Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #16
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I don't use this Find/Replace throughout the entire book (unless this particular book has some odd ALL CAPS floating around it that need to be checked/fixed).
I'll experiment with your F&R some more. I really would prefer to actually change the text instead of relying on how a reader will interpet CSS. Luckily my brother and I both have Kindles, so I don't have to worry about device dependent things like the pros here.

It seems that most PD books use all caps for chapter titles, or at least the ones we download seem to be that way

Thanks
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #17
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
nice try but text-transform is ignored by ADE & ADE based readers, like my Sony ones.

for your PD books , a global change of CHAPTER to Chapter is a safe bet - unliikely to affect the story text, and its a simple regex that you could add , say, to calibre extra CSS, so that it's applied whenever you do an epub to epub conversion in calibre. ( I like to do that convert step with any book I wish to tweak anyway, because it creates a start-point backup for me). the other code I add via that convert is body: font-family: times; as for me that greatly improves sigil book view, but has no effect on how the book looks on the actual reader.

Last edited by cybmole; 02-06-2014 at 02:05 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
nice try but text-transform is ignored by ADE & ADE based readers, like my Sony ones.
Not only that, but text-transform, unlike font-variant, is not even in the required CSS subset of ePub 2.0.1. This means that readers can simply ignore it and still call themselves ePub-compliant. Not that it matters in practice, though.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not only that, but text-transform, unlike font-variant, is not even in the required CSS subset of ePub 2.0.1. This means that readers can simply ignore it and still call themselves ePub-compliant. Not that it matters in practice, though.
Text-transform is ignored pretty much everywhere. We never use it, and we get extremely frustrated when we get books in for formatting that have used it (unknown to us). We had an entire book go wonky, with about a zillion acronyms, some in "smallcaps" that were created via "transform" in Word. The fun part? Half the times the acronyms were used, they were smallcap. The other half? Not in smallcaps, in regular cap-case. The client had a "friend" who was a web-guy who told him that it would be EASY to just "search and replace" all the instances in which we hadn't used the smallcaps, and that we were either ignorant or hosing him. I was actually outraged; I mean, did he think we were so stupid we didn't know how to do search and replace?

I tried to explain that it would have to be done by eyeball, as he had used smallcaps X times and regular titlecase all caps Y times, but he thought I was BS'ing him. I refunded a chunk of his dough and sent him off to have his new web-buddy do the digital and print books. Rather humorously, I see that his final books have NO smallcaps in them. I guess the incensed irate buddy who thought we were "hosing him" discovered to his woe that eyeballing thousands of acronyms to determine which is small-caps versus all-caps wasn't as much fun as he thought.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #20
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nuts -- back to the RegEx drawing board

I had not even gotten to the point of actually loading a book to the Kindle to see what it looked like

I was SO happy to see that Sigil liked it I shut down to go shovel snow
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #21
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Text-transform is ignored pretty much everywhere.
Kindles (K3 and higher) and iPads support it...
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Kindles (K3 and higher) and iPads support it...
Doits:

I forget that some of you can suit yourselves. ;-) I tend to look across the range of devices, including Nooks (which are 8-11% of the buying market) and Kobo. My clientele, for whatever reason, has exceedingly few sales on iBooks, even our superstars, so I tend not to give it much weight in my decision-making. Vis-a-vis the Kindles, we only use those things that we know won't abruptly stop working. And don't get me started on K4iOS, and whether it does/doesn't support it. (Pick NO for column 1, YES for Column 2). I only use those things for which I think we can create some approximate fall-back.

It's like first-line. It would be lovely if it worked, but it's unsupported on ADE. Which means, unsupported on the majority of retail ePUB-readers.

Just a different view.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote