Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #511
trinity1
Enthusiast
trinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm on 3.5.0 (sideloaded) in my Glo. Noticed that sometimes when I turn it on, the light is on... Couldn't understand what is caused by
trinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #512
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1 View Post
I'm on 3.5.0 (sideloaded) in my Glo. Noticed that sometimes when I turn it on, the light is on... Couldn't understand what is caused by
If the light was on when you turned the Glo off, now it'll come on when you turn the Glo on. New feature.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #513
trinity1
Enthusiast
trinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

... Yep, noticed, but it did also three times when the light was off before turning off the glo
trinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #514
fuifui
fuifui began at the beginning.

Device: KoboGlo
PDFs

On my Glo, I can't get several PDFs to show correctly. They are just cropped on the right side and on the bottom, so the display won't show the whole text. (It is like a 3rd or 4th of the PDF that is missing).

Sometimes it is possible to change the screen using zoom and landscape multiple times, so that I can view the whole text, but that seldom works.

I can provide test PDFs (some that are affected and some that are not) if anyone likes them.

Had that bug before 3.3.0 already, reset the device twice. Hope for help.. :)
Oh. And I had some of those PDFs on a Kindle where they worked just perfectly.

Last edited by fuifui; 07-24-2014 at 06:11 PM.
fuifui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #515
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I started to read a Spanish book today, for the first time since November last, and was extremely surprised that when selecting a word, the dictionary called was the French, and I had to change it from the pop-up window to get the Spanish definition. At first, I thought it was a problem with the metadata or the epub, but the metadata was correct. I then tried other, already read, Spanish books and there was the same problem. This on the Aura HD and the Aura 6". I have no problems with French, English, German nor Italian.
Is there a known problem emerging between the version last November and my present 3.3.0? I've done a quick search through this thread, but didn't see anything.
Does anybody have an idea around the problem?
Edit 30 July 2014: Curiouser and curiouser. I've been fiddling with my dictionaries (adding the Princeton for English and Littré for French), and I had the idea to play with the language in the parameters: when I switch from French to Spanish, I get the appropriate dictionary called for Spanish AND French books - but when I switch back to French, I get the French dictionary again, for French AND Spanish books.
So I know what to do when I decide to read the book I tried to read last June (that would be firmware 3.3). I hadn't read Spanish since November 2013, so I don't know in which firmware the bug appeared, and have no idea what would cause this type of behaviour.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 AM   #516
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The language localization support of Kobo is very poor. I wonder if language localization is on the radar during beta tests. IMHO, clearly not enough.

I.e.: simple text messages don't fit into the reserved box for many languages.
Reading settings
Show page number in margin
Track reading activity

English, French, French (Canadian), German(*), Dutch, Italian(*), Spanish, Portugese, Portugease (Brasil)

(*) text almost fit into the boxes, but still characters are cut off.

Above: applicable to Glo and Touch.

Small and unnecessary errors which could be fixed easily if Kobo cared at all.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #517
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuifui View Post
On my Glo, I can't get several PDFs to show correctly. They are just cropped on the right side and on the bottom, so the display won't show the whole text. (It is like a 3rd or 4th of the PDF that is missing).
see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245627
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #518
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Just discovered a bug after the 3.8.0 update on my Kobo Glo:

From the homepage, when you select "Extras > Reading stats", it opens an empty screen with the title "Reading Life Awards" on the top and a "Share on facebook" on the bottom.

When you close this buggy page, it opens the Reading stats page.

Not sure this bug is new but that's the first time I see it.
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #519
gioele
gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
The Italian localization is broken (but funny)

The messages used for the Italian interface are often quite broken, to the point of being completely indecipherable (and sometimes involuntarily funny).

The translation is getting worse release after release. The first Kobo Touch had only few very minor mistakes, the 3.8.0 firmware is full of confusing messages.

I reported the first mistakes I have seen. They have been acknowledged but never fixed, at the same time many other have been added. The Italian help address never answered any of my email.

If someone from Kobo is reading, I volunteer to do a complete translation of the interface for free. It will never be worse than what is there right now.
gioele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #520
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reading Stats
  • Dutch text is cut off at the bottom of the screen for "Total hours of reading"
  • the language pop up screen under the Extras tab does not change if the device language settings are changed.
    If you change the language of the device, the pop up screen under the Extras tab displays a different (previous selected) language.

To change the language of this pop up screen the device requires a reboot.

Test: Kobo Glo/fw 3.8.0

Last edited by Anak; 09-18-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: + fw 3.8.0
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #521
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Reading Stats
  • Dutch text is cut off at the bottom of the screen for "Total hours of reading"
  • the language pop up screen under the Extras tab does not change if the device language settings are changed.
    If you change the language of the device, the pop up screen under the Extras tab displays a different (previous selected) language.

To change the language of this pop up screen the device requires a reboot.

Test: Kobo Glo/fw 3.8.0
Yes, I've seen it. When switching from English to French, some elements stay in English ...
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:38 AM   #522
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question parameters hiccups

Since my aura HD crashed, I've been using exclusively the aura 6" - and that means intensively. I feel the battery goes down quickly - 60% yesterday night after a day's reading, and I do sleep and have outside activities, but I'll have to check more accurately how long I've read since the last full charge.

I had set parameters so that the sleep cover was blank, with just the line bottom left indicating whether it was sleeping or off, but when I turned to sleep mode yesterday night I just got a sort of cover (2 embedded rectangles framing a small horizontal line in the center), grey margins at the side. I went to the parameters, and the screen saver options block had disappeared.

When I turned it completely off the margins at the side went black. When I turned it on again, everything went back to normal.

Anybody had this happening? I use sideloaded 3.8.

Last edited by anacreon; 09-20-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the maximum delay for turning off was 60'
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #523
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
Observation re Kobo Touch freezing/delay while reading:

Interesting observation re Kobo Touch freezing/delay while reading:

I'm not sure whether this result followed another attempt at a factory reset or not, but I recently increased the size of my font to about what it was before this problem started and - you guessed it - the freezing problem STOPPED!!!

That, and the fact that the freezing can be better described as a "slow processing", makes me feel that the problem has to do with memory buffering.

What makes it even more interesting is that my wife's Kobo Touch (same vintage and same books as mine) never had this freezing problem - (although it does have the "Annotation/Bookmark problem" that we've both been experiencing since updating to firmware 3.8) - AND THE FONT SHE USES IS LARGER THAN THE ONE I WAS USING WHEN I EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #524
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
Well after a few days of no trouble, my Kobo Touch started the freeze/delay (For about 2-3 minutes) problem while I'm reading.

Any suggestions.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #525
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It seems that the Nickel reader (firmware 3.5.0) doesn't like when the OPF and NCX files have different uid. This is required by the spec, if I remember correctly, so it could be argued that it's not a bug, but other readers can easily ignore this, while Kobo fails miserably (black screen when using the TOC, or crash and back to homepage when turning a page, with the book marked as finished).

The two book series I have bought (in ePub format, different publishers, not from Kobo), have this problem. Fortunately I'm a "power user" and I have been able to fix them, otherwise I'd be really pissed off. This kind of thing is worse than DRM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app