Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #61
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Katsunami did not say he pirates books. You must have misinterpreted his post.
I must have. It was a mistake. I forget about legitimate downloads and public domain.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:07 AM   #62
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I must have. It was a mistake. I forget about legitimate downloads and public domain.
Katsunami was indeed talking about pirated books, though.

He said he didn't download them.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-04-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typoos :D
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #63
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Katsunami wa indeed talking about pirated books, though.

...because it would be too much work getting thrm up to spec.
I can buy that argument.

Way back when, I downloaded the Gutenberg dvd image file and cleaned them up to make mobi and lit versions using batch files and perl scripts. I wasn't even aiming for perfection (just readability and proper file names) and my poor PC ran 24x7 for two weeks straight. The thought of manually working my way through even a fraction of the 14K titles was... well, unthinkable.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #64
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Katsunami was indeed talking about pirated books, though.

Nobody downloads pirated books...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #65
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I heard there's a couple guys in Sweden, but they mostly download the stuff they put up. (Because they are trying to look more popular than they really are.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #66
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I don't blame Katsunami for downloading books, but I don't want to openly approve because, hello, the moderators might suddenly swoop down.
You must have misread my post, as others already said

"If I had only wanted the content, I could have downloaded OCR'd copies" means that I wanted more than just the content (a real book), and DIDN'T download/read the pirated ones.

More accurately though, it went like this:
1. Buy ereader; no more heavy books
2. Try to buy books... somewhere. (Yes, the reader was an impulse buy.)
3. ^%&^%$^ .... Not available.
4. ^%&^%$^ .... Not available.
5. .... Repeat 3 and 4 ... !!
6. Go onto some torrent sites.
7. Available! Download it!
8. See crap quality and be disapointed because of bad layout and millions of errors
9. Throw away the download.
10. Repeat 2 up to 9 for two months.
11. Get very angry.
12. Sell ereader and wait.

In 2010, an explosion of available ebooks occurred, Calibre had matured greatly, and when the Kindle Touch was introduced in 2011, I bought it. Didn't read a paper book since. Using Kobo codes I can get original, legal books for so little money that it's not worth it to even try and find pirated copies. Who would, if a book only costs $1 or even less?

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-04-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #67
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
That too; I have downloaded (dumped, actually) several sites that provide public domain books and classics. Of some of those I have 5 or more versions. Should I want to read one, I pick the best from the bunch, and then throw away the others.

Quote:
I won't say I'm holier than thou. If there is no way for me to get a book I know to be available (this mostly has to do with georestrictions), I will probably download it, assuming it can be found online.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-04-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:52 AM   #68
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I lol'd.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #69
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Generalities aside, it all depends on the book and the movie. For example, I'll see any well reviewed movie or TV adaptations of certain classics, eg Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Sherlock Holmes. Like a good Shakespeare production, it never gets old. Some books I like just don't lend themselves to movie adaptation, so when someone does make one, it's usually with mixed results. Then there are books I think would make pretty good movies but probably won't get made because they won't be commercial, eg Greg Bear's Forge of God.

Seeing a movie first rarely entices me to read the book it is adapted from afterwards. For example, No Country For Old Man is just perfect and I have no interest in reading the McCarthy book. If there is a book I've been meaning to read and I hear there is a movie adaptation coming out, I probably try to read the book before seeing movie.

What I've never done is read a novelization of a movie or read a book set in the world of a movie or TV series, even though I hear there are some good ones. Comic books excepted.

Then there are books I have no interest in reading but will happily watch on Netflix or cable *cough* twilight *cough*.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #70
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Then there are books I have no interest in reading but will happily watch on Netflix or cable *cough* twilight *cough*.
Did you try to read those books? I am just wondering if you trust enough others that are not happy with Twilight the book, or if there is something wrong with them.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #71
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Did you try to read those books? I am just wondering if you trust enough others that are not happy with Twilight the book, or if there is something wrong with them.
I read the first book (Twilight) after watching the movie. I liked the movie, so I went looking for the book. The book is definitely much better with a more complete story and more characters depth.

However, I don't like that the entire series stretches out to four books. I like Twilight and Breaking Dawn (the fourth book), but not New Moon (the second book) and Eclipse (the third book). I think the second and the third books are rather unnecessary, and do nothing more than dragging out the entire story.

As for the movie adaptations, I still think Twilight is the best with a mystical kind of aura throughout the entire movie. (And I love the soundtrack!) The other three are much more commercialized and a lot more "meh".
BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #72
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyMore View Post
I read the first book (Twilight) after watching the movie. I liked the movie, so I went looking for the book. The book is definitely much better with a more complete story and more characters depth.

However, I don't like that the entire series stretches out to four books. I like Twilight and Breaking Dawn (the fourth book), but not New Moon (the second book) and Eclipse (the third book). I think the second and the third books are rather unnecessary, and do nothing more than dragging out the entire story.

As for the movie adaptations, I still think Twilight is the best with a mystical kind of aura throughout the entire movie. (And I love the soundtrack!) The other three are much more commercialized and a lot more "meh".
Ah thank you. It sounded at first like you did not give the books a chance. It is nice to read a review that is not one of the extremes - yay or nay. I will take your advice though and still stay away from the books - unnecessarily draging out the story is not nice and doesn't work for every book.

Definitely agree on the commercializing of the last 4 movies - especially breaking up Breaking Dawn into two parts.

P.S. my apologies - when I wrote this post I thought Barty and BuyMore was the same person. Thanks BuyMore for catching that.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 09-06-2014 at 07:09 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #73
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes. I started on book one, but did not finish. There's only so much empathy a middle aged guy muster for a moony love struck girl who is so passive and whose entire existence revolves around a boy. Okay, maybe that's how teen age girls in love are, but she doesn't seem to have any girl friends or ambition or outside interests.

I did not know anything about the twilight phenomenon or the author when I picked it up. Now that I know she's a devout Mormon, it makes even less sense. A heroine who wants to be bitten by a vampire so she can be with him. What the heck kind of Christian message is that?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote