Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
PRS-950: Now with AC charger?

Yesterday, I bought my new PRS-950 reader from Best Buy. It came with a USB cord AND an AC wall charger.

Have they always come with a charger or is this something new?

not mentioned at Sonystyle.com as coming in the box..
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...specifications

Last edited by gardenstate; 11-27-2010 at 06:30 AM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I believe they all have come with the charger. Mine did as well.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Purl5
Enthusiast
Purl5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Not an answer, just an additional question. I bought my 950 too yesterday. bought the separate charger & was surprised to find one in the box.

Before I bring that separate charger back, I wanted to be sure there wasn't some super power I was overlooking that the additional charger has.

That and the $49 sleeve I picked up that was mistakenly priced at $19. I've got an etsy cover on order that is going to take a while, so i bought a nice sleeve thinking it was relatively inexpensive. Yikes when I realized that (yes, math isn't my strong suit, especially when standing in a line at BB) the total really HAD increased more quickly than I thought.
Purl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Mine from the Sony Store had the charger included. Just another reason to pick up the 950 rather than the 650 if you can get a good price.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
Yesterday, I bought my new PRS-950 reader from Best Buy. It came with a USB cord AND an AC wall charger.

Have they always come with a charger or is this something new?
I bought my 950 from Sony Style online and it came with the wall charger.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purl5 View Post
Before I bring that separate charger back, I wanted to be sure there wasn't some super power I was overlooking that the additional charger has.
The Sony displays at my local BB are a horrible mess. You might check to make sure the charger you bought is not for the older readers by checking the type of end connector (barrel vs the newer micro USB). Unless you just want a second charger for the office or something, there really isn't a need for it.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
Purl5
Enthusiast

cool. BB here I come.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
gianfri
Connoisseur
gianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony
I think that the 950 has power requirements more demanding than ordinary USB devices, just like the iPad. When I connect it to my Mac the battery will charge, but if I connect it to a USB hub it will not. That may also affect which chargers will work.

My 650 charges fine whether connected to the hub or to the Mac.
gianfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianfri View Post
I think that the 950 has power requirements more demanding than ordinary USB devices
G, I have been charging my 950 with my USB port ever since I bought it. Everything has worked just fine.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Purl5
Enthusiast

My 950 charges great through my USB port. My PC doesn't "see it" oddly enough through that same port however.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
The Sony displays at my local BB are a horrible mess.
My store, too, and they seem uninterested in fixing it.

I dithered about getting an AC adapter for my 650, meanwhile I lost (hope it wasn't stolen!) my mobile phone; the charger for the replacement (LG) phone works for the *50 series.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purl5 View Post
The included charger has 5v at 1500mA. A lot of the generic AC/USB chargers I've seen or only 500mA or less. I think my Kindle charger is around 800mA. So I would take the generic one back and use the included one as it will most likely charge the 950 faster than the generic ones. The generic ones will often work, but being lower in current (amperage) they will take longer to charge the reader.

And Best Buy is really bad about mislabeling items and prices and not automatically matching the price listed on the web. I always check the web before going to see what BB has on sale. I usually have to make them look up the sale price in order to get it at that price. Very frustrating, but I guess that is how they survive the retail nightmare in a repressed economy. Always keep checking their sale prices for a week or two after purchasing as well. If they sell the item for less than you paid, they will refund you the difference out to about 15 days, but you have to request the refund as it is not automatic.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-27-2010 at 12:55 PM.