Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #16
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Hi,

Does anyone have the man or help pages for eips? What commands are there?

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
eips is a custom amazon command that we do not have source for. You can do just "eips" and then try all the options, or better yet, look at all the ways it is used in the startup scripts in the kindles.

It can display text (eips x y "text"), and images (eips -g file.png), and can even scroll the text display (eips -z 2 38). It can also display a pretty pattern (eips -p), and clear the screen (eips -c). Adding -f makes it do a full flash update (eips -f -c, eips -f -g, etc.)...

To just refresh changes to the framebuffer you can do eips '' (as seen in the "algorithmic art script" thread).

Combining -f with other options is really limited to K4 and Touch. On K3 you are better not combining it with other options.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-29-2012 at 02:51 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Thanks GM. I tried all the commands you listed and works.

Best Regards,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #19
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check out examples showing how I abused eips beyond its usefulness in a script in this new "tinysh - tiny limited onscreen shell" thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173657
Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 AM   #20
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I did notice that "dd" seems to be more reliable for copying from the framebuffer than cat (I do not know why)
It could be because by default cat uses buffering, while dd doesn't.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Check if the copy of dd you are using supports the seek= and skip= options.

Those would give you access to the last (or other selected) line.
skip= for skipping the un-wanted lines on a fb read.
seek= to seek past the un-changed lines on a fb write.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Huh?

If you look at almost any script I have published that uses the framebuffer, I have been using dd skip and seek parameters, so apparently they *do* work. You can check if they are supported by typing "dd" with no parameters, to see usage. I have never yet seen any dd anywhere (even limited busybox versions) without both of those parameters. They are the main critical parameters (along with bs, count, if, and of) that distinguish "dd" from "cat".

And if what I said was that unclear, let me restate it: "dd" works great, but binary files copied with "cat" do not make good copies in all cases. I was just warning people to use dd instead. The busybox version of "cat" in some kindles may have a bug that makes it process embedded special characters even when its output is redirected. It seems that any time I try to reduce my text output word count, I get these confusing replies.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-03-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Huh?
Perhaps a bit of context would help you out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by novo
EDIT: GOT IT!
every line is count=20, so to only delete first line is:
dd if=/dev/fb0 bs=608 count=20 > /mnt/us/fb0.raw # save framebuffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1

See: You aren't the only poster on this forum I reply too.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #24
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Perhaps a bit of context would help you out:
See: You aren't the only poster on this forum I reply too.
Yes, that missing context would have saved my poor little brain from all that confusion. Your post followed mine, so with no embedded quote snippets to which you were repying, it looked like you were replying to me.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-29-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #25
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
May I ask you a question - what does the Home button use to clear the screen? is it 'eips -c' actually? I just discovered that 'eips -c' remains many artefacts when we're running some third-party applications on the Kindle Touch such as CoolReader3.
After 6 page refreshes I invoke 'eips -c' and redraw the full screen, but numerous artefacts remain.

Last edited by varnie; 04-03-2012 at 04:10 AM.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnie View Post
... what does the Home button use to clear the screen? ... I invoke 'eips -c' and redraw the full screen, but numerous artifacts remain.
As I mentioned in post#17 above, "adding -f makes it do a full flash update (eips -f -c, eips -f -g, etc.)..." Last time I used this command, I noticed that the "-c and -f" option order is important, and must be swapped like this:

You can use "eips -c -f" to do a "full flash clear" (black -> white), which clears off more eink display artifacts. (I fixed post #17, but the original is shown in blue above.)

You can look in the GPL source code to find the "definitive" answer to your Home button question, but my "guess" is that the Home button (indirectly) does an ioctl system call to do a "full flash clear". The "eips" command shown above probably does the same ioctl system call.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-03-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #27
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thank you, it works for my task.
Now all I need to figure out is how to tell/instruct eips not to clear the first 10-20 pixels from the top. The problem I have is that after I perform 'eips -c -f', then redraw a page completely, the header and footer areas (the two narrow strips, ~10 and ~20 pixels in height, respectively) are untouched.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #28
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnie View Post
Thank you, it works for my task.
Now all I need to figure out is how to tell/instruct eips not to clear the first 10-20 pixels from the top. The problem I have is that after I perform 'eips -c -f', then redraw a page completely, the header and footer areas (the two narrow strips, ~10 and ~20 pixels in height, respectively) are untouched.
Instead of "eips -c -f", you could use "eips -f -g 0 1 white.png" to "full flash" display an "all white" image starting at the 2nd text row, where the image is short enough that it does not over-write the footer area.

When using eips to display images with a starting position, the column position needs to be 0, or it just horizontally clips the image instead of moving it sideways. But the row position (0-39) works fine.

Another way (which I have actually used, unlike the method above) is to define a shell variable that contains 50 ascii space chars, and then just use eips to "print" that to lines 1 to 38 (with the -f option in your case):
PHP Code:
B="          ";B=$B$B$B$B$B # 50 spaces
for i in $(seq 1 1 38);do eips -f 0 $i "$B"done 
P.S. I personally do not like automatic full flash updates, preferring to provide a button or key to do a manual full flash update when the USER decides that the eink screen is "too dirty". In my experience, eink using fast updates behaves a lot like an "old-school" chalkboard. I taught computer programming at a junior college, and the kindle screen (even when "dirty", is MUCH better than a chalkboard that has been erased too many times since it was last washed). Here is a great example of what I mean by a display (or chalkboard) getting "too dirty" (and an EXCELLENT lecture, by the way): http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...83735068377717

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-03-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #29
handyguy
Connoisseur
handyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to behold

Device: PW4
Newby here looking for assistance with eips;
I am using eips to display small png files with single numeric digits for use as a clock. However, the display of the file is cropped and squashed. The files are 268px x 362px. Any ideas how to resolve this?
I figure I can display 4 clock digits by adjusting the x offset for the 2-4 digits.
Thanks!

Last edited by handyguy; 12-20-2019 at 02:17 PM.
handyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Shameless self-promotion: All Hail FBInk!.

As for an actual answer: eips is very particular as to how it wants a PNG to be encoded in order not to mangle it (IIRC, it expects what is roughly colloquially called PNG8. See the ScreenSavers' hack cover mode for all the nitty gritty details). That's probably what's happening here.

(FBInk is much more lenient on that front).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-20-2019 at 03:33 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote