Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Why do People Write Such Bad Reviews?

http://www.claudebouchardbooks.com/a...ch-bad-reviews

Sounds more like a lot of people are in denial to me. Assuming your book is any good, bad reviews are more a sign of attracting someone from outside your intended market than anything else.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Who was it whose law of the internet says that if you give an average person anonymnity, an audience, and the chance to destroy something beautiful; you get an internet troll?

I think that's what the blog is trying to point out, that people will troll just because they can.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know what you mean, but I'd be surprised if those type of reviews amount to more than a tiny fraction. I don't know about anywhere else, but on Amazon you need to have actually bought something before you can post a review (though not necessarily the item you are reviewing). That would stop people creating lots of throwaway accounts.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
JonathanH
Enthusiast
JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Who was it whose law of the internet says that if you give an average person anonymnity, an audience, and the chance to destroy something beautiful; you get an internet troll?

I think that's what the blog is trying to point out, that people will troll just because they can.
That sounds like John Gabriel's "Greater Internet F**kwad Theory", from Penny Arcade (warning for the faint of heart: comic has swearing)

Also referenced from the Wikipedia article on "online disinhibition effect".
JonathanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Perhaps people write such bad reviews because they've read such bad books.

In any case, I link you all to "Bad Review Bingo", which you can play along with that blogpost*.

* Also, from a reader perspective, seeing authors publicly express such disdain and contempt for people who presumably took time out of their lives to actually read said author's work, if not actually pay for it, even if they ended up seriously not liking it and said so on the internet, is kind of fun, but also ultimately a turn-off.

But hey, it saves me time and money by helpfully pointing out whom I never need read nor buy from.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
http://www.claudebouchardbooks.com/a...ch-bad-reviews

Sounds more like a lot of people are in denial to me. Assuming your book is any good, bad reviews are more a sign of attracting someone from outside your intended market than anything else.
When I read a review written by someone who is obviously not the target audience of the book it only reinforces my own interest in the book (assuming I am the intended audience). Swearing, sex, and violence often get one star reviews complaining about those characteristics, which might be exactly what I'm looking for in a gritty thriller.

As to the blog you linked, the kind of reviews I'm referring to above aren't written by basement dwelling trolls, but spinster Sunday school teachers. I'm kidding about the stereotypes, but there are many different tastes and a bad review is only one person's opinion. The real killer for me is an author who tells me how many cats they own, I'm clicking that back button faster than you can microwave a kitten.

Last edited by Synamon; 04-30-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Disclaimer: No kittens were harmed in the creation of this post.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The real killer for me is an author who tells me how many cats they own, I'm clicking that back button faster than you can microwave a kitten.
I don't have any cats, but I did have a tortoise when I was young. It ran away.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Actually that blog sounded more like someone filling in a bit of slow time by writing some nonsense. No one was supposed to take it seriously were they?

If there was a moral to the blog, I read it as: It's easy to be unfairly critical - see how easy it is? - so that's why people often are.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
As did mine! Well, I'm not sure it actually "ran."

As did my horned lizards and my rats (they probably DID run).

I'm stuck on cats right now, but won't go into any more details .... I seriously doubt it is that interesting to MF members. Why should it be?
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The real killer for me is an author who tells me how many cats they own, I'm clicking that back button faster than you can microwave a kitten.
LOL, so very true. Why authors think the majority readers care that their cat sat on their lap the entire time they wrote there book, I'll never understand. Or that they live out in the country with four dogs, six cats, two horses, seven rabbits, a goat and a ferret.

Why do people write such bad reviews? Because despite what the authors and their nearest and dearest think, sometimes their work is a piece of crap.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Excellent story. The author didn't go overboard with mind-numbing detail and I especially liked the cliffhanger ending.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #12
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Why do people write such bad books?

That said, the blog post was funny...and better written than 1/2 the SelfPub books I've tried so far.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
As did mine! Well, I'm not sure it actually "ran."

They can run when they want to, they're just lazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znEbZGfBgxQ
Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
So, that blog post was basically an ad hominem attack on the trolling community. Way to capture the moral high ground.

I've written troll reviews. Mainly for martial arts instruction guides, because they're primarily bought by and aimed at people who never go into a dojo or gym.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
There are a lot of bad reviews, but I think people get too worried about them. When a potential buyer looks at 1-star reviews and sees things like "It had words I didn't understand" (this really isn't all that uncommon), they roll their eyes and ignore the review.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote