Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
No wi-fi available

My wife's Kindle Touch has suddenly refused to recognise our wi-fi. Never had this problem with my much older Kindle keyboard. Several other devices happily using the home router's wi-fi (my iPad, her Galaxy tablet, etc).

Would much appreciate any suggestions. Tried several restarts. Reluctant to use Reset Device as I see that will lose all content.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like a hardware fault. Doing "Factory Reset" is really your only hope. Take a backup of the "documents" folder on the Kindle first and it shouldn't be too painful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Thanks Harry, appreciate the fast reply. That's bad news...

Can you spell out how to take a backup of the documents folder please?

--

Last edited by terrypin; 04-01-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
Thanks Harry, appreciate the fast reply. That's bad news...

Can you spell out how to take a backup of the documents folder please?

--
Connect it to your PC/Mac and make a copy of the 'documents' folder from the Kindle. If you end up with a replacement though you'll have to download most if not all content from Amazon (DRM/content-locking improving your life again)
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
terrypin
Connoisseur

Thanks, understood.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It probably won't work but it's always worth restarting your router and then giving the Kindle one last try to rediscover the WiFi before you take the plunge and reset your Kindle.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
you could try the WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE file on the root of the device (with no extension)

You say it "does not connect"... Does it even bring up the router in the detected list?

having a quick look through the logs for the reason might not hurt also.

;dm in the search bar and then having a look for any errors relating to the connection would not be a bad move (after a failed connection)

I would try that.

I believe the WPA bit is to do with your wifi...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_324.png
Views:	198
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	103777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_326.png
Views:	208
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	103779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_329.png
Views:	198
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	103780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_328.png
Views:	209
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	103781  

Last edited by twobob; 04-01-2013 at 03:02 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suppose there is always the horrid possibility that Amazon have accidentally blacklisted the machine..

(IIRC that is the exact message when such a thing occurs)

Customer Services would be able to help there.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
terrypin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
It probably won't work but it's always worth restarting your router and then giving the Kindle one last try to rediscover the WiFi before you take the plunge and reset your Kindle.
Thanks, that's another thing I tried, unfortunately with no success. (Didn't really seem a logical step anyway, given that other devices, including my own Kindle, have solid wifi connections.)

--
Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
terrypin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
you could try the WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE file on the root of the device (with no extension)

You say it "does not connect"... Does it even bring up the router in the detected list?

having a quick look through the logs for the reason might not hurt also.

;dm in the search bar and then having a look for any errors relating to the connection would not be a bad move (after a failed connection)

I would try that.

I believe the WPA bit is to do with your wifi...
Thanks, I'll try that. Presumably this is with the device connected to my wife's PC?

--
Old 04-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
terrypin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I suppose there is always the horrid possibility that Amazon have accidentally blacklisted the machine..

(IIRC that is the exact message when such a thing occurs)

Customer Services would be able to help there.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, worth a try I suppose. Has such a thing ever happened?

--
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
twobob

One has to imagine it has...

If there is a button? someone somewhere is gonna misclick it
Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
Thanks, I'll try that. Presumably this is with the device connected to my wife's PC?

--
It will just make you some documents you can read on the kindle OR on your pc? up to you.

(I pictured the docs it makes...)
Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Does your router support WPS? If so, press the wps button on the router and kindle should detect that and give you a 'connect via wps' option. I have a 63 character wpa key and was very glad I did not have to type that in. I believe wps is supported by Kindle Keyboard and later models. I connected this way with my PW and KTouch.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #15
terrypin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Does your router support WPS? If so, press the wps button on the router and kindle should detect that and give you a 'connect via wps' option. I have a 63 character wpa key and was very glad I did not have to type that in. I believe wps is supported by Kindle Keyboard and later models. I connected this way with my PW and KTouch.
It doesn't appear that my BT Home Hub router does. And there's no such button on it.

But all other devices are working OK with this router, using its current settings. And so did the Kindle Touch until a couple of days ago. Doesn't that rule out 'router settings' as a possible area to pursue?

--

Tags
wifi