Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Nigelinspain
Nigelinspain began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
TOC wont show up

Hi,

I have always been able to get the TOC to show up in the Kindle Previewer button next to the cover button. But now I don´t seem to be able to make this happen.

I have been using the html code <a name=“toc”></a><h2 id="toc">Table of Contents</h2> and this has always worked for me before - but now it doesn´t.

Obviously the toc in the book itself still works but there is no way of getting back to it by clicking the TOC button.

Any idea why this no longer works and what code I should use to make it work again.

Thanks
Nigel
Nigelinspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelinspain View Post
Obviously the toc in the book itself still works but there is no way of getting back to it by clicking the TOC button.
Right-click the HTML TOC and select Add Semantics > Table of Contents.
While you're at it, also add Text to the beginning of the book and Cover to the cover page and/or the cover image.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Nigelinspain

Hi Doitsu,

Thanks for that advice, although I have to say I am a little bit confused. I have done the html in Notepad++ and if I go the where the table of contents is in the html and right click it there does not appear to be anything that allows me to Add Add Semantics > Table of Contents.

Am I looking in the wrong place here?

Could you give me some more advice please.

Thanks
Nigel
Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Most book designers use a separate file for the HTML TOC and add the proper semantics to it. However, if the whole book is stored n one file, you'll need to add an id to to first element of the TOC or the element immediately before it (e.g id="toc") and manually add the value of the id to the guide section in the .opf file. For example:

Code:
<guide>
   <reference href="Text/book.xhtml#toc" title="Table Of Contents" type="toc" />
</guide>
Since this might be a bit too complicated for you, it's probably easier to simply separate the TOC from the rest of your book by inserting Sigil split markers immediately before and after the TOC by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. Then select Split at Markers from the Edit menu and add semantics to the new TOC.

(Make a backup copy first, before you attempt the above steps.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
Nigelinspain

Hi Doitsu,

Thanks for your prompt reply, really appreciated.

In actual fact once I have formatted the html I import it into Sigil to make an epub file which I then get Amazon to convert into a mobi file. A bit long winded I know but that way I get a mobi and epub file to use.

Anyway I will go the my epub file in Sigil and carry out your instructions and see if that does the trick.

Many thanks for your help.
Nigel
Advert