Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Dragon_Well
Enthusiast
Dragon_Well began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-reader, Sony PRS-600
New Bebook Firmware - bb1-20090902

Just noticed this.

Quote:
This update was released September 7th 2009.

Here is the September 2009 firmware update for your BeBook eReader.

WARNING: Read the full text and instructions before upgrading.

This release note is for the August 2009 update. Firmware version NL-2.10-20090902

Changes compared to the update from August 2009
CHANGE: search with SMS-like keyboard for ePub and PDF files.
FIX: zoomlevels for ePub and PDF files are optimized.
FIX: locking and unlocking the keyboard while reading ePub and PDF files.
http://www.mybebook.com/update/bb1-20090902.zip
Dragon_Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I am testing it, and I call bullshit: zoom levels for pdf files are the same 5 ones. None is usable.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I tried the EZ Reader Basic version, see New firmware and it was a bit different from the earlier ADE firmware (both are standard Jinke firmware, with EZ Reader splash screens, so far as I know).

The PDF font sizes had changed. Now font size 4 is the old font size 3, and font size 5 is smaller than the old font size 4. I did not have much problem with the original PDF sizes, which were better than the ePub sizes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
I am testing it, and I call bullshit: zoom levels for pdf files are the same 5 ones. None is usable.
Bullshit ? They added a search function - I tried it, it works. Also, they got rid of the locking bug, so that is another step forward. Right now, I am happy
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
The switch menu to XPDF is gone....
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Dragon_Well
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
The switch menu to XPDF is gone....
Which firmware(s) had this? Does it switch pdf from reflow mode to "true zoom"?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
I installed the Aztak FW and the PDF ADE EPUB zoom was fixed. Then I installed the BeBook FW and it worked just like the Aztak with the plus of a usable search function. The only thing missing now is the internal hyperlink problem - it they fix that one I am all smiles
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Well View Post
Which firmware(s) had this? Does it switch pdf from reflow mode to "true zoom"?
The Hanlin V5 firmware has an XPDF switch. It is used to allow TTS for DRM-free PDFs. The XPDF appears to be the old PDF (pre-ADE) reader, with three zoom levels (full screen, full screen margins clipped, and landscape margins clipped).
Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsheets View Post
Then I installed the BeBook FW and it worked just like the Aztak with the plus of a usable search function.
I can't get the text entry to work. If I want "C" how do I do this? When I press 1 multiple times all I ever get a A or B.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I can't get the text entry to work. If I want "C" how do I do this? When I press 1 multiple times all I ever get a A or B.
It takes the correct timing. In the beginning, I also made some spelling errors, but after some time I got used to it.

Before I got my Bebook, I also looked at other ebook readers and noticed that some have a search function. The fact that the Bebook had none was a real letdown. However, now we have got one ... for free
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
Dragon_Well
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Hanlin V5 firmware has an XPDF switch. It is used to allow TTS for DRM-free PDFs. The XPDF appears to be the old PDF (pre-ADE) reader, with three zoom levels (full screen, full screen margins clipped, and landscape margins clipped).
Thanks, I knew about the V5, but the post above led me to think there was a version of the bebook (V3) firmware that had the xpdf option as well.

My understanding is that the TTS feature of the V5 requires XPDF, but I hope that this option is made standard in future V3 firmware as well. The ability to reflow AND zoom is definitely a selling feature of Sony's PRS-600 and 700.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
bebook update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Well View Post
My apologies but once again ...can somebody put this on a rapidshare, megaupload or any other place, please!
Bebook dosent like me!
ninki
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
avidone
avidone began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, kindle2, irex iliad book edition
does not seem to update

I tried to update my BeBook to the new 20090902 firmware several times (including re-downloading from an XP system rather than Mac, and using different software to decompress the file

Used the same 256mB SD I always have for these upgrades

Every time it seems to go fine through "Update Kernel" but then just sit at "Update System"

Last try I gave it more than 15 minutes before re-setting

On reset I still have the 20090803 firmware I last updated to

I am now trying to update to the Astak 20090901-- it also seems to be taking a very long time at "Update System"

Anyone have a clue what might be going on here?

PROBLEM FIXED:

well, I feel pretty stupid, I finally saw, despite "deleting" files from the SD that there were hidden copies of other firmwares sitting in a .trashes folder

I reformatted then copied the new firmware and voila!

Last edited by avidone; 09-09-2009 at 11:17 AM.
avidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninki View Post
can somebody put this on a rapidshare, megaupload or any other place, please!
Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3...4e75f6e8ebb871
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Thank you very much...again

Ninki
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote