Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #1336
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@casey2: You need to use the packages from the snapshots thread .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #1337
casey2
casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.casey2 inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
@NiLuJe- Problem solved. Thanks.
casey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #1338
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Although, knc1 just made me remember something: which FW is this running? And how old is the jailbreak? You might need to update the JB for it to handle FW 5.4 properly on a PW1...
(As a matter of fact, try that first, that might just be the key: install jb, restart).
That did the trick. I downloaded the current jailbreak, applied it and apparently this did the trick. it displayed "**** Jailbreak ****" and after a restart "Configuring Screensaver" or some such appeared duringthe boot sequence.

First book I tested had the wrong cover, but that's a fixable problem. Have to drop in my custom pinfo.png anyway.

That's the good new.

The bad news: I wanna have a Voyage. I hope that one can be jailbroken, too.
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #1339
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBr View Post
- - - -
The bad news: I wanna have a Voyage. I hope that one can be jailbroken, too.
I haven't heard any signs that we are giving up our side of the war with Amazon over end-user modifications to the end-user's device.

I am one of those here who strongly believes that the owner of the device is also the owner of the device's behavior.
Amazon is strongly on the other side of that position.

But without a working crystal ball, I can't make more than a position statement now.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #1340
PeterBr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I haven't heard any signs that we are giving up our side of the war with Amazon over end-user modifications to the end-user's device.

I am one of those here who strongly believes that the owner of the device is also the owner of the device's behavior.
Amazon is strongly on the other side of that position.

But without a working crystal ball, I can't make more than a position statement now.
Ah, well, I can understand both positions insofar that some people want to customize and some want to make sure that their devices and services are secure.

As long as it isn't make illegal to jailbreak your own device, let the market fight it out. :-)

The screensaver hack is the only thing I need after all, and, while damn nice, non essential. But that said: Is there a way to donate towards jailbreak efforts?
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #1341
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBr View Post
- - - -
Is there a way to donate towards jailbreak efforts?
Not really, we do it for the fun of the challenge.

It just costs our volunteer developers the time which they are interested in spending.

- - - -

Of course, Amazon has to pay their programmers for their time.

But Amazon is not reporting how many mega-bucks they have spent to keep the Kindle users out of their own device.
That would be a nice piece of trivia to know.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #1342
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
knc1, obviously more than it was worth as they haven't managed to keep the devs here out of their devices.
Or thanks to the devs the rest of us out of ours.
I only really need (ok want) the screensavers hack but the Sudoku, calc, battery percent, collections manager and KUAL are all welcome bonuses as well
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #1343
PeterBr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
knc1, obviously more than it was worth as they haven't managed to keep the devs here out of their devices.
I only really need (ok want) the screensavers hack but the Sudoku, calc, battery percent, collections manager and KUAL are all welcome bonuses as well
Sudoku?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #1344
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
Yup, we have a lot of things people find useful to add-in here.

On the subject of device security - -
There are two "updaters" in the Kindle firmware -

We have never made a very serious attempt to 'crack' the one that handles OTA updates.
Doing that would open up the possibility of network distributed, auto-installed, Kindle malware.

So we stick with the one that requires end-user actions to install anything.
Nothing gets added to an end-user's Kindle unless they do it themselves.

Of course, that does not stop someone from using our (public, posted) tools to build a malware package for Kindles.

On that note - we just stick with our "trust level" earned in the end-user's minds by keeping the quality of the work found here at a high level.
And a quick response to any questions about any of the things found here.

And everything here is under continuous review by our user-base.
Hey, it works for us.

I personally like to think that this site has distributed fewer "mistakes" than Amazon's Lab126 crew has.

Last edited by knc1; 09-18-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #1345
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
PeretBR yes, it's around in this forum somewhere, sorry I can't be more specific.

knc1, indeed, best way to do it make sure people are doing it themselves.
No attempt to hack the OTA, well except for the Back Door Lock breaking the OTA
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #1346
KindleBabies
KindleBabies began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd)
I have another problem same thing with my jailbreak but I succeeded it thanks to knc1 now when I try installing a hack the update button is blurred out I extracted the bin file into Kindle :E
KindleBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #1347
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleBabies View Post
I have another problem same thing with my jailbreak but I succeeded it thanks to knc1 now when I try installing a hack the update button is blurred out I extracted the bin file into Kindle :E
What "hack" are you trying to install?

The ones on the NiLuJe's Snapshots thread have been re-packaged to include your device:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
Old 09-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #1348
KindleBabies
KindleBabies began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd)
Thanks man again. The font, screensaver, and usbnet
KindleBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #1349
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleBabies View Post
Thanks man again. The font, screensaver, and usbnet
I am sure you have by now found all of those.

We have not "released" the new packages because we expect more new models (it's Amazon's time-of-the-year for doing new devices).
Old 10-29-2014, 12:45 AM   #1350
Shalk
Shalk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2 - KPW2
Hello, I instaled de hack and was working ok. While I was testing the options, suddenly the screensaver hack don't follow working.

Is there any method to uninstall the screensaver hack and install it again?

What do you think?

Thanks.
Shalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch