Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #61
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I wasn't aware of this Sigil plugin, however it's a long time since I used it. Has it been extended to open AZW3 and KEPUB books these days?

IIRC Sigil used to make some fairly significant structural auto-changes during opening. Is this still the case? IMO this is not necessarily helpful when the aim is troubleshooting. Does anyone else have an opinion?
I think the plugin can be converted to a Calibre plugin without much trouble.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #62
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@jackie_w Hey, I am delighted by calibre plugins, I have no objections whatsoever to them being made

And I agree with Jellby, this plugin will be useful regardless of what MR decides.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Jackie,

The moderating team has discussed the question you raised, and we're happy to give you the go-ahead for this suggested work, provided that the following conditions are met:

1. All text, table of contents, headings, textual metadata, etc, must be replaced with scrambled text.
2. All images must be replaced with scrambled images or removed.

Provided that your suggested plug-in produces output which satisfies these conditions, there would be no problem in uploading such output to MobileRead's forums.

One thing to bear in mind with any book is that it might contain embedded fonts that could be protected by copyright. Given that there is no practical method for the tool to know whether or not a font is protected by copyright, and that it could significantly alter the functionality of the book to simply delete the fonts, please make sure that you prominently request users of your tool to ensure that a book contains no copyrighted fonts before uploading it.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions about this.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-17-2015 at 01:30 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #64
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One thing to bear in mind with any book is that it might contain embedded fonts that could be protected by copyright. Given that there is no practical method for the tool to know whether or not a font is protected by copyright, and that it could significantly alter the functionality of the book to simply delete the fonts, please make sure that you prominently request users of your tool to ensure that a book contains no copyrighted fonts before uploading it.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions about this.
Thanks, Harry!

Re: the fonts, I'd already given this some more thought and think it would be safest just to delete all embedded fonts (obfuscated and non-obfuscated) for the Mark I version. Whether it results in a significantly less useful utility in practical terms remains to be seen.

I'll post an alpha (non-plugin version) in this thread tomorrow with the hope that some of you will try it out on some of your own books and report back if there are any glaring errors or missed scrambling.

ETA: If its possible to 100% reliably determine which fonts are obfuscated perhaps we can leave them in but I'm not familiar enough with the details at the moment. Perhaps Kovid can offer some guidance.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-17-2015 at 02:55 PM. Reason: obfuscated fonts
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #65
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@HarryT,

I do have a another question regarding digits 0-9 contained in the main text content.

Originally I left all digits unscrambled.
Pros - less confusion when clicking footnote hyperlinks and numeric TOC entries would match their numeric heading/footnote 'other end'.
Cons - copyright page would contain unscrambled ISBNs - which may be a dealbreaker

If digits need to be scrambled, which of the following would be most acceptable. Replace each digit with:
  1. a random digit (1 in 10 chance of not being scrambled)
  2. a digit guaranteed to be different from the correct one
  3. use a single digit everywhere, e.g. all digits displayed as zero
  4. replace all digits with a random alpha A-Z char
  5. something else I haven't thought of
Advert
Old 10-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd go for option 1 personally.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #67
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'd go for option 1 personally.
OK, thanks, I'll use that for Mark I.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #68
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Sorry for the delay in responding, but I wanted to talk to the rest of the moderating team first to ensure that I had my facts straight.

You can take this as official MR policy when I say that we have never permitted people to upload copyrighted material for diagnostic purposes, whether password-protected or otherwise. DiapDealer, who is a long-time moderator of the Sigil forum, tells me that in that forum they always make it absolutely clear to people who may be experiencing problems with books that they must not upload any copyrighted files (unless, of course, it's the author who is uploading it). Your statement that:

is simply untrue.

To reiterate, we never have, do not, and never will allow copyrighted books to be uploaded to MR without the copyright holder's permission, and the presence or absence of a password on the upload does not alter that policy. This is the policy of the moderating team, not the opinion of me or any other individual moderator.

Uploading a short sample of material is of course, "fair use", and is permissible.

I hope this clarifies the matter to everyone's satisfaction.
I appear to have been mistaken, sorry.

I'd just like to say, I am 99% sure I have seen people do this. I may be guilty of exaggerating how often, and I certainly can't bring to mind any instance of a moderator discussing it, truth be told -- so I am probably misremembering something at least.
(Perhaps I saw moderators active in the same thread, and mentally associated the two, and don't know the difference now, months or years later?)

I still don't see why there should be a problem, though.
And even more so why here should be a problem with a book that isn't password-protected, but irreversibly turned into gibberish.

EDIT: And I see the decision has been made that gibberish is acceptable.
So I suppose it is a good thing we now have a decent alternative. (Because again, I am pretty sure I have seen the password route taken, whether it was condoned/noticed, or not.)

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-17-2015 at 09:19 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #69
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@jackie_w: The container object will have an attribute named obfuscated_fonts that will allow you to know which fonts are obfuscated.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:54 AM   #70
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
From a cryptographic point of view, (2) is the worst one. Since then you have some information about the original digit left.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #71
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
@HarryT,

I do have a another question regarding digits 0-9 contained in the main text content.

Originally I left all digits unscrambled.
Pros - less confusion when clicking footnote hyperlinks and numeric TOC entries would match their numeric heading/footnote 'other end'.
Cons - copyright page would contain unscrambled ISBNs - which may be a dealbreaker

If digits need to be scrambled, which of the following would be most acceptable. Replace each digit with:
Could it be possible to use a * to indicate a hyperlink to a footnote/endnote? But if all other text in the book is scrambled, who could guess/know what is the original book though the digits were unscrambled to indicate footnotes/endnotes? If noone can know what is the original book even with the numbers of footnotes/endnotes unscrambled, to me is fair to maintain the original order.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 10-18-2015 at 07:48 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #72
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Could it be possible to use a * to indicate a hyperlink to a footnote/endnote? But if all other text in the book is scrambled, who could guess/know what is the original book though the digits were unscrambled to indicate footnotes/endnotes? If noone can know what is the original book even with the numbers of footnotes/endnotes unscrambled, to me is fair to maintain the original order.
It's difficult to see a moral objection to that (I've been wrong before, though) but it's not immediately obvious to me how to do it with the html parser. If the link was simple like:
<a href="...">1</a> it would be easy to do, but if there was lots of rats nesting like this
<a href="..."><span...> <sup ...><span ...>1</span> </sup></a>
then it would be harder to associate the 1 with the <a> tag rather than the innermost <span>. I'm not saying it's not possible, there's probably a 'parser nesting technique' well known to lxml parsing experts. I just don't know it. Always willing to be educated though
Old 10-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It's difficult to see a moral objection to that (I've been wrong before, though) but it's not immediately obvious to me how to do it with the html parser. If the link was simple like:
<a href="...">1</a> it would be easy to do, but if there was lots of rats nesting like this
then it would be harder to associate the 1 with the <a> tag rather than the innermost <span>. I'm not saying it's not possible, there's probably a 'parser nesting technique' well known to lxml parsing experts. I just don't know it. Always willing to be educated though
Sounds like a "version X" enhancement . I should get the basic features sorted first and worry about the bells and whistles later on!
Old 10-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I appear to have been mistaken, sorry.

I'd just like to say, I am 99% sure I have seen people do this. I may be guilty of exaggerating how often, and I certainly can't bring to mind any instance of a moderator discussing it, truth be told -- so I am probably misremembering something at least.
I'm not saying that people have never done it - they almost certainly have - but they would have been firmly asked not to do it again had it come to the attention of the moderating team .
Old 10-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #75
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
then it would be harder to associate the 1 with the <a> tag rather than the innermost <span>.
Ok, I can understand that You started this thread as a "kobo thread" (thinking in Kobo books though your utility is useful for any ebook). Since ereaders now are supporting several epub3 features (ADE now has almost full support of epub3), maybe you could maintain the numbers unscrumbled when you find something like:

Code:
    <p>something <a epub:type="noteref" href="#fn01">1</a></p>
    …
    <aside id="fn01" epub:type="footnote">
        Some footnote content
    </aside>
In those cases, is doubtless that numbers belong to a footnote. What do you say?
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote