Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
File naming on Kindle

I will try to remember to log a ticket for this on calibre-ebook (can't remember my password & haven't succeeded in resetting it yet), but here it is:

When naming a file that's being sent to Kindle, calibre 'flattens' the name to use just ASCII (or maybe ISO-8859-1 or some such). This is still reasonable for pre-K3 devices, but K3 supports a much broader range of scripts for display now.

In particular, Kindle uses the PDF filename as the Title that's displayed in the item list (even when there is Title PDF metadata). One might question whether that's 'correct' behavior (PDF metadata is often filled in automatically with bad values, so I can see why they might do this), but as long as that remains to be the case, I'd like to be able to have filenames that use extended Latin characters, Cyrillic or what have you.

I currently have my Save template set to {author_sort}/{title}, but have to rename the file after Sending in some cases to get the display name I want to see on Kindle, because of the aforementioned 'flattening'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's not going to change. Filesystem support for non ascii characters is truly atrocious. There is no way to find out what encoding a given filesystem allows and anyway it depends on both the filesystem and the kernel being used to mount it.

You should bug amazon to support PDF metadata.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

You should bug amazon to support PDF metadata.
Yes, I'll do that.

Kindle does seem to support PDF metadata somewhat, but it is funky: sometimes it displays Title/Author on the item options screen (along with the filename), sometimes just Author, sometimes nothing. I've tried saving with various PDF compatibility options, to no avail. Presumably Kindle is using Adobe's Mobile Reader SDK to get at this stuff so maybe Adobe could be blamed for this inconsistent behavior.

In the meantime I'll just edit my filenames manually - there are not that many now, and I don't expect many in the future.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote