Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #76
BatmansDouble
BatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Aura
Is thesaurus supposed to work?
BatmansDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #77
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It did in at least one firmware version. But it does an on-line lookup, so it needs the WiFi to be connected.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #78
erikssenmar867
Connoisseur
erikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I have noticed that the feature "PhraseTranslation" does not work more with fw 3.2.0 on my aura HD.
What about you guys? Is there a possibility to reactivate it?
It's very useful with reading books in other languages
erikssenmar867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #79
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
ShowCategoriesFteTile

Starting with firmware 3.1.x there was an (annoying, IMHO) new feature where a categories tile is added to the home screen at the start of every sync.

Happily it there is also a feature setting to turn it off. Just add this to your Kobo eReader.conf file and the tile doesn't appear anymore:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ShowCategoriesFteTile=false

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-13-2014 at 04:22 AM. Reason: remove space from FeatureSettings
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #80
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
An option to just stop the annoying firmware updates would be much more handy, but thank you Geoff I will put this in,I find it also terrible when they add things to my homescreen
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #81
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More options

Tested on Glo, 3.2.0:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
SmartShelves=true
Automatically create collection based on author, series, and document type (might need a restart). Not as powerful as calibre, but I do like it.
EDIT: You cannot delete/edit the created collections. But you can still create you own collection

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Quotestr=true
Add quotestr menu which belongs to the same group as "Add Note" and "Highlight" when you select a sentence. Try it

Last edited by arasyi; 03-13-2014 at 07:17 AM.
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #82
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arasyi View Post
Tested on Glo, 3.2.0:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
SmartShelves=true
Automatically create collection based on author, series, and document type (might need a restart). Not as powerful as calibre, but I do like it.
EDIT: You cannot delete/edit the created collections. But you can still create you own collection
If you use this, DO NOT use calibre for shelf management.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #83
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
There's something strange... I added ExportHighlightsEnabled to the conf file. Now I changed it to ExportHighlights, as suggested before. But if I save, disconnect and connect again, the conf is unchanged.

EDIT: solved after factory reset

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 03-24-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #84
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by arasyi View Post
Tested on Glo, 3.2.0:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Quotestr=true
Add quotestr menu which belongs to the same group as "Add Note" and "Highlight" when you select a sentence. Try it

Tried it, but I don't understad what is supposed to do
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #85
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
Tried it, but I don't understad what is supposed to do
When you select text in a book, the dictionary/annotation menu will display. Under "Add note", there should be an extra menu item, "Quotestr". Selecting that displays the highlighted text in a window. The only option on the window is to close it. Unless I am missing something, it is pretty useless. It is probably some sort of experiment or test bed a Kobo developer has created.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #86
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Do you know what this option do?

PHP Code:
[ReadingLife]
ODM=false 
PS: is it me, or setting numPartialUpdatePageTurns with a number higher than 6 does not work anymore on 3.2?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 03-26-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #87
diane55
diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.diane55 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

The tweak for taking screenshot from Kobo does'nt work anymore with the 3.3.0 version.

[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=true
diane55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #88
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane55 View Post
The tweak for taking screenshot from Kobo does'nt work anymore with the 3.3.0 version.

[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=true
I am almost sure they read with "us" blocking all leaked features.
Stupid, I buy an expensive Aura HD to find out that I had to wait for patches from willing people to use it.
Ok, photo/screenshot is not an advertized feature, but only the stupidity that I can't use the whole page and to find out that another device like my Sony at 6 inch displays more text (with the same font settings) then an unpatched 7 inch Aura HD.
And with every upgrade to make it "better" they disablethe patches more and more, hide them deeper in the firmware.
The only right as a buyer you have now with Kobo is: Never attach it to the internet unpatched, never do a sync, don't use the Kobo software for PC because they can disable everything and change my device that I buyed with a set of options,into something else, and disable options I had and payd for.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #89
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
I am almost sure they read with "us" blocking all leaked features.
Stupid, I buy an expensive Aura HD to find out that I had to wait for patches from willing people to use it.
Ok, photo/screenshot is not an advertized feature, but only the stupidity that I can't use the whole page and to find out that another device like my Sony at 6 inch displays more text (with the same font settings) then an unpatched 7 inch Aura HD.
And with every upgrade to make it "better" they disablethe patches more and more, hide them deeper in the firmware.
The only right as a buyer you have now with Kobo is: Never attach it to the internet unpatched, never do a sync, don't use the Kobo software for PC because they can disable everything and change my device that I buyed with a set of options,into something else, and disable options I had and payd for.
This thread seems to be about "unauthorized" ways to use Nickel, to make it function more like users may want. That is one approach, another is to use other software, than what Kobo provides, and that can be just as valid and would be much less likely to be subject to the whims of Kobo's marketing efforts. The other reading software just lets you read ebooks, no social media, no gathering statistics, no "prizes". Some of the "other than Kobo" software includes games and utilities, as well as a great Start Menu that can let you avoid the Nickel UI altogether.

I don't miss the database or pretty icon display of book covers. I am not one who needs to know how many books I have read, I read for my own enjoyment, not to reach some goal, or provide others (Google or Kobo) with marketing data. Kobo can keep their "Prizes/Awards", I haven't bought but one ebook from them, anyway. A "Sync" feature might become an issue, if my memory were to fail to the point I couldn't find my place in a book I am reading on more than one device. For books read from a single device, the readers keep track of what page I am on just fine. I have my Library of thousands of ebooks organized in a file structure that the basic "File Managers" used by the "other than Kobo" reading software have no trouble with. (Not subject to Database corruption.)

Good luck getting Nickel and the Kobo supplied readers to function as you want them to, I find using the alternative readers much less stressful and more fun anyway.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #90
Nick_1964
Bookworm

So.. if you never use the trunk of your car, only drive when it's dry or in daylight, you find it okay that the dealer rips it all off and remove your lights at your next service repair, unasked ??
And take the rear seat because he find that it no longer needs to be there ?
That is a strange way to look to it, I find very odd...

Tags
nickel, wikipedia