow! Read that one a LONG time ago ... great book. Havent' been able to find it as a ebook, though.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #15
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I would suggest you also consider books by William Gibson. They are generally near future cyperpunk.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote