Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
olddumbguy
olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC EVO, iPad, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-700, Ipod Touch
New Stephen King e-book delayed (List price $35)

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091021/...s_stephen_king

Quote:
By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer Hillel Italie, Ap National Writer – Wed Oct 21, 2:57 pm ET

NEW YORK – The latest weapon in the publishing price wars: Stephen King.

Scribner announced Wednesday that the digital edition of King's "Under the Dome," a 1,000-plus page novel, would not be released until Dec. 24, virtually the end of the holiday season and a month after the hardcover.

E-books have already been delayed for Sen. Edward Kennedy's "True Compass" and Sarah Palin's "Going Rogue" as publishers try to prevent the cheaper digital editions from taking sales from hardcovers, which, until recently, cost more.

"Given the current state of the marketplace and trends in digital book pricing, we believe that this is the most appropriate publishing sequence for this particular 1088 page work of fiction," said spokesman Adam Rothberg of Scribner's parent company, Simon & Schuster.
The article goes on to discuss pricing...

Last edited by Patricia; 10-24-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Quoting the entire article may violate copyright.
olddumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
olddumbguy
olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC EVO, iPad, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-700, Ipod Touch
Well, this really pisses me off. I had no intention of buying the hardcover, just the ebook, likely from the Sony book store. And I've been really looking forward to this. Hell, I haven't read a paper book in over a year.

Now I don't know what I'm going to do.
olddumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddumbguy View Post
Well, this really pisses me off. I had no intention of buying the hardcover, just the ebook, likely from the Sony book store. And I've been really looking forward to this. Hell, I haven't read a paper book in over a year.

Write the publisher a letter, make it very clear that you are only interested in an ebook and pissing you off is not healthy for their bottom line.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #4
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
MMM the recent publication of Steig Larrsons "the girl who kicked the hornets nest" was similar, three weeks after publication, the e-book version is still not available. This was one that I did by in paper back as I was extremely keen to read it. I can't think of any other author where I would do so. Publishers certainly seem keen to kill of the one area of their business that is experiencing growth.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Another book that seems to be dodging an ebook edition is the latest in the Hitchhikers Guide series because clearly a sci-fi novel that sort of even has an ebook as a character is totally the wrong choice for a digital edition.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Another book that seems to be dodging an ebook edition is the latest in the Hitchhikers Guide series because clearly a sci-fi novel that sort of even has an ebook as a character is totally the wrong choice for a digital edition.
I wonder if this would be the case if Douglas Adams were still with us today?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
If Adams were still alive, I am sure that there would be an ebook. Dude was a serious techie, and was known for it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
dougbiss
Enthusiast
dougbiss doesn't litterdougbiss doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
If Adams were still alive, I am sure that there would be an ebook. Dude was a serious techie, and was known for it.
Makes me want to make a "Don't Panic" screen-saver for my Kindle.

I'm sure he'd be turning over in his grave, if he weren't such a firm disbeliever in the afterlife.
dougbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Perhaps I'm wrong, but last I checked the publishers can't dictate the price of books to the retailer. If the retailer wants to lose money on a title, the publisher can't do anything about it as long as the retailer pays the wholesale price. So the list price will be $35, but the retailers may charge $10 or $15 or so for it.

E.g. The Lost Symbol ebook has an official list price of $30; Amazon, Sony and B&N all sell it for $10.

Sounds like business as usual, with an article whose author has never paid attention to those prices on the webpage with the strikethrough.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Mr. King's hardback will be available as an ebook within days of it's release or sooner. You'll just have to look for it in dark places.

$35 for an ebook is absolutely ridiculous especially since it's a lease not a purchase.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddumbguy View Post
Lots of people won't share your uncertaincy. Did someone say "Darknet"?

(Not me, I don't read King anyway)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
bbqncigars
PDA dino
bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, Rooted NC, Voyages(2)
Thank gawd for Baen. They do it like it should be done. Ebooks cheaper and earlier than dead tree versions. The Advance Reader Copies are even earlier, though the final version may differ a bit.
bbqncigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
It's not going to be $35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen King
Kindle pricing for Under the Dome
Posted on: October 22nd, 2009 11:55:00 am

Dear Constant Readers,

Please don't believe the press reports that the e-book reader price for Under the Dome will be $35. This was the result of confusion from a press release from the publisher, what Big Jim Rennie would call a clustermug. It is true that you cannot order the book as an e-download until December 24th, but the physical book, which is a beautiful thing, you can pre-order for less than $9--so who's better than us?

Steve
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I would personally prefer the option of paying the same price for the ebook as the hardcover provided that (a) they are released at the same time, and (b) the price of the ebook drops to where it originally going to be had the ebook been delayed 1 month from release. Kind of a premium paid by the buyer for having it at date of release.

Then again in my ideal world the hardcover and ebook would be released together on the release date and each priced accordingly.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
It's not going to be $35
I would have to reply....

Dear Mr. King. Do you really believe stalling the release of the ebook version will increase paper book sales that much?

Many of us who want your book want it in ebook form OR paper version....not necessarily both.

You do realize it will be out there in darknet form almost immediately after publication? That many, in protest will get it there? Or wait for the library copy?

Sincerely......just another ebook fan........

but thats just me.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote