Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
And, by extension, you suggest that that relation is true also for the Sony Reader? That the printed book, considered as an object for reading, compares unfavourably with the Sony Reader?
I think he's just pointing out that he sees a flaw in the writer's logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Actually the whole point about paper is that it revolutionised book production precisely because it was cheap to make.
Hmm. That suggests that electronic books should revolutionize book production because e-books have lower production cost than p-books, and for the price of ~15 hardbacks you can get a reader that will last through reading thousands and thousands of e-books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Do you not find that a Pyramid is inconveniently large to carry around with you when you fancy a read? I think I would!
Just imagine trying to take it to the bathroom with you!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Just imagine trying to take it to the bathroom with you!
Why not just build a bathroom at the pyramid...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, it'd have to be a mobile bathroom, you wouldn't want to have to get up and walk to the next side to change the page.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #19
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
I have to say, I stopped reading at this part:

"But the Reader's display has one fatal shortcoming that makes even that kind of quick reading impossible. Every time you turn a virtual page, the screen must reconfigure its microcapsules, so that it momentarily displays a negative of the page to come, a whiteon-black image that hovers for a second and then winks out. The disruption is so headache-inducing and hard on the eyes as to cancel out the benefits of the "E Ink" display."

----------------

That's just plain madness. I'm as anal as the next person (and more so in many, many respects. However, I've gotten very used to the screen flash, and actually look forward to it as a "break" from reading the current page, and a moment's peace before the next appears.

But each to their own, I suppose.
Bet turning pages in a p-Book must drive him insane!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #20
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremegene
I'm sure when paper was first introduced many, many, moons ago, it wasn't exactly the cheapest thing around as it probably wasn't mass produced like it is now. I'd like to see him compare the cost of an 'original' paper book, adjusted for inflation, and see if he still complains about the Reader in the historical context of things.

Anyone else find it just a little bit ironic that the writer mentions "1984", which is included with the Reader, in the article?
Yep. Paper back novels were look down on. Cheep trash reading. Major move produces were litigating the first Video tape machines. All are now major items and money makers now!.

Lets face it. Same type of report as would be covering horse and buggy's to these new fangles automobiles.

The hand writing on the wall. This times its in e-ink!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:24 PM   #21
wiseman
wiseman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Things are getting better folks....... the color version coming up next year!!!!!!!!

I just wish Sony has some good competition and becomes less restrictive.
wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote