Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #211
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Wait..what!?! And yet another book finds its way on my impossibly long TBR.
Ditto. I just wishlisted it. Sounds to bizarre to pass up!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #212
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Wait..what!?! And yet another book finds its way on my impossibly long TBR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Ditto. I just wishlisted it. Sounds to bizarre to pass up!
So perhaps I shouldn't mention that (a) Holt's written about two dozen other books that are equally twisted or (b) BooksOnBoard has 'em on sale right now for one-third off?

One caveat: while most of his books are standalones, seven of them form a series, and that's not obvious at first. He's also written some non-comedic stuff for other publishers; the BoB link filters that out but misses five books that they don't carry.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #213
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Okay, I added Doughnut to my potential read list and it might fit the bill for this year's reading challenge for the 2013 entry.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #214
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
One caveat: while most of his books are standalones, seven of them form a series, and that's not obvious at first.
Thank you for that link. I've read many of Mr Holt's works, and very much enjoyed them, including the first four of the J. W. Wells & Co. series. I have fallen behind, not realising there are now another three to catch up on.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #215
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thank you for that link. I've read many of Mr Holt's works, and very much enjoyed them, including the first four of the J. W. Wells & Co. series. I have fallen behind, not realising there are now another three to catch up on.
The later books start drifting more to a "common setting" than a strict series, but there's enough of a thread there that it's still useful to call it a series. For that matter, Doughnut makes a couple of nods to earlier books, but is functionally an independent work. (At least so far; I'm 60% through it.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #216
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
So perhaps I shouldn't mention that (a) Holt's written about two dozen other books that are equally twisted or (b) BooksOnBoard has 'em on sale right now for one-third off?

One caveat: while most of his books are standalones, seven of them form a series, and that's not obvious at first. He's also written some non-comedic stuff for other publishers; the BoB link filters that out but misses five books that they don't carry.
Okay now, you're just being
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #217
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I just haven't managed to keep track this year. I've read ALL of the Cherryh Foreigner series, several of the Phryne Fisher series, a couple of the Corinna Chapman books, two Campion books, and a bunch of other miscellaneous things I really haven't kept track of. So I'm abandoning this year's challenge and list.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #218
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
22! That marks the halfway mark of my required reading list. Only twenty-two more years to go.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #219
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Occasionally I find it fun to mathematically check how I am doing in reaching my goal for the year. I do this strictly for fun. My goal is eighty five books for the year so 85 / 12 = the number of books that I need to read per month or 7.08 and 7.08/4 weeks per month gives me the number of books that I need to read per week 7.08/4 = 1.77 per week. We are currently in the 12th week of 2013 therefore 1.77 * 12 gives m the number of books that I need to have read by the end of this week which is 21.25 or in others words 21 and a quarter books. Since I am working on books twenty and twenty one I am a little behind at this point if I want to make that goal however not too far behind.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #220
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Occasionally I find it fun to mathematically check how I am doing in reaching my goal for the year. I do this strictly for fun. My goal is eighty five books for the year so 85 / 12 = the number of books that I need to read per month or 7.08 and 7.08/4 weeks per month gives me the number of books that I need to read per week 7.08/4 = 1.77 per week. We are currently in the 12th week of 2013 therefore 1.77 * 12 gives m the number of books that I need to have read by the end of this week which is 21.25 or in others words 21 and a quarter books. Since I am working on books twenty and twenty one I am a little behind at this point if I want to make that goal however not too far behind.
You are making an arithmetical mistake. There are twelve months in a year, but there are more than 48 week in a year. To make your goal of 85 books, you need to read 85/52 = 1.64 (rounding up) books per week. So by the end of week twelve you only need to have read 12*1.64 = 19.7 books. So if you're currently working on your 20th book, I'd say you were bang on target.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #221
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'm not staying with my reading plan very well because of re-reading old favorites. Every few years it seems I must revisit Jeeves and Bertie, Mapp and Lucia. Sometimes I feel like a regular of the midnight showings of the The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Familiarity with the stories and dialogue does not lessen the pleasure.

I don't actually want to re-read, at least in theory, because of the length of my TBR list. But several of the books I've read so far this year, beyond Wodehouse and Benson, have been books I remembered loving many years ago. Oh well, I suppose we read most often for the pleasure it brings us.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #222
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My goal is 144 books total, as it has been for the last several years. Every year I've fallen short. Last year I was short by 50. This year I am ahead of schedule at this point by 3 books, and am hoping to finally reach my goal.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #223
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My goal is to reach the same point in 2013 that I finished up 2012 at, although others tell me that I am on point to finish my goal on time I personally do not believe them.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #224
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm still ahead of schedule, by three books according to Goodreads. I just finished book number 14 (out of 50): The Fault in our Stars by John Green. Highly highly highly recommended. Onto number 15: Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie Perkins.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #225
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Well, I'm struggling vainly to reduce my TBR. March, so far, has a slim chance of being the first month where I have read at least as many books as I've bought (and would have been even better without that pesky Amazon sale.)

As of right now, I've read 11 books, discarded 1, and increased my TBR by 33, of which 15 cost money.

Out of interest I decided to see how many of those 33 new books I had specifically sought out, rather than just picking up because they were cheap/free. It turns out to be somewhere between 3 and 7, depending on how strict I am. Everything else I have picked up just because it was a bargain and sounded interesting or was part of a series.

So if I cook the figures in one particular way, I'm doing okay.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote