Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #16651
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Reading Wen Spencer's latest Eight Million Gods. Reading the description for the book, I was only mildly interested, but as usual her writing has captured me and I'm trying to find 5 minute slots in my day to steal time to read. Recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'll pop it to the top of my list. I agree that her writing is excellent.
Finished it. OK, it's a bit far fetched, but this IS fantasy after all.

I'd have to say the ending is perhaps the weakest link, but I still definitely enjoyed it. Makes me think it's almost time to take a pass through the Tinker series again. Especially since there's a new one due out later this year. (And a new Pittsburgh story is the Baen Free Story this month.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #16652
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've started "ship of magic". Seems interesting already!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #16653
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got four books in progress right now:

Willa Cather - "Death Comes For The Archbishop"
Sandra Hill - "Kiss of Temptation"
Stephen Hunt - "Transference Station"
Alexandre Dumas - "The Three Musketeers"

That's what happens when you get a new Nook HD and decide to try out a bunch of different reader apps.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #16654
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Alexandre Dumas - "The Three Musketeers"
What do you think of this one so far?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #16655
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading The Da Vinci Code on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	da vinci.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	106155  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #16656
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
What do you think of this one so far?
I reread this a few months ago and still loved it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #16657
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'll mention that in the "Light a Candle" thread. Hang in there.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #16658
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I've started "ship of magic". Seems interesting already!
Did you move onto that trilogy right after finishing the Farseer Trilogy? I think I'm going to start the Liveship Traders soon. I am skeptical about whether I will enjoy a story set on the seas but I miss Hobb's world. I'm glad to hear you are finding it a good choice!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #16659
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll mention that in the "Light a Candle" thread. Hang in there.
I have to admit... I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Da Vinci Code.' (I also admit to enjoying Big Mac's and Domino's Pizza, and refuse to tie the sleeves of my sweater around my neck. )

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #16660
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I've reached the last page of Sail! It never got better in my opinion, but I see that as a good opportunity to enjoy the next book. So now The Great Gatsby it is!
The Great Gatsby was more than welcome/ I really liked it for its story, the descriptions and the writing.
I've just started Le secret de Crickley Hall/The Secret Of Crickley Hall (in French). I'm already hooked by the first pages and I have a feeling that I'll really like it

(I've put Jo Nesbø's books away for a couple of weeks)
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #16661
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I have to admit... I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Da Vinci Code.' (I also admit to enjoying Big Mac's and Domino's Pizza, and refuse to tie the sleeves of my sweater around my neck. )

Stitchawl
I know. I just couldn't resist a cheap shot at Dan Brown. It's the "in" thing to do these days. In truth, I have no opinion on the book one way or another, except to say it seems rather questionable that he presented "all descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals" in his book as being accurate; a claim with which numerous critics have taken issue. But as a work of fiction, I can't judge it without reading it.

Just having a bit of fun. Never mind me—I am an idiot, you know.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #16662
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I know. I just couldn't resist a cheap shot at Dan Brown. It's the "in" thing to do these days.
I know. As are cheap shots at McD's and Yuppies. But if you can't make fun of something fun, what CAN you make fun of?!?

Quote:
In truth, I have no opinion on the book one way or another,
There is a 3-hour way to remedy that...
I found it to be a fast paced, enjoyable story. I didn't question the accuracy. I wasn't reading it for a school test. Nor was I expecting another Dickens, Homer, or Hemingway. I was expecting a good mystery/action bus-ride read, and that's what I got. I'd be interested to hear your reaction to it. It wouldn't take much time to read it. Give it a go, and let's hear what you discovered. I've since read all of Brown's other stuff. A couple were good, one was pretty poor, but only because it was too 'formula.'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #16663
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just finished The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. I liked the structure, but I found it for the most part dull. The last part was the best and it's a shame the story didn't revolve more around that part of plot which was more interesting and tragic and pulled at my humanity.

Well, it's off to probably a difficult read now. Philip Gourevitch's We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #16664
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Did you move onto that trilogy right after finishing the Farseer Trilogy? I think I'm going to start the Liveship Traders soon. I am skeptical about whether I will enjoy a story set on the seas but I miss Hobb's world. I'm glad to hear you are finding it a good choice!
I read two or three books after finishing the Farseer series before starting this one. It's not what I expected but I am really enjoying it so far.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #16665
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I reread this a few months ago and still loved it.
Apache
And have you read the sequels, Twenty Years Later and The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later? If so, are they good as well?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote