Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #1696
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
Downloaded those twelve files just fine. I found another existing fanfic by one of those authors already in my library from before this update, confirmed that the author had been "split" and not linked, and then when I told FFDL to update the epub it corrected it. So all good!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #1697
DocBrown13
DocBrown13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad
I have been having a problem updating anthologies with Calibre/FanFictionDownloader, I am getting the following error:

calibre, version 1.1.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 32] Broken pipe

calibre 1.1 isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Darwin-12.4.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '12.4.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 12.4.0: Wed May 1 17:57:12 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.24.15~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.4
OSX: ('10.8.4', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/proceed.py", line 118, in do_ask_question
File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.ffdl_ plugin", line 1308, in do_download_merge_update
File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.ffdl_ plugin", line 1174, in update_books_finish
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

See below for the two story links used -
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9100260/1/
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9359857/1/
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #1698
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown13 View Post
I have been having a problem updating anthologies with Calibre/FanFictionDownloader, I am getting the following error:
File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.ffdl_ plugin", line 1174, in update_books_finish
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
I don't see any error when I run it. Might be a Mac difference. It's very odd. What's at line 1174 is a simple print statement.

Right after it, however, is a call to calibre.ptempfile remove_dir to remove a temporary directory. That's a more likely candidate to me.

Here's an experiment to try: If you try to an anthology update on a book that isn't an FFDL anthology, after it warns you and you click 'ok', it makes the same call. See if it errors there for you, too.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:00 AM   #1699
Sculptor
Sculptor began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy S4 GT-I9500
I was creating custom covers for the sites I use and I noticed that adultfanfictions is not there in the sites list.

Would it be possible to add that in the next release?

If there is another way to add custom cover automatically for the site, I would appreciate if you could let me know.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #1700
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I was creating custom covers for the sites I use and I noticed that adultfanfictions is not there in the sites list.

Would it be possible to add that in the next release?
Hi, I can reply to that as I was browsing the FAQs just yesterday and they're still opened on my browser, they say:

Quote:
None of the current developers are interested in writing code to support it because of the ominous legal warnings and requirements to access the site:
adultfanfiction.net
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #1701
DocBrown13
DocBrown13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I don't see any error when I run it. Might be a Mac difference. It's very odd. What's at line 1174 is a simple print statement.

Right after it, however, is a call to calibre.ptempfile remove_dir to remove a temporary directory. That's a more likely candidate to me.

Here's an experiment to try: If you try to an anthology update on a book that isn't an FFDL anthology, after it warns you and you click 'ok', it makes the same call. See if it errors there for you, too.
I have tried the suggested experiment on a couple of different books none of which bring back the same error (or any error, other than the warning).
Old 08-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #1702
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown13 View Post
I have tried the suggested experiment on a couple of different books none of which bring back the same error (or any error, other than the warning).
Please try the attached version. Run it in debug mode (calibre-debug -g from a command line prompt) and send me what you see in the command line window.

I have no idea why it might be erroring there, this version is just to try and confirm which line of code is the problem.

Nobody else needs to try this version--unless you're having the same problem.

UPDATE Aug 31, 2013 -- Remove obsolete beta versions (latest version still has this)

Last edited by JimmXinu; 08-31-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 08-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #1703
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
JimmXinu, is there a setting I could use in personal.ini to add the tag Crossover to all crossover stories from fanfiction.net (e.g. this one)? Or would you have to implement that first? (If so, could you, pretty please? )
Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #1704
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Tomorrow View Post
JimmXinu, is there a setting I could use in personal.ini to add the tag Crossover to all crossover stories from fanfiction.net (e.g. this one)? Or would you have to implement that first? (If so, could you, pretty please? )
It's not a bad idea. But I also have to consider people who may not want it, since that's the current behavior. Plus what about other sites?

This is what I think is the best compromise. A new parameter (that currently defaults to off) to add a value you choose to genre when there's more than one category. So you'd add this to personal.ini:
Code:
## Add this to genre if there's more than one category.
add_genre_when_multi_category: Crossover
Give this a try, see what you think. I'd also be interested to know if people think it should be on by default.

UPDATE Aug 31 2013 -- Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 08-31-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 08-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #1705
Sculptor
Sculptor began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy S4 GT-I9500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
Hi, I can reply to that as I was browsing the FAQs just yesterday and they're still opened on my browser, they say:
Ahh yes I think I remember reading that before. Thanks for the reply. I was sure I downloaded stories from there with this plugin but it must have been with another program.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #1706
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
This is what I think is the best compromise. A new parameter (that currently defaults to off) to add a value you choose to genre when there's more than one category. So you'd add this to personal.ini:
Code:
Give this a try, see what you think. I'd also be interested to know if people think it should be on by default.
This version actually implements it correctly instead of hardcoding 'Crossover'.

UPDATE Aug 31, 2013 -- Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 08-31-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 08-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #1707
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Smile Thanks!

Quote:
It's not a bad idea. But I also have to consider people who may not want it, since that's the current behavior. Plus what about other sites?

Code:
Thanks (as always ^^) for your incredibly fast response!
I downloaded the updated one from your later post and it works :-).

As for other sites, on searching for Crossover, I've got a dozen AO3 ones that are already tagged that (not by me), so AO3 already adds this on its own.

I would be fine with it being opt-in, as it could lead to a sudden unexpected change/addition to the genre field people might not like ... (e.g. when updating a story where the summary changed, even so much as an additional letter already throws off the Kindle's notes and bookmarks [hardcoded to byte position], so I for one have disabled all metadata fields except date from updating to prevent the header/splash page changes that would shift my note positions. BTW, does "Update EPUB" only add the new chapters, or does it update the old ones too? Stories like HPMOR with regular changes to earlier chapters are a bit of headache with the Kindle's primitive system of note positioning ...)

Last edited by Dylan Tomorrow; 08-31-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #1708
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Thanks (as always ^^) for your incredibly fast response!
I downloaded the updated one from your later post and it works :-).
You're welcome, thanks for confirming it.

Quote:
As for other sites, on searching for Crossover, I've got a dozen AO3 ones that are already tagged that (not by me), so AO3 already adds this on its own.
Only if the author tags it such. Some sites include Crossover (or Crossovers) as a category or as a genre. It's very inconsistent.

Quote:
BTW, does "Update EPUB" only add the new chapters, or does it update the old ones too? Stories like HPMOR with regular changes to earlier chapters are a bit of headache with the Kindle's primitive system of note positioning ...)
Update takes the chapter text HTML from the existing files, but chapter titles from the site.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #1709
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Version 1.7.39 - 31 Aug 2013
  • Remove work around for last_modified vs author link update issue in calibre 1.0.0--fixed in 1.1.0.
  • New Feature: add_genre_when_multi_category setting
  • Work around calibre's auto-split when author contains 'and' 'with' ',' or '&'.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #1710
richreads
Connoisseur
richreads began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Glo,
add series information

Hi.
Is there a way to have the plugin automatically add a default series and index value?
For instance when downloading a story from fanfiction always set the series as FF[0]
Closed Thread