Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Adobe Digital Editions is driving me crazy!

I used my mom's PC to 'authorize' my Sony Reader on ADE and then downloaded the Mac version, hoping I could read library books. This program has been wreaking havoc on my machine ever since, and I don't know what the problem is.

I have Stanza installed as well. It is my preferred program for giving things a quick once-over before moving to the reader, and for doing some basic conversions. So if I ever have an epub file I want to take a look at, I double-click on it to launch it. The first time I did this, it tried to launch ADE. I quit ADE, right-clicked and went into the 'set default application to open this file type' dialog, and selected Stanza.

For awhile, everything was fine. Then all of a sudden, one day, it tried opening ADE again. It wanted me to upgrade to a new version and said if I did not, it would not allow me to use the version I had already downloaded. I was a bit annoyed; most programs recommend you upgrade, but I have never had a program force it like this! And also, I said use Stanza for epub. I quit the program, went back into the setting the default application thing again, and for awhile everything was fine,

Downloaded an epub again today, and all of a sudden, it is launching ADE again. Grrrrrrr. I am tempted to just delete the whole thing and forget about reading library books on my Sony. I have never seen a program behave so rudely and keep launching when you tell it not to the reader for that file type, and to force you to download an upgrade when you don't want to.

Should I uninstall? Or is there a way to tell ADE in a more forceful manner to leave me alone unless I call it up myself on purpose?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've had that problem once (but with Word and editing HTML files, which I prefer doing with my Visual Studio, NOT Word) I finally started digging in the registry and removed any reference to Word (except for Word specific documents, naturally) in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT branch... That solved my problem
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'd delete DE and use calibre instead. Delete DE, too.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
EDIT : Looks like I haven't read the original post correctly.
Thought the problem was on the PC and not on the Mac.
Disregard the following, then.

Without going in the registry, you have the file association available in the Windows Explorer.
The following should work for both Windows XP and 2K. Can't say the exact menu names for Vista.
- Click on "Tools", then "Folder options"
- Go to the "File types" tab, and browse down to epub.
- Check what it says in "Open with"
- If it says ADE, then you can use the "Modify" button to select another application
- if it doesn't, you might want to have a look in the "Advanced" menu

Last edited by Gaurnim; 07-23-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Misread
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
There are a couple of things going on here.

First is the file that you're downloading from the library. What you get from them is basically a temporary "ticket" that allows you to then download the encrypted library book from Adobe's servers. This can only be done with ADE. The ticket itself isn't an epub file, so setting Stanza as the file handler for epubs won't make a bit of difference. Also, unless you are decrypting these epub books after downloading (which as far as I know, the tools to do so are only available for Windows), you won't be able to read them in Stanza anyways.

The second issue is how the Mac file handler works. You can have multiple applications set as the default handler for the same file type, unlike on Windows. So unless you actually went into the "Get Info" dialog for an epub and clicked the "Use this application to open all documents like this. Change All." button, you only told the OS to use Stanza as the default for one particular epub file. But again, any epubs that are downloaded from the library will default to using ADE since that's the only program that can properly handle them.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
It was not a library file I downloaded, it was a non-DRM epub from elsewhere. I went into the get info multiple times and did the change all thing. My problem is, it keeps changing itself back without my permission.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Ahh. Okay. The only other thing I can think of that it might be is the file handler setting in your web browser.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote