Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
starshipsir
starshipsir began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Won't turn on

Ive tried everything, ive had my Kobo for over 1 year and a half and it's never done this. Ive tried charging it and turning it on I've tried resetting it and the light will come on but it stays in powered off mode. It won't connect to my computer also. Help?
starshipsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Lol... same is happening to me right now!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by starshipsir View Post
Ive tried everything, ive had my Kobo for over 1 year and a half and it's never done this. Ive tried charging it and turning it on I've tried resetting it and the light will come on but it stays in powered off mode. It won't connect to my computer also. Help?
Since no one else seems to have jumped in, time to play the fool.

Have you tried a factory reset? The procedure varies depending on the model. For all touch screen Kobos, hold the power button in the off position for 15-20 seconds. Release the power switch. Press and hold the Home or Light button (whichever your Kobo has), slide and release the power power. You should see the power LED next to it start blinking. Release the Home/Light button and hope....

If the power button doesn't seem to be working, you can try holding the Home/Light button and doing a paper clip reset releasing the button after the LED starts rapidly blinking.

Best I can do for now.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Is there something like this for the Mini too ? It has no home nor light button. I ended up opening it and pulling the sd card out, but that can't be the solution....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Disconnect the battery instead? Perhaps holding power switch for 15-20 seconds to be sure it's off and then resetting via the paperclip would be the normal procedure, though for most microcontrollers merely pressing the reset switch causes the processor to reset/boot. It's somewhat rare for a system to get into a state where the hardware reset switch won't do as well as power cycling by removing the battery, but it's possible with some hardware.

I've had my Glo lock up such that the power switch(soft power switch anyhow -doesn't actually control the power, just tells the processor what you want it to do) had no effect, and the reset switch was the only alternative short of cracking it open and disconnecting the battery. Usually when I hit the paperclip reset I give it a few seconds to be sure. You must be careful to hit the actual switch inside the case, it's easy to get off center with the paperclip. Look for the spring pressure when you're actually pressing on the button.

Last edited by TechniSol; 05-22-2013 at 01:24 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Is there something like this for the Mini too ? It has no home nor light button. I ended up opening it and pulling the sd card out, but that can't be the solution....
generally, it is by holding the power button for ten seconds. Sometimes it does not work immediately, i.e. you get no reaction at all - just let the Mini rest for a few minutes, and try again (or, open the back and press the reset button). You know something is happening when, after about 10 seconds, the led next to the power button goes blue then green.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I looked everywhere for this, but could not find it. The mini seems to be acting properly now, so keeping my fingers crossed !!!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh wow, my bad. I had no idea they didn't provide a hole to reach the reset switch on the mini. So much for consistency.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Oh wow, my bad. I had no idea they didn't provide a hole to reach the reset switch on the mini. So much for consistency.
There is a hole to reach the reset switch. The snap-on cover covers that hole in the back cover so you have to remove the snap-on cover to get at the reset pin hole with your trusty paper clip in hand.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There is a hole to reach the reset switch. The snap-on cover covers that hole in the back cover so you have to remove the snap-on cover to get at the reset pin hole with your trusty paper clip in hand.

Regards,
David
yes - the power button thing is to avoid the feeling of dread I have every time I take the snapback cover off (the fear it will snap in two!)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #11
TechniSol

Uh, oh, my bad again... However, I reserve the opinion that the whole extra snap on cover thing violates consistency! LOL
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Uh, oh, my bad again... However, I reserve the opinion that the whole extra snap on cover thing violates consistency! LOL
But the good point with the snapback is that all the legal stuff CE/FCC/... numbers are hidden under. The Mini looks very neat thanks to that
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
But the good point with the snapback is that all the legal stuff CE/FCC/... numbers are hidden under. The Mini looks very neat thanks to that
It really does, doesn't it ? It's a super cute reader !

When mine did not turn on (it happened only once until now), even a reset did not wake it up. But I remembered a trick we had to use a lot () on the Pocketboock IQ, which was to pull the internal SD out and switch the on/off button some times (they said 10 but I think that is greatly exaggerated) in order to completely empty the internal mem, then put the sd back in and the device would start normally. I used that trick with my mini and it did indeed start again normally. I don't recommend that as the normal start-aid measure, but if nothing else works, it might be worth a try.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
It really does, doesn't it ? It's a super cute reader !

When mine did not turn on (it happened only once until now), even a reset did not wake it up. But I remembered a trick we had to use a lot () on the Pocketboock IQ, which was to pull the internal SD out and switch the on/off button some times (they said 10 but I think that is greatly exaggerated) in order to completely empty the internal mem, then put the sd back in and the device would start normally. I used that trick with my mini and it did indeed start again normally. I don't recommend that as the normal start-aid measure, but if nothing else works, it might be worth a try.
Wow, about one week and it already froze Did you try something special (tweaks related) on it?
I hope it won't happen again
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Wow, about one week and it already froze Did you try something special (tweaks related) on it?
I hope it won't happen again