Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2024, 06:12 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Initial thoughts on Libra Colour setup

Just received my Libra Colour and just finishing the setup. So far... some very interesting changes to the process.

I was doing the whole thing wirelessly with my ChromeBook next to me.

Once I'd entered the WiFi password (oh the joys of a random 15 character, mixed case and numbvers password) that was the only typing required on the device. Everything else was handled via the browser on the ChromeBook and entering a 6 character code. This included
  • Device activation
  • Dropbox integrations
  • Google Drive activation
  • Overdrive activation
  • Pocket

So far a very smooth, painless process. Next to copy over my existing ePubs, NickelMenu and Kobo UnCaged.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:22 PM   #2
desterly
Enthusiast
desterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: KV, Forma, Libra Colour
I had a similar experience.

Biggest frustration was after I sync'd over my books from calibre, i realized i forgot to turn off grayscale conversion for covers so had to resync to fix that (why have grayscale images on a color device)

NickleMenu / NickleClock installed w/ no issues. Haven't tried any patches yet but that's probably next.
desterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:43 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desterly View Post
I had a similar experience.

Biggest frustration was after I sync'd over my books from calibre, i realized i forgot to turn off grayscale conversion for covers so had to resync to fix that (why have grayscale images on a color device)

NickleMenu / NickleClock installed w/ no issues. Haven't tried any patches yet but that's probably next.
I've never installed any patches, so that's a non issue for me
Old 04-30-2024, 07:44 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

One thing I'm noticing is a "flash" when NickelClock updates. I have it displaying the time in the upper left of the status bar and when it updates the little rectangular area around the time flashes to a black background before reverting to the white background.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2024, 07:51 PM   #5
desterly
Enthusiast
desterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: KV, Forma, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One thing I'm noticing is a "flash" when NickelClock updates. I have it displaying the time in the upper left of the status bar and when it updates the little rectangular area around the time flashes to a black background before reverting to the white background.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
I noticed that too from time to time. I believe once I set the screen to refresh at chapter change it stopped.

I notice it with stock items too.. for example if you are using the left edge to adjust brightness, it now shows where the chapter info is "BRIGHTNESS: x%" and that flashes the same way (black background then white)
desterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:02 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
There was no option to setup from pc. but I connected to my computer regardless. SideloadedMode=yes and restart, and it works perfectly.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:53 PM   #7
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
There was no option to setup from pc. but I connected to my computer regardless. SideloadedMode=yes and restart, and it works perfectly.
I can't get SideloadedMode for some reason
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:54 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
I can't get SideloadedMode for some reason
In what way you don't get it?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:57 PM   #9
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
In what way you don't get it?
I can't find that entry
Old 04-30-2024, 09:25 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
I can't find that entry
Under the [ApplicationPreferences] header in Kobo eReader.conf, did you add SideloadedMode=true ?

Normally, that entry will not exist until you create it and case matters. Also note that under Windows, you need to use a Unix EOL aware editor such as Notepad++.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:27 PM   #11
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Under the [ApplicationPreferences] header in Kobo eReader.conf, did you add SideloadedMode=true ?

Normally, that entry will not exist until you create it and case matters. Also note that under Windows, you need to use a Unix EOL aware editor such as Notepad++.
I was just thinking that I needed to manually add it first time, but I'm at work and couldn't test. Thank you for confirmation & I'll do that when I'm home
Old 05-01-2024, 12:41 AM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I had forgotten to install Nickel Series before loading my thousand books. It always just works so seemlessly, this is the 3rd time I forgot to isntall it on a new device.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote