Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Homer's Odyssey

I'm a compulsive reader of contemporary fiction, who has generally struggled with "The Classics". It's a question of style, rathat than content or comprehension - I just find most classical translations are a slog, rather than a pleasure to read. That said, I recently completed (and mostly enjoyed) Samuel Butler's translation of The Iliad. Next step, The Odyssey!

However, I have recently been totally blown away by Madeline Miller's The Song of Achilles, and that set me wondering whether there might be a translation out there that's suited to my reading tastes.

I know this is an easy question to ask and almost impossible to answer blind, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for a translation that a reader of contemporary fiction (both genre and literary) is likely to find amenable. I guess I'm looking for a version in a modern prose style, but that's about as far as I've got. All suggestions gratefully received!

TIA,
Ian
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I am sure Harry T. will chime in as he is one of the resident experts on Greek Classics at MR.... I would Recommend T.E. Lawrence's translation:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Odyssey-Ho.../dp/0195068181

It's excellent and it may help one who prefers to read contemporary novels instead of the classics. I read this version on my second reading of the Odyssey and enjoyed it quite a lot. One tip, if it bogs you down read it in tandem with another book ans slowly slog through it. I did this with War and Peace and other classics that I had to struggle with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
I'm a compulsive reader of contemporary fiction, who has generally struggled with "The Classics". It's a question of style, rathat than content or comprehension - I just find most classical translations are a slog, rather than a pleasure to read. That said, I recently completed (and mostly enjoyed) Samuel Butler's translation of The Iliad. Next step, The Odyssey!

However, I have recently been totally blown away by Madeline Miller's The Song of Achilles, and that set me wondering whether there might be a translation out there that's suited to my reading tastes.

I know this is an easy question to ask and almost impossible to answer blind, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for a translation that a reader of contemporary fiction (both genre and literary) is likely to find amenable. I guess I'm looking for a version in a modern prose style, but that's about as far as I've got. All suggestions gratefully received!

TIA,
Ian
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Try and compare several different translations - for a very modest price:

http://delphiclassics.com/shop/?p=722

Epub here: http://delphiclassics.com/shop/?p=2625
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
You might be interested in this thread, which has some discussion of translations:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175779
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
And of course there's a modern adaptation - Spin the Sky by Katy Stauber.

Quote:
Fifteen years after winning the Spacer War, Cesar Vaquero has returned to Ithaca, a rugged orbital colony that boasts the only herd of cattle in space, and a wife and a son who don't even recognize him when he shows up at their doorstep. Posing as a homeless drifter, he soon discovers that making his way home past space pirates, one-eyed giants, and mad scientists was the easy part . . . .

Penelope swore off men after her husband disappeared. She's been busy enough running the ranch, raising her son, and fending off pushy suitors eager to get their hands on her and her herd. But something about this war-weary drifter stirs forgotten feelings in her, even as sabotage, rustlers, and a space stampede threaten to tear Ithaca apart!

Spin the Sky is an rollicking, high-spirited riff on a certain classic odyssey--featuring characters as big and full of surprises as Space itself!
Sorry... I couldn't help myself
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all your contributions - one thing I love about this site is people's generosity in sharing their experiences.

hidari - the Lawrence translation certainly sounds appealing. I found Seven Pillars of Wisdom surprisingly readable, if that's anything to go by.

poohbear - thanks for the link. At that price, the epub version will be making its way to my reader for evaluation!

jgaiser - hmm, interesting, but I think I'll leave it until I'm more familiar with the original. Having said that, as a fan of science fiction I'm sure I've read several books that were dervied from The Odyssey in some way!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Margaret Atwood wrote "The Penelopiad" as part of Knopf's Myths Series. It tells of Odysseus' homecoming from Penelope's point of view. It's short and written with a light touch; something to augment the other story, rather than replace it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My personal favourite translation is Richard Lattimore's, which is available as an ebook. Robert Fagles' translation is also good, and is also available as an ebook (it's the Penguin Classics one).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
mediax
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Margaret Atwood wrote "The Penelopiad" as part of Knopf's Myths Series. It tells of Odysseus' homecoming from Penelope's point of view. It's short and written with a light touch; something to augment the other story, rather than replace it.
Thanks for that suggestion - I've added it to my list, but think I'll leave it until after the main event.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
mediax
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My personal favourite translation is Richard Lattimore's, which is available as an ebook. Robert Fagles' translation is also good, and is also available as an ebook (it's the Penguin Classics one).
Thanks Harry, I'll be sure to have a look at both.