Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Preorder PRS-300 and PRS-600 from SonyStyle.com

PRS-600 (aka "Reader Touch Edition™"), available in Silver, Red and Black for $299.99.

PRS-300 (aka "Reader Pocket Edition™"), available in Rose, Navy Blue and Silver for $199.99.

Promised to be "available on or about 08/31/2009".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Manuals are up!

PRS-300, PRS-600.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Another hint it will be available in the Netherlands, Germany and most likely France as well:

Quote:
Sets the language of the displayed menu
or messages.
Available languages: “English,”
“Français,” “Deutsch,” “Nederlands”
But I can't find anything about using buttons to go to the next page...

(oh wait, there are some buttons on the front of the device...)

Last edited by Sweetpea; 08-12-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard

Not sure where to post this but oh well...
From the manuals:
(settings)
Quote:
"Date and Time Format": Sets the display format of date and time.
"Date": "Month-Day-Year", "Day-Month-Year"
"Time": "12-hour", "24-hour"
"Menu Language": Sets the language of the displayed menu or messages.
Available language: "English", "Français", "Deutsch", "Nederlands".
(PRS-600 dictionaries)
Quote:
Only English dictionaries (“New Oxford American Dictionary” and “Oxford Dictionary of English”) are available.
If you set “English” for “Menu Language” at the initial setting, the dictionary used is automatically selected from “New Oxford American Dictionary” or “Oxford Dictionary of English” according to the type of English keyboard you selected. However, you can change it in the “Advanced Settings” menu at any time.
If you set a language other than “English” for “Menu Language” at the initial setting, the dictionary function becomes disabled. To enable a dictionary, set either “New Oxford American Dictionary” or “Oxford Dictionary of English” in the “Dictionary” setting.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard

Other tidbits:
1) eBook Library software installs from the Reader's internal storage, so you don't need to look for the CD or download it manually. They say that Internet connection is required, so it's probably downloaded from Sony's site automatically.
2) Authorization for Adobe ID is done from inside eBook Library, no need for Digital Editions.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Not sure where to post this but oh well...
From the manuals:
(settings)

(PRS-600 dictionaries)

A proper date format , a 24 hour clock, and options of both British and American English dictionaries. Sounds great
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I wanna see the accessories
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
just skimmed through the manual and looks like its just what i need and wanted.

now if only I could decide on the color I could go ahead and pre-order.. silver or black... this is driving me nuts...
!!HELP!!
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I wanna see the accessories
Me too! Which is why I was reading the manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
just skimmed through the manual and looks like its just what i need and wanted.

now if only I could decide on the color I could go ahead and pre-order.. silver or black... this is driving me nuts...
!!HELP!!
Red!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Other tidbits:
1) eBook Library software installs from the Reader's internal storage, so you don't need to look for the CD or download it manually. They say that Internet connection is required, so it's probably downloaded from Sony's site automatically.
I think it's more likely that it's actually there as an "autoplay" file on the drive that mounts on the PC. The iRex DR1000 does the same thing, and it works very well. I'd guess that the "internet connection required" bit refers to the actual use of the software. Of course, that's just speculation .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Great. I will be ordering two... I just need to see that initial hands-on review...

and since they do not seem to have the blue anymore, mine will have to be black.... silver looks good as well...

Last edited by wachuko; 08-12-2009 at 09:54 AM.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Me too! Which is why I was reading the manual

Red!
noooo!! it has to be either silver or black....wife says silver, I say black..i like silver too but just worried about light reflecting with night light...

but the biggest problem is my indecisiveness!!!
!!HELP!!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think it's more likely that it's actually there as an "autoplay" file on the drive that mounts on the PC. The iRex DR1000 does the same thing, and it works very well. I'd guess that the "internet connection required" bit refers to the actual use of the software. Of course, that's just speculation .
The autoplay most likely launches an installer that downloads the latest software, this makes it easy for SONY to keep the customer install base up to date. Other software companies have done similar things.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
lev
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Great. I will be ordering two... I just need to see that initial hands-on review...

and since they do not seem to have the blue anymore, mine will have to be black.... silver looks good as well...
great just when I thought someone else likes the black you mention the silver yeah they both look nice. hard choice... hmmmm
Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, no french dictionary option and choice of language from the settings means if my friend goes to new york i can ask him to buy me one there and probably save about 30%, since i imagine the only conversion they will do will be to change the currency (i.e. 300$ = 300€). i hope there will be french language dictionary support added somehow though, it seems really a glaring oversight to provide only english dictionaries but sell the device in non-anglophone countries...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote