Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

A few Kindle books with large right margins on HD only

Any one else notice that a few books purchased from Amazon have very wide right margins, but the right margins look normal on other Kindles and Kindle apps? I first noticed this with a single book, so I assumed it was probably just some stupid CSS formatting even though the right margins were wide only when the book was viewed on the HD. Then last night I downloaded a sample book that has the same issue. That is only two books out of dozens that I've looked at since getting my HD a few weeks ago, but that is two too many. Since the HD uses a *.prc file name I cannot immediately tell if they are mobi7 or KF8. I haven't had time to dig further into this, but it is frustrating to see a double-wide right margin on a device that already has a narrow screen due to the 16 x 9 ratio.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I have now confirmed that the two books which display on the Fire HD with very wide right margins are KF8 books. My DLed purchased mobi7 books seem to render the right margin correctly. so this issue seems to be another case of Amazon screwing up the rendering of KF8 books on certain devices. On the Kindle Touch, KF8 books render with a large line spacing. On the Fire HD they render with a large right margin.

Has anyone noticed this on the original Fire? Here is link to the sample book on Amazon.com which is KF8 and renders a wide right margin if you want to test it:

The Story of Britain: From the Romans to the Present: A Narrative History [Kindle Edition]
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I also just noticed that both of these books are published by W. W. Norton & Company. They both have what appears to be the same or very similar CSS style sheet, which is way over formatted for an eBook. Although I see no obvious margin-right properties that would cause the issue.

I looked at the OPF hoping to see which application they used to create the KF8 books, but it only shows calibre. I wonder if this is because I used calibre to explode the book?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I had to adjust one of my books after that it was fine.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I had to adjust one of my books after that it was fine.
Do you know if it was a KF8 book or a mobi7?

If you were able to correct the CSS and get it to stop displaying the large right margin then it was a badly formatted book. That too often happens when eBook authors/publishers don't understand the eBook concept and create the books similar to how they would a print book.

I think my issue is from a different cause.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
No I dont. Sounds like you need to contact Amazon.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I finally found the time to look at the CSS and HTML files. The publisher used a margin-right: 8% property for a class applied to some DIV tags. Not sure what the idiots were thinking, but that was really stupid.