Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #121
jswinden
Nameless Being

I never did an actual time test on mine, but it feels like my iPad mini Retina and iPhone 5 are both keeping a charge about the same or better as they were in 7.0.x. So no complaints on my end.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #122
jswinden
Nameless Being

iOS 7.1.1 released for bug fixes

Apple released iOS 7.1.1 today. It is solely for bug fixes.

Here is a MacRumors article about it.

Quote:
Apple today released iOS 7.1.1 to the public, a month and a half after releasing its first major update, iOS 7.1. While iOS 7.1 included several visual tweaks along with the addition of CarPlay, Siri improvements, and Touch ID enhancements, today's minor update focuses only on bug fixes.

iOS 7.1.1, labeled as build 11D201, offers additional improvements to Apple's Touch ID, fixes a bug that impacts keyboard responsiveness, and fixes a bug involving Bluetooth keyboards with VoiceOver enabled. The update also includes Safari support for new top-level domains like .photo and .camera.

This update contains improvements, bug fixes and security updates, including:

- Further improvements to Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Fixes a bug that could impact keyboard responsiveness
- Fixes an issue when using Bluetooth keyboards with VoiceOver enabled

iOS 7.1.1 can be downloaded via the software update tool in the settings menu on iOS devices.

Apple has also released a 6.1.1 update for the Apple TV.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-22-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 12:42 AM   #123
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Updated 4S and as usual I forgot to check bluetooth which *always* gets switched on with the updates. God knows why, I don't use bluetooth, *ever* with my phone. Only use it with the ipad/bt keyboard. Never with the iPad mini either, and yet, there it is, on again.

Battery depleting +++
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:32 AM   #124
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Apple intends to do that. After every update, Bluetooth turns on because Apple want you to use iBeacon. Without Bluetooth, iBeacon does not work.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:00 AM   #125
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Apple intends to do that. After every update, Bluetooth turns on because Apple want you to use iBeacon. Without Bluetooth, iBeacon does not work.
Tough. I do not want to use iBeacon whatever the hell that is. IF BT is on for me, its because I very occasionally use a bluetooth headset. Its once every few months. I have absolutely no need of it at other times.

[edit] Just read about iBeacon. I want to use it even less now than I did when I didnt know what it was. MARKETING??? No thanks.
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #126
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree with you. I do not use Bluetooth at all and it's annoying when it gets turned on by default especially when I don't realize that it is. Really drains my iPhone's battery quickly.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #127
jswinden
Nameless Being

I leave BT set to On for my iPhone 5 because I often use a BT headset when inside and my Toyota Prius C will automatically connect with my iPhone via BT when I get into it. I tried leaving BT off and then turning it on only when I needed it, but it is too easy for me to forget to turn it on. So now I leave it on all the time, but only turn on the BT headset if I make/answer a call. I really don't have battery drain issues, but that might be because I micro-manage everything related to battery drain to limit which apps have access to cellular, etc.

Here are a few good links to tips for managing battery usage:

Last edited by jswinden; 04-24-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #128
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I leave BT set to On for my iPhone 5 because I often use a BT headset when inside and my Toyota Prius C will automatically connect with my iPhone via BT when I get into it. I tried leaving BT off and then turning it on only when I needed it, but it is too easy for me to forget to turn it on. So now I leave it on all the time, but only turn on the BT headset if I make/answer a call. I really don't have battery drain issues, but that might be because I micro-manage everything related to battery drain to limit which apps have access to cellular, etc.

Here are a few good links to tips for managing battery usage:
Siri drains battery? How come? I don't understand that. I dont even have 3G active when I'm at home, nor data. no point. It uses wifi or nothing.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #129
Gazella
Wizard

Siri runs in the background all the time so if you don't use it then there's no use leaving it on, just disable it.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #130
jswinden
Nameless Being

What Gazella said. I rarely use Siri, so when I heard it was a huge battery drainer I turned it off. My battery life went up quite a bit. For me Siri is more of a gimmick than a tool. It is good for looking up words in a dictionary and some other tasks, but I rarely used it so it serves me better to leave it turned off until I need it. When I need it, I turn it on temporarily.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:23 AM   #131
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Here's a ZDNet article about battery life improvement brought by the latest update.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 04-26-2014 at 03:26 AM.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #132
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Thanks for all the info about Siri. I didn't know that it was draining the battery when I wasn't using it. It's off for me now except for the few times I will use it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #133
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Siri runs in the background all the time so if you don't use it then there's no use leaving it on, just disable it.
Done. I never use it and become annoyed at times if my home button press is a bit too long. LOL.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:07 AM   #134
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
My iPad Air freezing problem under 7.1 had gotten so bad that I was considering doing a factory reset. It had gotten to where the iPad was unresponsive for up to a minute every time I unlocked it. The other night I decided to wait until morning to do the factory reset, and then that morning I got the notice that 7.1.1 was ready to install. Lo and behold... no more freezing since installing 7.1.1! Whew... dodged a bullet there.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #135
Gazella
Wizard

iOS 7.1 released

My iPhone 5 started to freeze. I have to lock it and then turn it back on to stop the freezing. Yesterday, I was in the middle of typing an email when my iPhone suddenly froze, I got so mad that I literally threw it on the floor. I had to turn it off and back on to make it work again