Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-07-2016, 06:15 AM   #46
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Nevertheless, I still feel expandable memory is something no one needs, ever (except in special circumstances like manga)
To be fair, having a Astak EZReader might be one of those special circumstances. It only has 512 MB on-board, and I don't know how much of that is available for books. We're accustomed to 4GB ereaders, but the OP might not be.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:40 AM   #47
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It is interesting to look at the other threads smallhagrid has participated in and the suggestions given to him then.
Wow... just wow...

Well, I am officially over this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
To be fair, having a Astak EZReader might be one of those special circumstances. It only has 512 MB on-board, and I don't know how much of that is available for books. We're accustomed to 4GB ereaders, but the OP might not be.
Right, so in that case the OP should be willing to actually listen to suggestions.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2016, 08:28 AM   #48
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Smallhagrid:
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
You learn something new every day
http://www.apple.com/macbook/

Shari
It also doesn't have a microSD or SD card slot. So you would still need to buy a card reader or a USB C to USB adapter in either case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I was looking at Readers back when Borders was still around and had different brands, I was able to put some books I wanted to see on an SD card and bring it with me to view. Can't really do that so easily these days.
Advert
Old 05-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #51
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When I was looking at Readers back when Borders was still around and had different brands, I was able to put some books I wanted to see on an SD card and bring it with me to view. Can't really do that so easily these days.
Another good use, although limited.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #52
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
And then there are illustrated nonfiction books, such as Jane's guides with all the wire drawings of armored fighting vehicle. Lots of storage needed compared to just text. On par with Manga.

There are people who use Audio enabled ereaders to control audio at outdoor venues because unlike a phone or MP3 player they can see the screen and read the playlists.

Pretty soon you add up all the individual niche uses and it turns out that use for MicroSD isn't very rare after all.

Last edited by Phogg; 05-09-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #53
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Exclamation Amazing.

I have made no attempts at hiding my desires and preferances.
Some folks just happen to know EXACTLY what they seek.
I happen to be one such, and do try to ask properly for help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It is interesting to look at the other threads smallhagrid has participated in and the suggestions given to him then.
I do not ask to be beat up verbally in response to such requests.

It always amazes me that places like this can be wonderfully populated by folks who enjoy helping others - and also by folks who prefer to be nasty and/or argumentative.

My response to such difficult folks:
Let them eat cake.

Peace Out.
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Another good use, although limited.
The demos you get on Readers really isn't good enough to tell if you want the one you are viewing or not. So having the card slot allowed me to see what I wanted/didn't want.

I do really like the idea of a card slot for when you are sharing the Reader and you want to swap out the content.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

In terms of hardware, the Reader most like the EZReader was the Sony Reader PRS-505.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #56
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have a EZReader pocket pro (V5 Hanlin). The only reason I am still able to use this IS the SD Card. The USB connector came OFF the board. I managed to solder the Power pins (I can still charge it), but those itty-bitty surface mount leads
Replacement batteries (new stock) availability (the V3 used Nokia batteries. The V5 uses custom leads)

Some device just fit the user better than others. Touch is a fail with me.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 AM   #57
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have a EZReader pocket pro (V5 Hanlin). The only reason I am still able to use this IS the SD Card. The USB connector came OFF the board. I managed to solder the Power pins (I can still charge it), but those itty-bitty surface mount leads
Replacement batteries (new stock) availability (the V3 used Nokia batteries. The V5 uses custom leads)

Some device just fit the user better than others. Touch is a fail with me.
The battery was the only drawback of the V5... Mine should be replaced, it's getting flat quickly, without even using it...

The one thing I have on my V5 that no other reader has, and what I'd have loved on all of them, is the ability to use subfolders (or subcollections, if it doesn't support folders). I never understood why nobody ever implements that...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #58
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The battery was the only drawback of the V5... Mine should be replaced, it's getting flat quickly, without even using it...

The one thing I have on my V5 that no other reader has, and what I'd have loved on all of them, is the ability to use subfolders (or subcollections, if it doesn't support folders). I never understood why nobody ever implements that...
If they made the unit again (perhaps with a Carta screen and without even a modern faster processor) I would gladly pay the original price to get one.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #59
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:

I use subfolders on my Pocketbook Touch Lux (can't remember if it's a 2 or 3).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:33 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Lots of readers support folders. Bookeen, Onyx, Pocketbook, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezreader