Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #31
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I just started Assassins Apprentice. Very good so far! Thanks for posting the links.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I just started Assassins Apprentice. Very good so far! Thanks for posting the links.
Their evil plot worked! Now you 'need' the other two books in the trilogy, plus the two related trilogies.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #33
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
I really would like to try those on my iphone : anyone knows how to get the kindle for iphone app from outside the US ?
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #34
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
ErwinOtten-

I use mobipocket creator, and it worked fine. http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ilsCreator.asp

Perhaps your pdf got corrupted somehow? Maybe downloading a new copy would help?

I just download the file, save to hard drive, open mobi creator, select the pdf I want to convert, select import, and it converts. The result doesn't have the best formatting, but it's readable. And you can modify it if you want to.

In fact, it would probably work if you just dragged and dropped the pdf into mobi desktop reader, library view, but the result isn't modifiable.

I hope that helps.
Thanks for the info. It works with Mobipocket creator.

Strange that Calibre says it's DRM-protected...
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #35
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Good grief, I appreciate that it's free, but could the publishers spend, like, five minutes to make the ubiquitous maps in sci-fi/fantasy books Kindle-friendly? The one in Red Mars is equally useless.

(Anyone know where I might find this image online, so I could, you know, see it?)
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #36
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Good grief, I appreciate that it's free, but could the publishers spend, like, five minutes to make the ubiquitous maps in sci-fi/fantasy books Kindle-friendly? The one in Red Mars is equally useless.

(Anyone know where I might find this image online, so I could, you know, see it?)

Can't ask for everything , now can we :_)
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #37
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know, in all seriousness, I think we should demand the same standards in ebooks that we expect in print books. These books may be free now, but next week or next month they'll be charging for them, and expecting us to buy the sequels.

I wouldn't find an illegible illustration (or bad formatting, or a lack of proofreading, or any of the other problems common to ebooks) acceptable in a print illustration. So no, I don't think they're acceptable in ebooks, either.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem with a lot of ebooks, especially older ones, is that the files were originally created with PDA's in mind. I don't know if putting larger images in would screw things up for PDA/Smaller screen users or if the images would just scale to fit.

I do agree that the maps in most ebooks suck big time. It's to bad pretty much all publishers have a pretty non existent feedback system in place for their customers.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #39
whitearrow
Guru

But if they know they are making a Kindle edition, then it should be with the Kindle in mind first and foremost. It doesn't need to be exactly the same as the fictionwise version for Palm or whatever.

If I can scan the image from the hard copy, put a few minutes of effort into figuring out the proper size and aspect ratio (kindleformatting.com) and end up with a version with a totally readable map, I don't see why the publisher can't do the same.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
But if they know they are making a Kindle edition, then it should be with the Kindle in mind first and foremost. It doesn't need to be exactly the same as the fictionwise version for Palm or whatever.

If I can scan the image from the hard copy, put a few minutes of effort into figuring out the proper size and aspect ratio (kindleformatting.com) and end up with a version with a totally readable map, I don't see why the publisher can't do the same.
Because they're lazy and not making a Kindle specific edition, most Kindle files are just re-purposed old Mobipocket files. Even the cover images are tiny in a lot of the files. I agree it's not that hard to do & they should do it. I've taken some of my ebooks apart and "fixed" them, but it get's old having to do it.

As far as Red Mars maps...
http://www.scificincinnati.com/redmars_page.htm
http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/cele...lok/index.html

or Google Books. or maybe the freebie PDF version has a better map.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-11-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #41
whitearrow
Guru

Thanks for the map info
Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #42
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
A quick update, Suvudu has multiple formats for these books now, all available through http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/. From what they are implying on the site this is just the beginning for Random House's Free Library.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
A quick update, Suvudu has multiple formats for these books now, all available through http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/. From what they are implying on the site this is just the beginning for Random House's Free Library.
What they have is PDF (we know how bad that is), AZW (needs a Kindle), and LRX (need a Sony Reader). So if you do not have a Sony Reader or Kindle, you won't get a decent copy for your reader unless you have an iRex. They have it for the Kindle so why not put them up in Mobipocket? That would then satisfy everyone.

Also, the layout of the site is way too busy. It's like trying to watch all the flashing lights in Vegas at the same time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #44
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Yes, Randon House seems to be embracing DMR laden distribution fully while making every effort to maximize profits. I am afraid that we will be seeing more and more of this as publishers attempt to adapt to the new medium. Whether this distribution system will prove to be more profitable and sustainable than the WebScription system or the more "traditional" ebook store system remains to be seen. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Barns and Nobel entry into this field. If B&N adopts a DMR free multi-platform distribution system it could force Amazon and publishers to rethink their current position while giving publishers access to a turnkey distribution system that reaches more customers and devices.

Meanwhile a new free library is no bad thing even with the DMR. I probably won't be buying books from Random House but, since I am Kindlized, I will be taking advantage of every freebie I can get.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that these eBooks while free are not free enough. They give in 2 eBook formats and and one non-eBook format. They've totally ignored all the people using Mobipocket. They really need to learn how to do this right. eBooks are not something that can be screwed up without repercussions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote