Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-23-2023, 05:57 PM   #1801
Whallup
Whallup began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I don't think a plugin can practically do what you want. It would need to intercept the internal calibre open format code.

I do see at least two ways to get most of the way there.
  • In both cases, do the search you want then use right click in the search bar to get a copy of a calibre search URL for the current search.
  • Use the Action Chains plugin (my preference because no column needs to show in book details)
    • Create a custom column "Long test, like comments, not shown in the tag browser". Set "Interpret this column" as plain text. Name the column "Search" or somesuch. For each of your special books, put the appropriate search link in this field as is with no HTML.
    • Create a chain to do the search. Give the chain a keyboard shortcut to make it easy to execute. The chain command is "Open with", with the calibre program as the handler (calibre.exe). Use a template to grab the search URL from the column you made.
  • Use Book Details
    • Create a Create a custom column "Long test, like comments, not shown in the tag browser". Set "Interpret this column" as HTML. Name the column "Search" or some such. For each of your special books, put the appropriate search link in this field. Use the Comments editor to enter the link with whatever text you want.
    • In book details, click this link to do the search. You can place the link wherever you want in book details.

And of course you could the normal mechanisms. Put the tag/author/whatever on your special book. Clicking on that book opens book details where you can click on the item you applied to the book. This works well if the searches are simple.
Thank you, both methods work well - however still a little clunky (though there is no more error popup)

Ideally it would be nice to double click a "book" genre as it is intuitive for users - but this has been a big help. Thank you very much!
Whallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:58 AM   #1802
jbaumann
Zealot
jbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with others

Device: Multiple Kobos, multiple Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Configure (and use )
Preferences: Save to disk

The save (floppy) icon is on the toobar

While that works for saving to any EXTERNAL of the Library, you may not reap the other benefits of Calibres on the fly transfer.

BTW this has been there forever
Thanks a lot for this, this is actually a very workable solution. Not perfect (that would have been to copy a second format alongside the first), but since I don't copy books every day, this is absolutely ok.

And I have absolutely no idea why I never realized that this functionality exists (I've been using calibre for ages). I had removed the "Save to Disk" icon from the toolbar at some time (without even remembering i.e., very, very long ago), probably in an effort to declutter everything.

Thanks again for the pointer.

Cheers, Joachim
jbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2023, 04:49 AM   #1803
jbaumann
Zealot
jbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with others

Next question :-)

Is there a way to save the Calibre Metadata together with "Save to Disk"? KOReader offers to search calibre metadata and I would love to use that.

Cheers, Joachim
Old 12-31-2023, 06:27 AM   #1804
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Yes. You have to tick embed metadata in the preferences.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 07:21 AM   #1805
jbaumann
Zealot

I will do that.

I just found another way, possibly. „Send to Device“ has a submenu that allows to choose a specific format. I‘m currently using this to send epub in addition to azw3 and hope that it does what I want…

Cheers, Joachim
Advert
Old 12-31-2023, 12:21 PM   #1806
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaumann View Post
I will do that.

I just found another way, possibly. „Send to Device“ has a submenu that allows to choose a specific format. I‘m currently using this to send epub in addition to azw3 and hope that it does what I want…

Cheers, Joachim
Send menu is just a choice Priority. Highest with tick gets sent.
You can reorder the choices. No need to move unticked.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:51 AM   #1807
jbaumann
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Yes. You have to tick embed metadata in the preferences.
Just looked for it in the preferences. I find "Save metadata in separate OPF file" under "Saving Books to Disk", which is ticked. Is that what you meant or do I have to look somewhere else?

Cheers, Joachim
Old 01-03-2024, 12:40 PM   #1808
madelonw
Enthusiast
madelonw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle with Special Offers, iPad 2
Any Chance for a Plugin to Change Case?

I would love it if someone would come up with a plugin that would allow changing from all caps to title case or vice versa. I have a text editor (Boxer Text Editor) that does this quite nicely but copying back and forth is a pain... retyping a bunch of titles is also a pain.: thanks:
madelonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:50 PM   #1809
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelonw View Post
I would love it if someone would come up with a plugin that would allow changing from all caps to title case or vice versa. I have a text editor (Boxer Text Editor) that does this quite nicely but copying back and forth is a pain... retyping a bunch of titles is also a pain.: thanks:
It is BUILT IN to Calibre.

Right click (context menu) on any editable field... Or in the Tag Browser.

In addition the Metadata Editor (bulk mode) has case options in bulk
Also, The Quality check Plugin has FIX: Authors... (you configure your preference)

Will any of these work for you?
Old 01-03-2024, 02:14 PM   #1810
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use a tool called AnyCase, it's not free but the fact that I can use it everywhere makes it worthwhile for me.

<rant>Ideally tools such as this would be provided by the OS, but the OS vendors prefer to waste their own, and our, time and effort on cosmetics like centred taskbars.<tnar>

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:39 AM   #1811
madelonw
Enthusiast

I've been using Calibre for quite a while and never noticed that option in the bulk mode of Metadata Editor. And, for some reason, it takes me a while to think of doing the right click thing. Thanks for holding my hand. I've tried both and both are just what I needed.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:47 AM   #1812
madelonw
Enthusiast

OMG! I just downloaded the Quality Check plugin. Can't thank you enough for pointing me in its direction. Thanks again! It will save me gobs of work.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:28 AM   #1813
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I've been using Calibre for quite a while and never noticed that option in the bulk mode of Metadata Editor. And, for some reason, it takes me a while to think of doing the right click thing. Thanks for holding my hand. I've tried both and both are just what I needed.
Not just for Calibre, you are missing out on a lot of nifty features, by not using context-menus (right click or the button near the Right Ctrl many full size keyboards) .
A News Years Resolution: ?? More Content Menu Usage
Old 01-15-2024, 05:01 AM   #1814
gtrus21
gtrus21 began at the beginning.

We need a plugin for archiving books. For example, I “launch” a book, it unpacks and opens like a regular one. I close it and it is automatically archived back. fb2 and epub compress very well, but you can allow other file types to be compressed (customizable list)
gtrus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:36 AM   #1815
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrus21 View Post
We need a plugin for archiving books. For example, I “launch” a book, it unpacks and opens like a regular one. I close it and it is automatically archived back. fb2 and epub compress very well, but you can allow other file types to be compressed (customizable list)
Why? Storage is cheap. Most formats are already compressed. You're not likely to save much by compressing again anyway.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, chatbot, cover, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, kindle, metadata calibre title, missing, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development, scribe