Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #61
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
The virtual Keyboard works great. It is not overly sensitive.

I'm not sure about your other questions with an out of the box nook color, but rooted you can install Documents to GO and various other programs to do what you want.
Thanks. I've always been a bit afraid to root my readers for fear of losing out on any future updates. Is this fear justified?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #62
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks. I've always been a bit afraid to root my readers for fear of losing out on any future updates. Is this fear justified?
Well, you could simply restore the device back to stock if you want. I figure that if B&N updates and the benefits outweigh the root advantages, I'll simply reset the device and start over.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Well, you could simply restore the device back to stock if you want. I figure that if B&N updates and the benefits outweigh the root advantages, I'll simply reset the device and start over.
Thanks for that!

Have you known of anyone who has put a simple word-processing program on a rooted NC?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #64
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
Quote:
Thanks for that!

Have you known of anyone who has put a simple word-processing program on a rooted NC?
im using OfficeSuite on the NC it works well enough, im actually working on a novel and it is nice to be able to do some edits when im on the go.
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #65
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus1999 View Post
im using OfficeSuite on the NC it works well enough, im actually working on a novel and it is nice to be able to do some edits when im on the go.
Is that the Mobile Systems OfficeSuite? That's cool as all get-out! And you have no problem transferring the edited files to a PC?

I was never a fan of the standard Nook, but the NC just may bring me back. The price seems right, and I'm looking for a mobile device for writing. How difficult is it to root the thing?
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #66
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Is that the Mobile Systems OfficeSuite? That's cool as all get-out! And you have no problem transferring the edited files to a PC?

I was never a fan of the standard Nook, but the NC just may bring me back. The price seems right, and I'm looking for a mobile device for writing. How difficult is it to root the thing?
yes i uploaded back to PC and no problem, its unfortunate that docs.google.com doesnt quite work right but i can use it for uploading.

i think rooting is pretty easy, they layout the directions for you on nookdevs website. nerds are the friendliest people...well..the non apple ones. =)
Old 12-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #67
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Actually you could try using Dropbox instead of docs.google. I used Docs To Go Premium for my editing and save my important files in Dropbox. This way if I make a change on my phone I can still open the file on my computer and it'll have the update. Likewise if I root my Nook Color and change anything there. I think Dropbox and Docs to Go are both working on Nook Color...
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #68
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus1999 View Post
yes i uploaded back to PC and no problem, its unfortunate that docs.google.com doesnt quite work right but i can use it for uploading.

i think rooting is pretty easy, they layout the directions for you on nookdevs website. nerds are the friendliest people...well..the non apple ones. =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Actually you could try using Dropbox instead of docs.google. I used Docs To Go Premium for my editing and save my important files in Dropbox. This way if I make a change on my phone I can still open the file on my computer and it'll have the update. Likewise if I root my Nook Color and change anything there. I think Dropbox and Docs to Go are both working on Nook Color...
Thanks for that!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #69
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have Docs to Go Premium installed and having some issues. It keeps telling me I don't have the most up to date key and I need to install it.

I'm reading some stuff on the BN forum "What users want in the Nookcolor" and I've seen multiple references to "opening/activating the bluetooth in the OMAP 3261".

Is this really "there" and just turned off right now? That would certainly open up some nice possibilities and make this an even better tablet (bluetooth keyboard??? Bluetooth headset...ooh...with microphone.....).
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #70
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
i ended up taking mine back. for the last few days i've been having the "ghost touches" that a few people have been reporting. it doesn't have anything to do with rooting.

i may get another later, but i was at my last day for the 14 day return and didn't want to take a chance of getting another bummed unit... though who knows how long it'll take for the issues to start up again with any other unit i get.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #71
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Well perhaps you'd like to tell B&N representatives to read the specifications as well since all 3 of them told me I could read Barnes and Noble's "ereader.com" books on them.
It's a valid point: The salesman I spoke to at B&N wasn't exactly an expert on the device, and told me 2 things that contradicted the specs... including that it could read "ereader books." Of course, this fits with most salesperson experience with electronics in any non-electronics store, and many of the electronics stores...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #72
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
i may get another later, but i was at my last day for the 14 day return and didn't want to take a chance of getting another bummed unit... though who knows how long it'll take for the issues to start up again with any other unit i get.
When you exchange an item doesn't that reset the clock for the return period?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #73
btn
btn is on a distinguished road

Device: nook color
Well I ordered my first book from the B&N store last night and I just realized I already bought it from Amazon last year!
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #74
exodus1999
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Well I ordered my first book from the B&N store last night and I just realized I already bought it from Amazon last year!
must be some book....
Old 12-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #75
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
When you exchange an item doesn't that reset the clock for the return period?
i don't really know but i didn't want to take the chance. i could've asked though.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote