Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Post The MobileRead Literary Book Club November 2011 Nominations

Welcome to the brand new Book Club sub-forum created by the moderator team, and help us select the work that the MobileRead Literary Book Club will read for November 2011.

Nominations will run through October 25.

The category for this month is:

Lottery - A member is chosen by random to select the month's work

In order to be eligible, a member needs to have voted or nominated a work in every month since the last Member Lottery, so September and October.

Each participant may nominate themselves only. There are no seconds, thirds or so on.

To nominate yourself, simply post your nomination. It will be helpful if you also provide instances of your votes or nominations for September and October (simply name one work you voted/nominated for each of September and October).

A member will be randomly chosen from the nominees on October 25, using a randomisation generator.

After the member is chosen, I will start a new vote thread, and the winner should post their choice for the November selection. The member may choose any work they consider "literature", except for works chosen by either book club in the last two years.

Once the selection has been posted, it will need TEN confirmation votes to declare it our monthly selection. The criteria for confirming is simply to agree that the work is considered or seems to be "literature", whether or not it is appealing to the one confirming.

Voting will be open for three days. Once the selection has ten confirmations, the process will be over for November's selection.

However, if the selection does not receive enough votes, then we will revert to a "second-chance" month. The five non-winning selections with the most votes from previous months will be put to a short vote and the winner will be our selection.

What is literature for the purposes of this book club? A well-regarded work. Often (but not always) it is important, challenging, critically acclaimed, has a deeper meaning, makes one think. It may be from ancient times to today; it may be from anywhere in the world; it may be obscure or famous, short or long; it may be a story, a novel, a play, a poem, an essay or another written form. If you are unsure if a work would be considered literature, post it and ask. This is an educational (and enjoyable) process for us all.

The floor is now open to nominations!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I nominate moi. In September I nominated People of the Abyss and Christ Stopped at Eboli and in October I nominated Candida.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I'm in. October I nominated Glengarry Glen Ross and The Glass Menagerie. In September I nominated In Cold Blood. Voted both months.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I nominate myself. In September I nominated Insurgent Mexico and in November Voyage.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Three so far. A little less than a day left for anyone to nominate themselves.
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations are closed.

I will list the three nominees in the order they posted and use a random number generator to choose a number 1-3. The person associated with the corresponding number will be the winner.

Here are the nominees:

1) issybird
2) Hamlet53
3) toomanybooks

Alright, I'm off to generate the number...
Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The result is in! And the winner is (drumroll please)....

Spoiler:

"2" - Hamlet53

Congratulations! And thanks to all who joined in.

I will start a new vote thread shortly where the winner will post their selection and we will vote on confirming it.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Before I make my selection, what is the current thinking on requiring that the book be available as an ebook?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

There is no ebook requirement in this book club.

Tags
book club, literary, literature, lottery, nominations