Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #76
GoneNova
Enthusiast
GoneNova is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4,Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One, Libra2
Quote:
What update version of the software do you have?

What is the brand/size is your SD card?

Did you go through the 2-step update process completely?

How much free space do you have left on the SD card? (You mention that you may be dumping too many files onto the card, so do you have another SD card that you can play with, as members here try to find the solution to the problem.)
I updated to v 0.33c patch v13. I successfully completed both steps for the upgrade.I still have 1.7 GB free on a 2 GB card. I thought that the problem might be that I'm using a Kingston Micro SD card with an adaptor, but when I switched it out for a 1 GB pny card I use for backing up my books I got " No corresponding files found." (After the update I didn't transfer any books to the device itself- they're all on the card.) After pushing the reset button, it worked great, though it took awhile to get started- It has almost 1500 books on it. In case your curious that's 186 pages! Anyway, I'll just go back to using the other card and use the reset as needed. It's not a problem for me. I keep a paperclip on the case.
GoneNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #77
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNova View Post
I updated to v 0.33c patch v13. I successfully completed both steps for the upgrade.I still have 1.7 GB free on a 2 GB card. I thought that the problem might be that I'm using a Kingston Micro SD card with an adaptor, but when I switched it out for a 1 GB pny card I use for backing up my books I got " No corresponding files found." (After the update I didn't transfer any books to the device itself- they're all on the card.) After pushing the reset button, it worked great, though it took awhile to get started- It has almost 1500 books on it. In case your curious that's 186 pages! Anyway, I'll just go back to using the other card and use the reset as needed. It's not a problem for me. I keep a paperclip on the case.
Even on a Sony 505 (which I also own), putting more than approx. 300 books on the device slows it down - even more so if the books are on an SD card. (You mention 186 pages - do you mean 186 screens of folders/files to go through?)

My educated guess (and personal experience) is that these reading devices just aren't ready to handle such a large library due to file structure limitations.

If the problem disappears (read: improves) by lowering the book count, then I would say that's the problem on the slow loading.

If that is, indeed, the problem then you might want to get creative with a set of SD cards and rearrange your books on them according to divisions of the alphabet, or genre type

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-12-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #78
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I think he means 186 pages on the main screen? I would suggest organizing the books by folder and sub-folder (and maybe sub-sub-folder even)
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #79
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
I use a 8GB SD Card for my jetBook since firmware v033c with no problem at all. I have something like 1,200 books now, all classified into folders and subfolders and it works faultlessly. All folders can be opened instantaneously when I access them. It takes about 3 seconds to update the whole card's contents after I disconnect my jetBook from my PC, or when I reinsert the SD card. I have a Sony PRS505 and it's a nightmare when I have more than 200 books, worse if I try to put them on the SD card. It takes forever to update its contents, and sometimes it just freezes when there are a lot of books. That, for me, is one essential factor why I prefer now my jetBook. I can literally put a whole library in it and access my books without any delay or problem.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #80
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sein View Post
I use a 8GB SD Card for my jetBook since firmware v033c with no problem at all. I have something like 1,200 books now, all classified into folders and subfolders and it works faultlessly. All folders can be opened instantaneously when I access them. It takes about 3 seconds to update the whole card's contents after I disconnect my jetBook from my PC, or when I reinsert the SD card. I have a Sony PRS505 and it's a nightmare when I have more than 200 books, worse if I try to put them on the SD card. It takes forever to update its contents, and sometimes it just freezes when there are a lot of books. That, for me, is one essential factor why I prefer now my jetBook. I can literally put a whole library in it and access my books without any delay or problem.
That's good news, indeed! Thanks for the update on this.

I would love to have hundreds of books readily available and, as with your experience, that just isn't possible on the Sony 505. (I truly love the Sony, but it's not practical to put such a large library on it - unless one is a masochist.)

Tonight, I'm going to load the 250-odd books from Fictionwise onto my jetBook.

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #81
GoneNova
Enthusiast
GoneNova is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4,Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One, Libra2
I only used my backup card to see if I still had to reset if I used a different card. With no folders it would take me forever to find anything on that one, and have no desire to use it for the device. And yes, it was 186 screens of files. On the card I'm using for the Jetbook I am using folders for genres, and series. I still have 1.7 GB unused storage on a 2 GB card, and I intend to delete books as I read them. I have no desire to keep all my books on it.
GoneNova is offline   Reply With Quote