Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #16
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Cfrizz: I was talking about the market for the physical item, the e-ink reader, in the US, not the market for ebooks. The e-ink reader is indeed becoming less relevant, but I don't think it's entirely irrelevant to the point where people will stop buying/making them. I agree that the ebook market will continue on regardless of the fate of Nook.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The death of the brand doesn't necessarily mean the end of the bookstore.
Have any of the other (US available) brands the read ePubs installed the version of ADE that will read the B&N version of ePubs?

I loved my Sony, and I fully agree with all who say it's safest to strip the DRM while you can, but there are lots of folks who don't know how, don't know they need to, or are to afraid - because of the legal issues - to try. I was always frustrated that Sony wouldn't include the upgraded ADE.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #18
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If the publishers wised up and stopped with the DRM Barnes & Noble could also sell mobi format books as well as epub. If they are no longer making their own ereader why not? Then they could have access to the kindle owners without the expence of manufacturing their own reader.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #19
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I read list of companies doomed.

I am sorry Olympus on the list.

B&N not much concern personally.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
B&N isn't even in the top 10 players there. They and Amazon are basically the only people selling ereaders in the US currently, and they seem to be the only people actually interested in it.
And, not-so-surprisingly, that is how B&N wanted it.
They were the ones that started the four hour price war and turned the ereader into a near-cost pricing business and effectively forclosed the market to the hardware-only vendors.

There are still plenty of ereaders available to those that might want them; they're just not sold at cost.

The Nook business has always been about ebooks not about the readers.
ebooks are mainstream but ereaders may not be. The meme du jour seems to be that ereaders are fading into nichedom before tablets+reading apps. I'm not totally convinced but if it plays out that way, well, that is the way the customers voted their wallets.
(shrug)
Maybe pocketbook, Onyx, or Bookeen get to make a US impact if Nook does in fact get out o ereaders.
Or maybe new tech changes the subject.
We'll see.
We'll adjust.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
I read list of companies doomed.

I am sorry Olympus on the list.
Olympus deserves death.
Seriously rotten inside and run like a criminal organization.
Of all the companies on this warning list they are the most likely to fall.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banya...lympus-scandal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #22
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
B&N just sent me a coupon to buy the Nook HD+ for $149. I'm thinking about it. I currently use the Nook Tablet and am quite happy with it. But then, I'm really only interested in using it as an ebook and emagazine reader. Occasionally I'll use the Netflix app, but it is so rare, that the ability to watch video on the tablet is meaningless. I don't use any other apps.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
Cfrizz: I was talking about the market for the physical item, the e-ink reader, in the US, not the market for ebooks. The e-ink reader is indeed becoming less relevant, but I don't think it's entirely irrelevant to the point where people will stop buying/making them. I agree that the ebook market will continue on regardless of the fate of Nook.
Well Sony is still in the game, and is always my first choice for an e-ink reader. However, my PRS-T1 is seeing very little use since I got my Samsung GMP5 and Nexus. It will probably be my last e-ink device.

There is also Kobo and I think a few others. I think if Nook disappears, the other e-ink will probably step up to the plate to try and fill the void but will have to drop their prices to do so to compete not only with each other but also with the continuing to grow tablet market.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Have any of the other (US available) brands the read ePubs installed the version of ADE that will read the B&N version of ePubs?
I can't vouch for it but I've heard that the PC ADE will convert/authorize B&N-drm'ed ebooks upon download to a generic Adept reading device.

Try getting a free Nook book (I hear they give some away on fridays) and then try to ADE-it to your Sony.

It might work.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

This:
http://www.thepassivevoice.com/05/20...comment-108693

Quote:

Kat Sheridan
May 25, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I got an email from Barnes & Noble this morning advertising ‘buy one e-book, get one free”. Here were the instructions:

How to Get Your FREE NOOK Book:
1.From this list below, choose which NOOK Book you want to purchase and which NOOK Book you want to receive for free (the free NOOK Book will be the lower-priced). Then visit any Barnes & Noble retail store.

Print a PDF of the qualifying NOOK Books here.

2.At checkout, the cashier will ask for your email address. Your store receipt will feature access codes for the two (2) NOOK Books, and you will receive access codes via email as well.

3.Visit BN.COM/redeem and use your access codes to receive your purchased and free NOOK Books.

If I were to get a similar offer from Amazon, the instructions would read:

1. Click here
2. Choose your books
3. Enjoy reading them!
Old 05-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
How not to give away free books by Barnes and Noble
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #27
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Re: That offer.

Damn, they've given up, haven't they?
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Nook business has always been about ebooks not about the readers.
If that's the case, then why sell ebooks with drm that can only be used by their own ereaders? I know enough to strip drm, but most people don't.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
If that's the case, then why sell ebooks with drm that can only be used by their own ereaders? I know enough to strip drm, but most people don't.
Indeed. Why.
Tells you about how B&N has run Nook, no?
My best guess (and it's just a guess) is they are cribbing.
And they're cribbing from Apple more than Amazon. Problem is B&N is no Apple.

For Amazon a proprietary DRM makes sense--no adobe tax=competitive advantage--but Nook *is* paying Adobe to support their drm anyway!
If they *only* supported the ereader DRM, it would make some sense. If the *store* supported both--like Kobo does--it would make sense. Supporting both on hardware but only one at the store? I dunno...

As is, they aggressively drove all profits out of the hardware so their only revenue is the books.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-26-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Sales at the company’s Nook segment, which includes both the e-reader and online books, declined by 26% between the third quarter of 2012 and the third quarter of 2013.
The third quarter of 2013 hasn't even begun yet...
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote